Commonwealth Bank Series

Mars Maximus

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yea I'm still amazed and shocked to be honest. I actually turned my tv off as Collingwood shouted in joy when he got the last run. The same shout that was from Adelaide when he got 200 in that test match. lol

Now I'm calm I say yea well done England. Certainly made the series finals come alive. Now all will want to know if Australia has an answer for the second final.

I think the Aussies should use the same players frome the ashes series hehe

Sureshot

Executive member
John Adams said:
Well what I see in this series so far is kinda like what happened to Germany in world war 2 :rolleyes: . The start of the CBA series for Australia was like 1939-41 was for Germany, "Good times" :happy and then later on when Australia was strugling and almost lost to NZ was like 1942 :mad: , then the loss to England was like 1943 :eek: , and tonight like 1944 :noway . Will the last final loss be Australias equivalent to Germanys 1945 war loss? :crying

lol

Of course just an observation on my part in the comparisons, that's all :)

And your V2 rockets are failing also.....

What if England won the next game?

Massive over-reaction by the English media no doubt, but what would the reaction be down under?

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
The Aussie press would praise Australia for the fight they showed against the world's best ODI team...

Mars Maximus

International Coach
Haha well wot is the English media saying about the win?

Here if the Aussies lose again they might be called Heroes to Zeroes lol or something like that. The press always have a good imagination lol

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
What a knock that was by Collingwood. Absolutely brilliant. Came in a very difficult situation but held his own. Was well supported by Bell and McGrath will be kicking himself for dropping that catch.

Some said it was impossible and hopeless but England have beaten the Aussies......again.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Well I've just read through the last 12 pages of this thread and it was a pretty fun read.
When I left for school this morning it was 15/3!!!
Seriously who knew that we could could actually string two victories in a row together against Australia?
I, too, would bet Brad's house on us losing the next two games however.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
All I can says is...........Eat Your Words Punter!

dont get to say that much so yh, had to seize the oppertunity :D

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I've just seen the highlights on BBCi and there were some shocking lbw decisions again. Hayden was plumb and not given; and Hodge, Loye and Strauss were all given out when they shouldn't have been.
Just as well England won really...

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
IloveGilly said:
Batting is at the point where there is too much relying on that top order. At least theres a sign of good consistent form from Hayden but Gilchrist's is looking down now.

Bit of a worry, we still haven't found a number 7 that can rescue us and finish it off. I've been hearing Clarke may miss the next ODI so that will give Watson a life and should mean hes batting in a spot more comfortable. Should mean White will come back in at 7.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
barmyarmy said:
I've just seen the highlights on BBCi and there were some shocking lbw decisions again. Hayden was plumb and not given; and Hodge, Loye and Strauss were all given out when they shouldn't have been.
Just as well England won really...

To be honest I felt they weren't as bad as were made out, well some of them anyway. Nixon was plumb and should have gone, but regarding Hodge, I felt he was falling over when playing the shot, and a split second after it hit him he was in front of middle. Strauss got a very thin inside edge, and to me it did look out at first glance. Loye I did feel got a tough one, even first up I thought it was going down leg. Not the best day for the umpires, but I'm normally pretty good at calling them first up, and I did actually agree with them on a few of those wrong decisions.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Collingwood was totally in the zone - looked immovable. A bit like Hussey once he gets going, you just get the feeling that he'll be there til the end and he'll do the job.

I'd say Watson will get some stick for his batting/bowling today, but honestly it is tough gig coming back into the side straight away for a big match - especially when you are so reliant on self-confidence as Watson is and under so much pressure from the press. Plus they insist on batting him at #7 and he really isn't an innovator who can launch straight away.

But full credit to England and not much credit to us - McGrath fumbled nearly everything that came his way in the field (and nearly missed the stumps at very close range on the runout of Dalrymple). Ponting seemed to let the game drift dangerously too when Bell and Collingwood were building - suddenly both of them were 40 just by working McGrath and Watson pretty easily. He needed to mix it up a bit there, call Hoggy in a bit earlier or bring back Bracken/Lee (but he overbowled Lee at the start he only needs 4-5 max to start with as we need his striking ability in the middle of the innings too - same with Tait if/when he plays).

Last edited:

kodos

International Coach
puddleduck said:
To be honest I felt they weren't as bad as were made out, well some of them anyway. Nixon was plumb and should have gone, but regarding Hodge, I felt he was falling over when playing the shot, and a split second after it hit him he was in front of middle. Strauss got a very thin inside edge, and to me it did look out at first glance. Loye I did feel got a tough one, even first up I thought it was going down leg. Not the best day for the umpires, but I'm normally pretty good at calling them first up, and I did actually agree with them on a few of those wrong decisions.

Nixon's one to me wasn't out as the ball is angling into the batsman and missing leg stump and the ball wasn't straightening at all. Hodge's one was a poor decision, you can see his leg stump when the ball hit his pad and it was well outside off but realistically Hodge should of been out earlier in the over with the missed run out. Loye's decision was very poor as well, it clipped the outside part of his pad and it was easily missing leg, even if it did swing back slightly I still wouldn't of given it out. As for Strauss I heard a pretty chunky inside edge when it was live.

England shouldn't get too confident though after this win, Aus. last year lost the first final and then won the next 2. To me England needs to win the next game, if Aus wins on Sunday then I can also see them taking the trophy on Tuesday. Also didn't Vaughan say he was heading back home?? How come he was in the England dressing room last night :p

Users who are viewing this thread