Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

nightprowler10

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
So after practicing for an hour, I finally played a casual T10 match using ATG lineups for India vs Pakistan in Pro mode. India win the toss and put me in to bat. Kumble got the new ball (weird), first ball wide outside off stump and Saeed Anwar defends and misses. Completely forgot to cancel run so got stumped! Ok then... Zaheer Abbas in. I try to defend a delivery aimed at the off stump but the batsman doesn't respond so I get bowled. Then I realized I was using IC10's controls. :facepalm

From then on I did a respectable job (for a first timer) for the most part but still got the controls confused here and there managed to lose wickets that way. Forgot to use any of the triggers a few times and lofted a shot straight to mid-on. Forgot this wasn't IC10 again towards the end of the inning and watched Wasim get bowled.

Lots of trial and error for me while bowling so gave up 20+ runs in first over. The match finished in just over four overs due to my low total.

I can't seem to figure out spin bowling at all. I mean I'll get the line and length down, but not sure how or when I'm picking the type of delivery.

Also, on fast bowling, can I hold the left stick in one direction for the entirely of the delivery to select, say, an in swinger?

20140412_113009_zpseceaac21.jpg

zombieian

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Received my copy this morning and have spent four hours playing it. I must say it is great fun to play and I've not really had many of the issues reported.
Regarding batting, I feel that if you press the button (red 'B' button on xbox) after every delivery when you don't want a run, and the right trigger to sprint and slide your bat in when running, the run out problem hardly ever occurs.
I enjoyed the bowling but I never noticed the ball either swinging, seaming or turning. It's probably a problem with my inputs rather than the game itself although I didn't notice any swing or seam from my computer controlled opposition either.

I started with the 'tutorial' practice game which works very well. I like the fact that it pauses the game and presents a legend showing you a choice of inputs.
This makes it very easy to learn the controls.
Overall: So far I'm very pleased with the game and I've only scratched the surface. Fantastic stuff lads at BigAnt.:thumbs:thumbs
My highlight was hitting a 113 metre boundary achieved by coming down the wicket to a quickie.

Last edited:

Orangzeb

Banned
* Do I need to flick OR hold the left analog stick till the delivery ?

same question about left analog stick

PS3 - Quickie

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

PS3 - Quickie

You don't need to hold left analog stick for a fast bowler once you decide the delivery type. For a spinner you will need to as you are providing the spin/rpm by rotating the left stick.

outbreak

Club Captain

PS3 - Quickie

Just press it early in the run up. You also don't have to hold the right stick just move down release then up again when releasing the ball in the direction you want to bowl.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
...which is all clearly explained in the tutorials and the manual.

boycs

School Cricketer
I enjoyed the bowling but I never noticed the ball either swinging, seaming or turning. It's probably a problem with my inputs rather than the game itself although I didn't notice any swing or seam from my computer controlled opposition either.

If you change the bowling camera to "broadcast" you'll notice the swing and seam more.

tandy45

Club Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
After playing through the career mode for the best part of 4 hours today, I have to say I am mightly impressed. It's the first cricket game I have played where I find myself having to think which shots I am going to play and how I am going to play them. As opposed to having to limiting how many shots I am going to play (IC 2010)

I'm also finding the bowling side to be impressive too, having issues finding the correct lines but rather than simulating each bowling innings, I'm actually finding myself struggling to put the game down.

Guybrush Threep

Club Captain
I'm playing as Aus in a T20 competition on Pro and am getting between 6 to 8 run outs a game. I'm up to the final and no team has made more than 50 against me.

I'm also not finding any greater number of edges on Pro compared to Veteran as a fast bowler.

Also didn't realise you don't have to hold the left stick during run up to select delivery type... This will make it a bit easier.

Howlingwolf

School Cricketer
Hi guys this is my first post just like to say how much I'm enjoying the game and am impressed with the batting and bowling mechanics. Yes there are a couple of bugs that I'm sure have been mentioned to do with run outs. But one thing I don't understand is for a game that does so much right why did they think it was good for the fielders to have lazer guided arms and also the wicketkeeper and bowler to take off the bails for no apparent reason constantly.

shazyb1234

Club Captain
Playing the game still Ross this has exceeded expectations its 10/10 :cheers
Started career mode really have to take my time to help my team, every aspect of the game is so fun and so much detail, ball going for a four need to tap it back save those runs :thumbs Appealing too much definitely means the umpire does not really take your word, replays :thumbs, have not played with rain yet i heard its beautiful :D Just going to start a t20 match between Pakistan Vs India i love how you can go through the overs quite quickly i cant wait to play odis :eek: theres so much do discover

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You mean the manual that is full of errors and the tutorial that doesn't really explain anything?

My understanding is that Xbox manual is fine.

The ps3 manual has a page incorrect which is posted here on PC. We printed the manual for ps3 last year as they have a longer lead time, that's where the issue arises.

Most games don't have "real" manuals so as to save costs and allow for last minute digital changes. I guess I am old school and like physical goods which is why the manual is the size it is.

It is my promise to try to resolve your issues as best we can.

As the manual is "full of errors", can you please point out any other errors in the manual and I will resolve those also.

Users who are viewing this thread