Don Bradman 17 review - Buyers beware!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
These are fundamental showstoppers and not an ad-hoc crash or one bug.

Citation needed. There are bugs for sure, but hardly any of them can be called showstoppers.

I would love to support Bigant and... I would still support Bigant by swapping this game for DBC 14 (as I dont have a copy and only played it on PS Now) if they cannot fix this.

BA have a proven track record that they support their products really well. In the last iteration, they went an extra mile and added *new* features in patches along with the bug fixes. Not sure what you are trying to say by "if they cannot fix this" - do you mean they are technical inept or unwilling? And what is your basis for making such a comment?

If you are a true BA supporter, have patience and faith that BA will certainly patch the most glaring issues given some time. If you can't, well tough luck!

bestfriendh

Club Captain
Citation needed. There are bugs for sure, but hardly any of them can be called showstoppers.

BA have a proven track record that they support their products really well. In the last iteration, they went an extra mile and added *new* features in patches along with the bug fixes. Not sure what you are trying to say by "if they cannot fix this" - do you mean they are technical inept or unwilling? And what is your basis for making such a comment?

If you are a true BA supporter, have patience and faith that BA will certainly patch the most glaring issues given some time. If you can't, well tough luck!

True that, the game is a solid step up from DBC14 in the graphics, gameplay and the level of details. BigAnt has listened to us and its apparent in features like the sliders, allowing me to NOT pre-meditate my shots. Yah!

Yes there are a few bugs, but nothing earth shattering IMO.

The few minor things I do hope BigAnt fix with a patch are:
1) Cover Drive
2) Calling all club teams "Abbotabad"
3) The 6 ball trails, at the end of the over animation seems to abruptly end, and doesn't seem to complete. Not sure if by design, but just wanted to point it out.

Once again, thanks a ton BA, I am going to be fully occupied till the next iterations, and Tennis!

PS: Thank you for putting my last name in the game. Its a lovely feeling when the commentator says it when I come out to bat.

sahil1087

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Hello there, I think I am experiencing most of the issues that Royce has described as well. I have downloaded the game from US psn store. My game has crashed 3 times in first hour of play. Please take a look and fix this issue ASAP as this is very frustrating for a user who's been waiting for a long time to play.

Platform: PS4
Game Mode: Any
Match Type: ODI/T20/Five
Get Best Teams used: NA
Ground: Melbourne
Over Count: 3
Issue (one line description): Issue with Academy sync/Game Freeze/Gameplay error
Bug description (detail): I got the game from US psn store and below are the issues I have faced in 1 hour of gameplay
A) Academy unable to sync best teams. I got academy error so I had to do it one by one.
B) Game crashed 3 times in a row while playing different game modes. Max I could play was for about 30 mins without crash. I would simply have to restart my PS4 pro. Third time I just got frustrated and went to sleep.
C) I was given out by the umpire even when the fielder clearly caught me behind the boundary line. That was never an issue with db14.

saferider4969

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Just had 5-6 games with my friends over. Faced quite a few bugs and some of them were very frustrating but nothing game breaking. We had a lot of fun while playing even with these bugs.

I will post a list of bugs we faced with videos of them happening in the morning. Hopefully I can provide enough information.

All in all kudos to Big Ant, I am sure these bugs will be ironed out in no time.

kulch

Club Captain
The constant diving the lack of 360deg shots and the below par camera transitions are letting this game down immensely. It's as broken as DBC14 was on release in a different way. It's fixed things and unfixed things at the same time. The academy being down just adds to the frustration. We can't begin our careers. Are we QnA testing this or what? I'm also running a digital version 1.01 where a patch wasn't done separately. I've had 1 download on this app on December 15.

jan52

Associate Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
First of all Thank you Big Ant for the game, I bought PS4 version and will gladly buy pc version on release. We need to show support, because i remember many years we didnt had any cricket game at all.
This thread title is dramatic. Game is the best And big improvement over DBC14.

I bought the game from US PSN and also had 3-4 time game freeze and crash in 3 hours of game play, IMO nothing major that a patch cannot fix.

varunschuey

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

You asked for a citation and I give you several...forget about the post release patching track record....how did the below showstoppers pass QA....

