Don Bradman Cricket 14 Official Trailer

WhiteCat

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Don't you think the review is consistent with what has already been said? Here's quoting from the Verdict section of the review you quoted...

This is consistent with what everyone has stated all along, i.e. RLL2 is much better than RLL1 and TBH this review is what fills me with confidence regarding the DBC franchise. If we can have similar incremental improvements over the iterations, we can agree DBC14 is in safe pair of hands (pun intended) :p

Rugby league and cricket are my two biggest passions. I've grown tired of gaming to a large extent at this point of my life (from the end user perspective anyway..) but I still actively follow the development of rugby league and cricket games, ensuring I own a console or PC capable of playing the releases of these titles and regularly reading updates of their progress.

To me, gaming is rugby league and cricket. Obviously this means Big Ant is now a massively important company to me (so much so that I've actually pondered perhaps trying to get a job there at various points, but that's an aside), and it does unfortunately mean that I am one pretty frustrated gamer at the moment!

Rugby League Live 2 is not a great game, nor was Rugby League Live (1). In fact, compared to the standards set by major sport titles, "poor" probably is an accurate description. However, they were both playable and gave me hours of enjoyment as a rugby league fan. Both rugby league games Big Ant released were the best rugby league games of all-time when they were released; both in absolute terms and in terms relative to the standards and technology at the time (with the possible exception of ARL 96, the Shane Warne 99 of rugby league games), putting the efforts of Sidhe, a pretty comparable game developer, to shame. Their first attempt was more impressive than Sidhe's third, and their second attempt was, as stated, vastly better than their first again. I'm impressed by not only that but their commitment to these games with regular DLC, cheap World Cup editions, etc etc. I genuinely hope there is an ongoing commitment to rugby league gaming from Big Ant and HES (and indeed an ongoing commitment to Big Ant from HES) because these games, while not great or even particularly good in a broader sense, are getting some way there in terms of long-term playability for the diehard rugby league fan.

I have similar expectations for Don Bradman Cricket 14. I do not expect a great game. I do not expect a game that suddenly breathes life into the cricket game genre, but a game that is better than its predecessors and addresses many of the long-held grievances the base has had with these games. I posted some minor criticisms here after watching the "World Premiere" videos and I absolutely stand by that but I'm certainly looking forward to the game. If it's more possible to have a close, tense match of something that feels and looks like cricket than IC10, which looks likely at this point, then I'll play it for hours and be a happy customer.

Last edited:

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Great to see it took less than a day for PlanetCricket's "thefonz" to jump the shark...

Just stick with 'single foolish game will not success' like the pros. They stick around longer.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Rugby league and cricket are my two biggest passions. I've grown tired of gaming to a large extent at this point of my life (from the end user perspective anyway..) but I still actively follow the development of rugby league and cricket games, ensuring I own a console or PC capable of playing the releases of these titles and regularly reading updates of their progress.

To me, gaming is rugby league and cricket. Obviously this means Big Ant is now a massively important company to me (so much so that I've actually pondered perhaps trying to get a job there at various points, but that's an aside), and it does unfortunately mean that I am one pretty frustrated gamer at the moment!

Rugby League Live 2 is not a great game, nor was Rugby League Live (1). In fact, compared to the standards set by major sport titles, "poor" probably is an accurate description. However, they were both playable and gave me hours of enjoyment as a rugby league fan. Both rugby league games Big Ant released were the best rugby league games of all-time when they were released; both in absolute terms and in terms relative to the standards and technology at the time (with the possible exception of ARL 96, the Shane Warne 99 of rugby league games), putting the efforts of Sidhe, a pretty comparable game developer, to shame. Their first attempt was more impressive than Sidhe's third, and their second attempt was, as stated, vastly better than their first again. I'm impressed by not only that but their commitment to these games with regular DLC, cheap World Cup editions, etc etc. I genuinely hope there is an ongoing commitment to rugby league gaming from Big Ant and HES (and indeed an ongoing commitment to Big Ant from HES) because these games, while not great or even particularly good in a broader sense, are getting some way there in terms of long-term playability for the diehard rugby league fan.

