Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

isrararrafi

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
United States
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Try playing defensive shots with trigger pressed half way. Personally I do think there should have been some seperate animation for simple pushes and nudges. Something in between a drive and block as drives feel too powerful and blocking the ball just kills it in the spot.

Next iteration maybe :)

Quoting myself, @SnowyCasanova can you test this out please?

JackP127

School Cricketer
I am proud to announce that I have finally Pre-Ordered Don Bradman Cricket 14 from Amazon UK for a bargain of ?42.00. Due to arrive on the 11th of April 2014 I am very excited. I would like to thank Ross for being such a legend. :cheers

glenny134

Club Captain
If I taken anything from this thread, it's that I'm not going to bother downloading any teams from the academy until the first patch is released. The supposition that a lot of the superhuman fielding (and potentially other abnormal behaviour) is due to poor representation and balancing of CA stats seems to be plausible to me. That's not to mention the way it botches career mode.

Real players and likenesses will be a treat once the first patch is released - probably just in time for the build up to the summer tests. Nice.

The thing is, it is a treat. The CA is a great feature that has a small problem at the moment. But you can still do everything just fine in my opinion. Not even close to a deal breaker in my book

----------

How is the torching going then?

I can see the blaze from my place, funny thing was the kid at the counter just forgot to look in the right box...silly Biggles and his pyro-madness

chaman82

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
T20 Match Only Batting Reviews With On DISK TEAMS

Veteran Mode Best Score : 85 all out 16 overs

Pro Mode Best Score : 139 all out 14 overs
Ai Fielding Needs =BIG improvement
Ai Bowling Changes Needs =BIG improvement

srk121

International Coach
Right guys!

Just played the game for good few hours and i must say it is pretty amazing and it will be a great learning curve for each and everyone. When you play this game go with open mind and think about the changes that has taken place.

The game is different it is very different and it takes time to get use to. I was frustrated and yet enjoying the game. The bowling is the most enjoyable part without doubt. I never use to bowl in previous games.

The graphics are pretty decent too but stadiums at times does look bit shoddy specially at night, some more refinement and that would have been sorted too. Apart from that player models are pretty good. The animations are different and soothing to the eyes, specially when you see players diving around in the field it looks amazing and its very active unlike previous games.

The first 2 level are pretty as everyone are aware of that. However Pro mode is no muck and AI does play pretty well. I am playing a tour mode Eng-Ind 2014 and my first tour match is with Leicester-shire and i have got them to 96-4 in 22 overs.

The wickets that fell were due to creating pressure, when plans works out the satisfaction is on another level. In Leicester's innings there was a faint nick and i appealed and @Biggs denied and i challenged and won, Hawk eye showed a faint nick which was so nice to see.

The element which they have got it balanced is the AI pacing the innings. Although its early days but what i have seen has been great. I did have 2 great finishes on Pro level. The ball physics are very good as well.

All i have to say to the guys who have not played the game is go with fresh and open mind and enjoy the ride. It is early days but i will still say it is the best cricket game i have played and enjoyed. Kudos to the @BigAntStudios and Co very well done.

I have not explored the career mode till yet and will not touch until the patch is out. Thanks Ross and Co.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
As I couldn't download the teams from the academy properly yesterday, I did spend a bit of time playing with the on disc rosters - you do get the same level of extreme fielding ability and throws at the stumps - it could possibly be made worse by how users have rated players, but it happens regardless.

I'd be far less bothered about direct hits if the batsmen didn't decide to slow down two metres from the crease when finishing a single.

srk121

International Coach
OH I forgot another great moment. I was facing Dilshan and tried to leg glance him. Ended up being a leading edge to the offside that nearly got caught. It looked REALLY slick

i had that moment too, i turned the bat too early towards leg side and ball ended up near third man and was actually caught. I was pretty amazed with the physics. Never seen anything like this.

NoLeName

PlanetCricket Writing Team
I enjoy spin too! Have you bowled anyone yet?

No. A few LBWs, a couple caught behinds and a lot of mistimed slogs going straight into a one-handed diving effort by mid-on/mid-off :p

EDIT: Just bowled a bloke. Got a five-for in that second innings, but got out for a duck with the bat. I am halfway through the first innings of the next game and have currently got 3/23. Has anyone else found batting in career mode extremely hard? I originally was playing a batsman career mode but gave up because after something like 10 innings my highest score was 16!

Last edited:

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
Quoting myself, @SnowyCasanova can you test this out please?

Give me 12 hours until I'm back infront of the PS3 :p

----------

If I taken anything from this thread, it's that I'm not going to bother downloading any teams from the academy until the first patch is released. The supposition that a lot of the superhuman fielding (and potentially other abnormal behaviour) is due to poor representation and balancing of CA stats seems to be plausible to me. That's not to mention the way it botches career mode.

Real players and likenesses will be a treat once the first patch is released - probably just in time for the build up to the summer tests. Nice.

This is the wrong attitude to have in my opinion. Forgoing the CA players just because of Career Mode is silly, especially with the workarounds that have been provided if you wish to play career mode that badly.

----------

Ai Bowling Changes Needs =BIG improvement

If you're using the On-Disc teams, how can you be sure the bowling changes need improvement?

Last edited:

skiptotheend

School Cricketer
This is the wrong attitude to have in my opinion. Forgoing the CA players just because of Career Mode is silly, especially with the workarounds that have been provided if you wish to play career mode that badly.

You're clearly not reading my post properly or, worse, willingly misinterpreting it. I'm not forgoing the CA players because of Career Mode - I actually only mention Career Mode in passing at the end. My main concern is that all these players have been given statistics by people with no understanding of the actual level of impact they have in the game. Give it a couple of months and the teams will be ace, I'm sure.

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
You're clearly not reading my post properly or, worse, willingly misinterpreting it. I'm not forgoing the CA players because of Career Mode - I actually only mention Career Mode in passing at the end. My main concern is that all these players have been given statistics by people with no understanding of the actual level of impact they have in the game. Give it a couple of months and the teams will be ace, I'm sure.

Yeh except the 'issues' you've raised also occur with the on-disc players - which have statistics provided by Big Ant themselves.

Having applied attributes and ratings for all the players I created, I know what went in to them, and the distribution of fielding skills is not significantly different from what exists for on-disc counterparts. The fielding isn't a product of the user created players.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread