Dean Johnes Method (reskilling players)

lexluger

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Stats don't mean much in this game from what I've seen so far. I created McGrath with all his batting skills set to nil and yet was able to hit boundaries to every corner of the ground quite comfortably (playing on hard difficulty with sliders adjusted to make batting more challenging). Would have been nice had they taken cues from BLIC05 wherein lower order batsmen batted like typical tailenders.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Under the username: djmethod

Reskilled and shared: India and Pakistan

Also shared as Australia and England. Because you can't share the actual sides, I've shared them as Australia DJM and England DJM. The players in the squads are below if you wanted to update yours to match or download players individually.

AUS - Agar, Bird, Burns, Carey, Cummins, Finch, Handscomb, Hazlewood, Head, Khawaja, Lynn, Lyon, Maddinson, M Marsh, S Marsh, Maxwell, Neser, Paine, Renshaw, J Richardson, K Richardson, Sayers, Short, Stanlake, Starc, Stoinis, Swepson, Tye, White, Wildermuth, Zampa, Labushchagne, Siddle, Holland

ENG - Mooen, Anderson, Bairstow, Ball, Bess, Billings, Broad, Buttler, Crane, S Curran, T Curran, Dawson, Hales, Jennings, Jordon, Leach, Malan, Morgan, C Overton, Plunkett, Pope, Rashid, Root, Roy, Stokes, Stoneman, Vince, Willey, Woakes, Wood, Denly, Burns, Stone

Big thanks to @Sinister One for his work in helping to rate the players.

More teams to follow. Any feedback is welcome.

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Under the username: djmethod

Reskilled and shared: India and Pakistan

Also shared as Australia and England. Because you can't share the actual sides, I've shared them as Australia DJM and England DJM. The players in the squads are below if you wanted to update yours to match or download players individually.

AUS - Agar, Bird, Burns, Carey, Cummins, Finch, Handscomb, Hazlewood, Head, Khawaja, Lynn, Lyon, Maddinson, M Marsh, S Marsh, Maxwell, Neser, Paine, Renshaw, J Richardson, K Richardson, Sayers, Short, Stanlake, Starc, Stoinis, Swepson, Tye, White, Wildermuth, Zampa, Labushchagne, Siddle, Holland

ENG - Mooen, Anderson, Bairstow, Ball, Bess, Billings, Broad, Buttler, Crane, S Curran, T Curran, Dawson, Hales, Jennings, Jordon, Leach, Malan, Morgan, C Overton, Plunkett, Pope, Rashid, Root, Roy, Stokes, Stoneman, Vince, Willey, Woakes, Wood, Denly, Burns, Stone

Big thanks to @Sinister One for his work in helping to rate the players.

More teams to follow. Any feedback is welcome.
Will download them for sure.

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
@wateryouryouth

Am intrigued with the rating system you use and am thinking as I'm on my own project of All Decade Squads for all test playing nations. I'm about to do England 1970's so will pause until further notice :) Am willing to help. I had already begun to standardize ratings in England 1960s and am curious mathematically how this is done.

I've always gone as a benchmark batting average x 1.8 to get an idea of the baseline to work with and also for bowling. bowling average subtracted from 110. (I'd read that on the forums some time ago).

On the other hand I am taking the approach of the inventor of Stratomatic Baseball who individually rated players. The sliding scale we have here is 0-99 for each category but I guess the ratings are mostly subjective when it comes to fielding or rating technique but I like the Star to No 11 system you are using and I use a rating for fielding (The general position the player fields in) and standardize fielding at 79 unless really good or awful.

The sliding scale I am now using for batting and bowling is similar relative to Test Cricket. E.g Someone like Brian Lara would for batting have his technique ratings 90 or above, Shot types would highlight his favorite shots.

9 - Excellent
8 - Very good
7 - Good
6 - Above Average
5 - Average
4 - Below Average
3 - Poor
2 - Very Poor
1 - Crap

Intrigued :)

Last edited:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
@wateryouryouth

Am intrigued with the rating system you use and am thinking as I'm on my own project of All Decade Squads for all test playing nations. I'm about to do England 1970's so will pause until further notice :) Am willing to help. I had already begun to standardize ratings in England 1960s and am curious mathematically how this is done.

I've always gone as a benchmark batting average x 1.8 to get an idea of the baseline to work with and also for bowling. bowling average subtracted from 110. (I'd read that on the forums some time ago).

On the other hand I am taking the approach of the inventor of Stratomatic Baseball who individually rated players. The sliding scale we have here is 0-99 for each category but I guess the ratings are mostly subjective when it comes to fielding or rating technique but I like the Star to No 11 system you are using and I use a rating for fielding (The general position the player fields in) and standardize fielding at 79 unless really good or awful.

