DBC17 press

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The classic problem here is that once you start making it accessible, you start to annoy the hardcore players. I genuinely think you can't do both.

Ashes 09 at one point had a "Like Cricket" or a "Love Cricket" option. One just had more accessible controls and more auto-selection by the game: What we found was that no-one wanted to use it, because to do so was basically admitting you needed the help.

Well now that Ross has said...
DBC14 certainly wasn't easy to pick up and play, I am hoping DBC17 will take us a long way towards making it easier for new players as that is one of the development pillars of this iteration of the game.

I am hoping that we can successfully serve both audiences without separate modes of play, instead separating via difficulty (the amount of "help" offered).

...while 3 years ago he said BA was going to revolutionize cricket gaming and BA delivered, I'm sure my bet is on BA pulling the seemingly impossible balance that you say can't be done.

On the other hand, if you are saying people knowing that they are getting help is the problem then let's not tell them. Instead of calling the difficulty levels amateur or rookie, probably it could say Newcomer or follow the titles PC uses here. Club Cricketer, Associate Captain or maybe something that is just exciting.

gunit123

County Cricketer
Cricket's two main problems in that area, as I see it, are the unanswerable 'Who's winning?' question and that unlike most sports - playing well can't force a turnover - at least not with any real immediacy.

For a video game the first one means it's hard for a player to know if they are doing well - most other sports have a very obvious way of measuring that, you and your opponent both score simultaneously - you can easily see where you stand. Cricket on the other hand - until very near the end of the match, you often can't tell if you've done well enough to win or lose, and that you have two very different skills - batting and bowling - that determine whether you win or lose. That's true to some extent in other sports - where you've got attack and defence as different skills, but you can react to poor defending on the fly - whereas you can't go back and score more runs if your bowling is bad.

The second is the instant satisfaction factor. There's a very direct relationship in most sports between doing something well, and getting a score. Forcing a turnover with a tackle or an intercepted pass - putting you on the attack instantly - is a very good feeling for a video game. For cricket, you essentially need constant success - there's 10 wickets to get if you want to start batting, and while hitting a six might be nice, you can just as easily miss the next one and get out - or the game's so easy, that hitting sixes becomes routine and therefore not a special thing worthy of feeling happy about.

There's some things I think video games can do to adjust for how cricket is - but a lot of it comes down to the nature of the sport.

That and the ECB need to get cricket on FTA.

A game like Rocket League can show that satisfying both these 'factors' mentioned can lead to huge success. Psyonix have done a wonderful job with RL (not only in terms of gameplay, but marketing and providing continuous updates to improve the game). Seems like they have taken a leaf from Big Ant's book there :)

To add to what has already been said, cricket by nature is not the most accessible sport (in England). Without going into details, it is expensive in comparison to other sports. From a 'grass-root' level, unless you go to a grammar/private school, football will be the sport that most will give attention to.

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
ICC has tried to popularise cricket if it's by releasing a video game both for the 2011 and 2015 WC by producing rushed and cheaper quality games such as ICC Cricket Power 2011 and ICC Pro Cricket 2015. Even though Cricket Power was bad and just a patch to Mindstorm Studios previous game I felt it was a step forward, only because it was a AAA game if I'm not wrong. In 2015 giving the job of producing a game to a studio that only develops mobile and flash based games clearly shows their intention and dedication towards producing a video game based on cricket.

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
Can I change my username to villainvillain ?

Oh well never mind.

gunit123

County Cricketer
Don Bradman Cricket’s Stadium Creator Mode An Instant Hit

“The fan response to this feature has been incredible; we’ve seen people do everything from recreate their local pitch that they play games on with their home club, right through to completely accurate recreations of some of the most famous stadiums that the international teams play in,” Big Ant CEO, Ross Symons, said.

“The stadium creator was a major investment for us in terms of tech, and you can look forward to seeing it in other sports titles from us into the future.”

The stadium creator is a unique feature to Don Bradman Cricket 17, allowing players have complete control over the look and feel of their stadiums. From the size of the oval and stands, right through to the small details on the outside, such as coffee carts and turnstiles, players will be able to create any cricket field in the world using the toolset.

Then, once the full game has been released, players will be able to seamlessly drop the stadium into their game for play. An upload & share feature will allow players to jump online to access the creations that others upload.

“The stadium is a critical part of the cricket experience,” Symons said. “The atmosphere in playing on a local field surrounded by people sitting on the grass is very different to that of playing in an arena like at Lord’s.

“Don Bradman Cricket 17 aims to be the most authentic cricket game ever created, and that meant that we wanted to make sure that people were able to recreate the aesthetics and atmosphere of the game, and what it means to them,” Symons added.

In other news, the Cricket Academy has recently been updated to feature playable practice modes for both batting and bowling, allowing players to get a full sense of what to expect from the main game in its release later on this year.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
^ Yeh, that was some lazy work there with the pics.

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 8.11.08 AM.png

Not sure where else to stick this... Anybody else catch this yet?

Users who are viewing this thread