Commonwealth Bank Series

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
kodos said:
Nixon's one to me wasn't out as the ball is angling into the batsman and missing leg stump and the ball wasn't straightening at all. Hodge's one was a poor decision, you can see his leg stump when the ball hit his pad and it was well outside off but realistically Hodge should of been out earlier in the over with the missed run out. Loye's decision was very poor as well, it clipped the outside part of his pad and it was easily missing leg, even if it did swing back slightly I still wouldn't of given it out. As for Strauss I heard a pretty chunky inside edge when it was live.

England shouldn't get too confident though after this win, Aus. last year lost the first final and then won the next 2. To me England needs to win the next game, if Aus wins on Sunday then I can also see them taking the trophy on Tuesday. Also didn't Vaughan say he was heading back home?? How come he was in the England dressing room last night :p

Vaughn is coming back to Great Britain on saturday :) . We will bounce back on Sunday . :cheers

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I think his flight was cancelled Kodos, something to do with the weather back here no doubt. Yes Hodges decision was poor, but all the replays stop as it hits him, in full time he is in the process of falling over in front of his stumps, so I felt it wasn't as bad as they made it out to be. We didn't have a snicko for the English commentary box, and it actually took the Aussie box noticing it for them to pick up on Strauss's one!

Can't argue with your last paragraph, but us English fans may as well enjoy our first 3 Odi wins on the trot since 2005 when we beat Bangladesh, then Australia, and then Bangladesh again. A little more impressive when it's Aus, NZ, Aus.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
sifter132 said:
I'd say Watson will get some stick for his batting/bowling today, but honestly it is tough gig coming back into the side straight away for a big match - especially when you are so reliant on self-confidence as Watson is and under so much pressure from the press. Plus they insist on batting him at #7 and he really isn't an innovator who can launch straight away.

Poor selecting all round from our selectors really. He shouldn't have been picked for this final series in the first place as he hasn't played a ODI in ages. The C/H trophy would have been enough time to give him game time but not the Finals of the CBS.

kodos

International Coach
puddleduck said:
I think his flight was cancelled Kodos, something to do with the weather back here no doubt. Yes Hodges decision was poor, but all the replays stop as it hits him, in full time he is in the process of falling over in front of his stumps, so I felt it wasn't as bad as they made it out to be. We didn't have a snicko for the English commentary box, and it actually took the Aussie box noticing it for them to pick up on Strauss's one!

Can't argue with your last paragraph, but us English fans may as well enjoy our first 3 Odi wins on the trot since 2005 when we beat Bangladesh, then Australia, and then Bangladesh again. A little more impressive when it's Aus, NZ, Aus.

I agree, hopefully they can transfer these sort of performances into the WC when the squad will be at full strength with Pietersen and Anderson back.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Vaughan didn't have a flight cancelled, there just wasn't one apparently. It's strange though, as he may as well hand around for another week to fly back with everyone as I don't see it making that big a difference.

Australia have too many technical batsmen, hence why Watson was at Number 7. If Hodge didn't get 99* then I think Watson would have replaced him, which probably would have suited the order a bit better.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Who would you take to the WC then? Our squad is being picked after this series so they aren't going to pick a random bloke that hasn't played in this series.

genghis_khan

International Cricketer
moza1 said:
Hodge needs to be dropped. Im sorry but one good innings out of four is not good enough, if he goes to the world cup ill be very angry.

That's a good point. Hodge had a good knock against the kiwis the other night but to me he still doesn't look up to it, and if we go into the big games at the WC with him at 5 then we're in some trouble.

Damo01

Club Cricketer
Well.... some bad news for the 2nd Final because I have to say that beware of the pitch conditions for 2nd Final in Sydney tomorrow. Also there is a chance that Sydney might get a thunderstorm or some rainfalls over the night so hopefully the SCG ground staff have the covers on throughout the night.

In fact the forecast for tomorrow isn't looking that good either. It looks like it is going be one those weather interference.

Mars Maximus

International Coach
And here in Melbourne we dont have any rain :(

Anyway, I think Everton is right after all. Test matchs are what's important, not these circus style one day cricket matchs. And in the tests of late, we were great! :D

Nothing wrong with using some reverse psychology on myself huh? lol

Damo01

Club Cricketer
It hasn't rain yet in Sydney but it is possibility that it could happen. There already storms warnings for the western parts in NSW today but the warning zones is getting bigger throughout the afternoon today.

Last edited:

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
genghis_khan said:
That's a good point. Hodge had a good knock against the kiwis the other night but to me he still doesn't look up to it, and if we go into the big games at the WC with him at 5 then we're in some trouble.
He barely gets a chance to impress and even in those few chances he does score the odd fifty or hundred. And he wasnt even out yesterday.

Personally I think yesterday England bowled well at the death and dint allow Watson and co to score freely. I dont think White would have guaranteed more runs. He probably would have hit the odd boundary and got dismissed the very next ball. On the otherside he would conceded more runs in bowling and England would probably have got to their target a lot quicker than they did.

John Adams said:
And here in Melbourne we dont have any rain :(

Anyway, I think Everton is right after all. Test matchs are what's important, not these circus style one day cricket matchs. And in the tests of late, we were great! :D

Nothing wrong with using some reverse psychology on myself huh? lol
I have been saying that all the time. I always see the 5day series as the real deal and one dayers like a bonus or complimentary package. The World Cup gets extra importance because it comes once in four years but really it means nothing as the team that wins it is one that plays well for the one month. Just happened that last time around (2003) the best team in the world did win it.

We know irrespective of who wins in the World Cup, the Aussies will still be numero uno. The same however doesnt apply for test matches where fluked wins are very very rare.

Mars Maximus

International Coach
Oh so it was you vaughan, not Everton, who has been always saying that the one dayers have been unimportant compared to the the test match series? Or was it both you who said it? lol I'm confused.

And yes I agree test matchs are the real deal, where a team is trully tested, or should be, and you don't hear that irritating music between overs, or when a boundries been hit, and a new red ball will always look more better than a new white ball. :)

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Damo01 said:
It hasn't rain yet in Sydney but it is possibility that it could happen. There already storms warnings for the western parts in NSW today but the warning zones is getting bigger throughout the afternoon today.

That would really suck this series has really been kicked alive by that upset win and I want a win as our last game not a loss.

Users who are viewing this thread