The sliding scale I am now using for batting and bowling is similar relative to Test Cricket. E.g Someone like Brian Lara would for batting have his technique ratings 90 or above, Shot types would highlight his favorite shots.

9 - Excellent
8 - Very good
7 - Good
6 - Above Average
5 - Average
4 - Below Average
3 - Poor
2 - Very Poor
1 - Crap

Intrigued :)
I'd changed the ratings a little based on feedback from @Sinister One - it was not feasible to rate a lot of associates for First Class and/or List A so I added a second option to give an overall rating. I've since gone back to the Star to No 11 for that (just to save time editing the spreadsheet).

The ratings themselves are an average of real life stats and opinion. Stats convert to a rating like we'd give. And each rating gets a points equivalent. An average of the points is done and they are allocated a number of skill points (I look at a total number of individual skill points rather than an overall rating). So it's a combo of objective and subjective because stats don't always reflect things like opposition - some players might have great averages but have only accrued them against weak sides.

I use the same ratings for Agility, Speed and Stamina. I'm not sure Judgement does much but I use that as a batting stat it's calculated based on skill level and strength set by the mentality (that's done on strike rates). Bowling accuracy is set in a similar way to judgement.

I only managed to play a little with the teams I shared but batting wise at least it seems decent. Bowling, I'm going to make some adjustments and not have all set to Balanced - will use a mentality for specific bowling type. My PC crashed and has been out of action (should get that sorted tomorrow).

I'm going to pester @Sinister One to see if he can rate a few more teams - I can send you the latest version of the full sheet (test playing nations and associates) if you'd like to rate those.

After that I was going to do some domestic sides (probably Indian first), I'd like to do my 1990s World Cup teams with some outside ratings again but I'm also happy to rate the teams you're doing (can't speak for @Sinister One on that).

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
@wasteyouryouth I think the ratings are still not accurate. If we compare them to real life then there are many problems. How can stokes and Bairstow be rated higher than Root? And more in different teams. It's just not working right.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
@wasteyouryouth I think the ratings are still not accurate. If we compare them to real life then there are many problems. How can stokes and Bairstow be rated higher than Root? And more in different teams. It's just not working right.
Which ratings are you looking at? If it's the ratings next to the names on the team rosters I've not paid attention to them, mainly because English and Australian players (at least the licensed ones) have ratings that appear differently than other nations. Example: if you give 100 skill points in each batting category to Root he will have a higher or lower rating (can't remember which) than if you do the same for Kohli.

So I skill them based on individual skill points for each attribute. Unless I've made a mistake when assigning the skills Root will have the most batting skill points in the England squad. Stokes will probably have a higher overall rating (in the team roster view) because he's an all rounder. Bairstow, probably higher than Root because he's a keeper, so his fielding stats may bump up the overall rating.

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Which ratings are you looking at? If it's the ratings next to the names on the team rosters I've not paid attention to them, mainly because English and Australian players (at least the licensed ones) have ratings that appear differently than other nations. Example: if you give 100 skill points in each batting category to Root he will have a higher or lower rating (can't remember which) than if you do the same for Kohli.

So I skill them based on individual skill points for each attribute. Unless I've made a mistake when assigning the skills Root will have the most batting skill points in the England squad. Stokes will probably have a higher overall rating (in the team roster view) because he's an all rounder. Bairstow, probably higher than Root because he's a keeper, so his fielding stats may bump up the overall rating.
OK. I will try and simulate some matches from all 4 teams. I have changed the default lineups with my own. I feel even if Smith and Warner are banned, they should be included. Also can we have more players in the squads?

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I pretty much moved away from Ashes around when this thread was going on by the looks of things.

@wasteyouryouth, Can I ask what the outcome was here? Were the teams you reskilled any good? Realistic? Or did it not really working in the end?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I pretty much moved away from Ashes around when this thread was going on by the looks of things.

@wasteyouryouth, Can I ask what the outcome was here? Were the teams you reskilled any good? Realistic? Or did it not really working in the end?
I've been doing some experiementing since the patch came out, I was on the verge of giving up on the game for a variety of reasons. It's been pretty good using these teams though. There's a few irksome things but I'm not sure if they can be fixed by adjusting skills but on the whole I've been having some good matches using the teams I've reskilled. For that reason I will be sharing the international teams either today or tomorrow. And people can give them a go if they like.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Excellent news. As you saw, I'm ready to put a pin in my career mode game so these teams should help me try something new for a while.

I'll look forward to them dropping! Are they on PS4?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Excellent news. As you saw, I'm ready to put a pin in my career mode game so these teams should help me try something new for a while.