Cover Drive
How could anyone at Bigant not notice that one cannot play a Cover Drive (which was apparent to me within 10 minutes)? Even if this was missed by the developers.......haven't they done QA for even one day, If the people doing QA had any clue...they would definitely not pass a game where 50% of the offside field is inaccessible. Furthermore, the fact that attempting a cover drive triggers an animation where the batsman exposes his stump and attempts a nothing shot is game breaking and off putting.

Leg Glance

The leg glance ends up at mid wicket in front of square and rarely goes to backward square leg...let alone fine leg. There is no back foot leg glance animation either which is one of the bread and butter shots. Leg glance issues again render a large chunk of the onside inaccessible.

Stroke Variation
If you consider one side of the field (lets say offside)....it spans 180 degrees....but there are only 4 or 5 animations covering the entire spectrum....the much proclaimed analog batting controls should be capable of ensuring placement for every 10 degrees at least.....which means that there should be 18 possible variants of offside ground stroke play depending on my analog stick position but sadly it is only 4 or 5.

The same holds true on the leg side as well.....DBC 14 was slightly better in this regard (although not completely analog as proclaimed) and offered 7 or 8 variants. A sequel should have seen improvement in this core aspect, let alone suffer in this area as is evident now.

@BigAntStudios @mikeymerren Having Helicopter shots, Dilscoops, Stadium Creators etc are just bells and whistles....and in my opinion irrelevant if you cannot get the simplest, fundamental aspects right, especially those that already existed in the previous version.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I am getting crashes now, two in the last half hour. Blue screen where it says the game has encountered an error and do you want to report it. (PS4)
The first time was when I tried to load a save, the second was the ball after loading a save.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
True that, the game is a solid step up from DBC14 in the graphics, gameplay and the level of details. BigAnt has listened to us and its apparent in features like the sliders, allowing me to NOT pre-meditate my shots. Yah!

Yes there are a few bugs, but nothing earth shattering IMO.

The few minor things I do hope BigAnt fix with a patch are:
1) Cover Drive
2) Calling all club teams "Abbotabad"
3) The 6 ball trails, at the end of the over animation seems to abruptly end, and doesn't seem to complete. Not sure if by design, but just wanted to point it out.

Once again, thanks a ton BA, I am going to be fully occupied till the next iterations, and Tennis!

PS: Thank you for putting my last name in the game. Its a lovely feeling when the commentator says it when I come out to bat.

I would add "Glance/Flick to fine leg" to the list as well right after Cover Drive. Tried multiple times but unable to hit the ball behind backward square leg. The only time I succeeded was when i hit a sweep and it went a bit fine. But most of the leg side shots go in front of or around square leg area.

Bluebagger

International Coach
A day one 1.2gb patch? That's concerning. I'm glad PC games get shafted on release dates so I can observe performance issues and things get patched and fixed in time.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I would add "Glance/Flick to fine leg" to the list as well right after Cover Drive. Tried multiple times but unable to hit the ball behind backward square leg. The only time I succeeded was when i hit a sweep and it went a bit fine. But most of the leg side shots go in front of or around square leg area.

I've hit in this area a lot with the glance, particularly in career. Having trouble with the cover drives but behind square glances are fine

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
A day one 1.2gb patch? That's concerning. I'm glad PC games get shafted on release dates so I can observe performance issues and things get patched and fixed in time.
1.2GB is small for a day one patch. They're not anything to be concerned about as they're usually ways for devs to iron out a few things after the game goes gold. All games end up with them.

micgrech

Club Captain
Although its a harsh review...it is honest!

I downloaded the day 1 patch and I am having crashes galore.

And the batting is absolutely terrible!

I too patiently am waiting for a patch and not playing in the meantime as its really frustrating and takes out the enhoyment of the game!

Bluebagger

International Coach
1.2GB is small for a day one patch. They're not anything to be concerned about as they're usually ways for devs to iron out a few things after the game goes gold. All games end up with them.
You miss the point. It is hugely concerning when a game on its official release requires a huge patch, that says the game has been shipped with known issues. I'm not saying that's the case here with DBC17 but in most cases it is. But the younger generation do accept this because that's all they know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread