Commentary is Gold

Hashy

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hey Big Ant,

Just bought this game and it's great, however I have one small issue which is the commentary. I know we can turn off the commentary, but for some of us it adds to the fun of the game, that being said, this would have to be the worst commentary I have ever heard in a cricket game...

How many times can this guys say "He's gone again"... I mean there are about 4 or 5 different versions of "He's gone again" and they are thrashed over, and over... and over. There is also the 'yobo' way in which they commentate, and the first two comments that come to mind are : "4 runs, thanks for coming" and then there is "4 runs, thank you very much"... I know this is an Australian release, but seriously these two commentators don't even remotely resemble the standard of Aussie cricket commentary. Your game is the greatest cricket game ever, but the commentary needs an overhaul for those who want to actually enjoy it with commentary turned on (in my humble opinion). AC 2009 and IC 2010 were no where the standard of DBC14, but I do not remember the commentary being so annoying. I realize that both those games had repetitive commentary, but I guess somewhere between the recognized voices, and the way the game would randomly start having the commentators rant on about stories, it seemed to flow better. It would be great if there was a commentators patch that would improve this aspect of the game, or something similar to randomize the games commentary a little better.

Just a small bit of feedback about an issue that may or may not be important and annoying to some, but I just wanted to give my feedback. Thanks to the great team at Big Ant for creating such a master piece. You guys rock!

Jadel

Club Captain
It is pretty bad.

That's not what "gold" means though

zombieian

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360

We used to do our own commentary whilst playing Subbuteo cricket back in the 70s. If the commentary in the game is that annoying, that might be an option. :yes

I bet nobody here remembers Subbuteo Cricket.

Last edited:

imhassan

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Seriously? The commentary is much 'smarter' and reflects the current situation of the game better than any other cricket game before.

While feedback is always good, instead of focusing on the repetitions of lines ( which even FIFA has ), please try to focus on the good about it.

It is definitely not the 'worst commentary' in a cricket game, for sure.

Last edited:

invisibleman18

Club Captain
I just love that my surname is on the list of commentary names. Never found it on any other game.

ambar_hitman

Club Captain
Commentary though minimal is damn accurate. All earlier cricket games had commentary getting bugged up after a while.

CallyT

School Cricketer
Commentary though minimal is damn accurate. All earlier cricket games had commentary getting bugged up after a while.

I've found it quite out of snyc tbh, I like it but have seen a few issues with it,

Hashy

School Cricketer
Seriously? The commentary is much 'smarter' and reflects the current situation of the game better than any other cricket game before.

While feedback is always good, instead of focusing on the repetitions of lines ( which even FIFA has ), please try to focus on the good about it.

It is definitely not the 'worst commentary' in a cricket game, for sure.

Remember with AC2009 and IC2010 how the commentators would start talking about different aspects of cricket or their own personal experiences in the game? Do real commentators do this? Of course they do. Do real commentators repeat "He's gone again... hes gone again" about 50 times in a game? Of course not. When was the last time we heard a cricket commentator say "4 runs, thanks for coming"?... Seriously? "Thanks for coming? It sounds like a couple of beer guzzling yobs down at the local bar (and there is nothing wrong with beer guzzling yobs, accept when possibly having them do cricket commentary). The commentary for this game is no where the standard of previous cricket games, where as the game of cricket it self in DBC14 is awesome. We were at the point where we turned off the commentary completely because everytime the guys says "He's gone again", we couldn't stop laughing, which eventually turned into being annoyed by it.

Most people would agree that when compared to FIFA 14 the commentary is not comparable in terms of repetitiveness. Even Shane Warne's Cricket 99's commentary didn't get on my nerves like this thing.

I think the game is the best cricket game in history, but pointing out what I perceive to be a flaw is a fair call and is only going to help the creators in future.

Last edited:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Ross himself has stated that commentary is one thing that could have been better and will be better in the future iteration. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Swarth

School Cricketer
do people find the commentary annoying or just the commentators? i dont know who one of those guys is but the other while knows what he is talking about sends everyone to sleep with his voice thanks to his monotone vocals when he is talking about football

phil1987

Club Captain
No matter how good commentary is in any sports game it will end up getting annoying after you play for a while. FIFA and NBA2K are the same.

Wish people would just get some good hours in and focus on the gameplay exclusively if they are looking to point out things about the game that need improving, because there is plenty.

The amount of pointless stuff some people are asking for is baffling.
-helicopter shots
-cheer leaders
-editing stadiums
-more different hairstyles
-more details on the scorecards
-more editing tools (even though the editing is pretty awesome in my opinion)
-commentators
-preset fields (when you can clearly make your own in the CA)
-brighter bats
-etc etc etc.

Surely the focus should be on gameplay, if we are asking for any changes.

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The gameplay is solid, can we please move on and make everything else nice now? Or you gonna say that for the rest of the century?

What is pointless to you might be important to others...stadium editor, pointless? Seriously?

Reading your past posts, mate, its a game! for a person to have fun, you seem too stressed out.
Cheers :)

Users who are viewing this thread