I'll look forward to them dropping! Are they on PS4?
Yeah they will be. I might also have a few bonus treats for console users.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I've updated the first post of this thread with which teams have been shared using the Dean Johnes Method (under the user ID DJMethod). When I share more I will continue to update.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Well, I've played 1 innings of 1 Test with the new teams and I am HOOKED! That's the most fun I've probably ever had on Ashes Cricket. Wow. Couldn't start playing until nearly 11pm last night but was more than happy to play til 3am, awesome.

I've created a (very) rough highlights clip of the innings. I missed Stokes slashing to Patterson at point and Broad's LBW (it was plum), but there's some shots, misses, wickets in there for people to watch. I have custom physics sliders to suit English conditions. I'm Australia, AI are England, on Veteran, Hard batting, Hard bowling, Hard fielding with custom sliders. Pitch is grassy, soft, pristine, no cracks.

Here's the scorecards. Sorry it's a screen grab!

FE1-E1943-FF2-D-47-EA-8-AFC-64-D9-C82-EF3-A5.jpg

2-CE71-D08-B03-C-48-FC-9876-EAFD91107837.jpg

Comments
  • The Burns wicket was a surprise. Both openers looked pretty reasonable in the early going. Watchful. Then Rory played down the wrong line and lost his middle peg. Did make me think "Have I got the difficulty wrong here" but the rest of the innings, and the next stand, proved that very much wasn't the case!
  • Bairstow was night and day different to Jennings. He came out from the get go and was very aggressive. He was scoring not far off a run a ball at times and I had to make changes to my default strategy and manage him a little better. Great to see.
  • Speaking of Jennings, he batted the entire first session and was an absolute walking wicket. That's good as at 59OVR he's easily England poorest rated player. I felt I could get him every ball. His 32 from 94 balls was probably the ugliest 32 runs you'll see, but he did at least dig in and refused to get himself out. He put on 99 with Bairstow simply by virtue of sitting on his bat at the non-strikers end 90% of the time! Lots of examples of him playing and missing in the video, plus a really nice late inside edge onto pad that I appealed for (hoping it was pad first!)
  • Nathan Lyon got some tonk. Bairstow in particular hit him to all parts. After his first spell of 4 overs, he was going for over 6.5 an over. Video has a nice little section to Jennings. One where he drives well to the man at deep cover, then the next ball he's beaten (as usual), and then he sweeps through mid-wicket. Gary was better in his 2nd spell after lunch, but didn't need to do much heavy lifting with Hazelwood and Cummins on song.
  • Pat Cummins was excellent. He was lively before lunch, smashed Johnny in his little Johnny, and then did some proper damage after the break. England went into lunch set at 107-1. 107 runs in the sessions, 3.3RR, I was happy with that to.
  • Cummins and Hazelwood after lunch turned the innings around. Jennings finally slashed one to gully. Bairstow missed a straight one on leg stump (bit of a strange animation) and that opened things back up with new men in.
  • Stokes was as aggressive as Bairstow and also caused me problems. He had some great misses, but also some great shots. Was a really satisfying battle with him as Root dug in at the other end scoring a lot more slowly.
  • The ball to Root at 157-3 (4:36 in), I'm still not sure how that didn't get him. It was unplayable.
  • Root finally edged to gully and then it started raining wickets. The Buttler dismissal had me laughing pretty hard. I messed up the fielding mini-game with the keeper, who dropped the ball, only for 1st slip to catch it before it hit the deck! Ali and Curran both fell into the same trap of full balls to drive and then one into the ribs and making a mess of the hook. That was really satisfying as that was the plan for both of them. Especially Ali, he was trying to work everything to his pads and was bound to find short leg before long.
  • 221 in 73 overs, 3 an over. Very different styles of innings, with Bairstow 86 (102) and Stokes 45 (67) looking very different to Jennings 32 (94) and Root 20 (68).
  • Stamina was spot on. Most I got out of a quick was 7 overs, which I'd say is about right in English conditions.
I'm looking forward to having a bat. I have a feeling Anderson and Broad are going to work me over. My settings mean the pitch is only going to get more difficult to bat on as the game goes on so simply reaching their total might be an achievement. This could well be an all done in 3 days Test, but we will see!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
It's interesting looking at the strike rates. They seem decent for Aggressive players and probably Precise too. Root is balanced and seems low. Balanced seems to be a bit of an enigma, I've got it as my middle ground batting mentalities but I need to pay closer to attention to how it reflects in game.

Thanks for the video, will watch during lunch. Glad you're enjoying them so far.

@Rumple43

Users who are viewing this thread