I have similar expectations for Don Bradman Cricket 14. I do not expect a great game. I do not expect a game that suddenly breathes life into the cricket game genre, but a game that is better than its predecessors and addresses many of the long-held grievances the base has had with these games. I posted some minor criticisms here after watching the "World Premiere" videos and I absolutely stand by that but I'm certainly looking forward to the game. If it's more possible to have a close, tense match of something that feels and looks like cricket than IC10, which looks likely at this point, then I'll play it for hours and be a happy customer.

I totally get and appreciate your point of view, IMO it is most reasonable and balanced.

Relative to the big budget titles none of our game are as good as I would like them to be, relative to the time and budget that I have at my disposal however I am more than happy with the results. That said, it is our goal to get them better over time and by sticking to sports titles that can leverage the same technology we might be able to approach the quality of the big guys.

I have to say I was waiting for a while to quote these back at you, posted way prior to Ashes 2013 release, you were right, it was hilarious and awesome, you just got the words the wrong way around, as Angy pointed out - he was on the money for sure! :)

It will be so hilarious if this game actually turns out to be completely awesome.

Yes....you will be in awe of how hilarious this game is :p

WhiteCat

Club Cricketer
I totally get and appreciate your point of view, IMO it is most reasonable and balanced.

Relative to the big budget titles none of our game are as good as I would like them to be, relative to the time and budget that I have at my disposal however I am more than happy with the results. That said, it is our goal to get them better over time and by sticking to sports titles that can leverage the same technology we might be able to approach the quality of the big guys.

Yeah, I think this is a nice balance of ambition and realism. Both your rugby league efforts certainly compare very favourably to Sidhe and while they're not quite games any sports fan could pick up and enjoy like I have with some of the titles for sports I don't really follow, the second one in particular is a good experience for someone specifically looking for a rugby league game (ie. it satisfies the niche market you were going for). I still play it to this day and I'm considering picking up the World Cup edition, to support the effort as much as to pay for the extra tournament really. The big improvement between your first and your second attempts at that is very encouraging, again particularly when compared to Sidhe, so I really hope that arrangement continues for many years.

Certainly it's by no means perfect, and I would fully expect someone who isn't a diehard rugby league fan and is reviewing it out of context to rate it poorly, but it's been a massive step in the right direction since Big Ant took over the reigns. I've been expecting something similar with the cricket title; if it's a similar standard to RLL2 and addresses some of the long-standing gameplay issues consumers have had with cricket games then that makes it significantly better than IC10 (which, sad case as I am, I still play every so often as well!) and well worth the buy. Perhaps not quite well worth all the expectation I've seen in some posts on this forum, but while I may seem like the negative one now, it'll probably be the opposite once it's released.

I have to say I was waiting for a while to quote these back at you, posted way prior to Ashes 2013 release, you were right, it was hilarious and awesome, you just got the words the wrong way around, as Angy pointed out - he was on the money for sure! :)

:lol Indeed. I'm surprised you remembered that post.

Last edited:

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
:lol Indeed. I'm surprised you remembered that post.

I read'em all*, if you had written "It will be so awesome if this game actually turns out to be completely hilarious." you would have been universally hailed as a genius for sure!

I don't want people to get over-hyped but DBC14 is so far beyond any of our previous titles.

*except a few pages from this morning.

WhiteCat

Club Cricketer
I read'em all*, if you had written "It will be so awesome if this game actually turns out to be completely hilarious." you would have been universally hailed as a genius for sure!

Can I claim a typo?

manee

Chairman of Selectors

Do you think you'll be able to get the ECB and CA licenses for a reduced price after the Ashes Cricket 2013 debacle? Seems like the whole thing could result in a bit of a bargain on the licenses if the game is good enough.

Saeglopur

County Cricketer
Do you think you'll be able to get the ECB and CA licenses for a reduced price after the Ashes Cricket 2013 debacle? Seems like the whole thing could result in a bit of a bargain on the licenses if the game is good enough.

Think he already said you'd have to pay him to take them at the moment! :lol

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
Not joking... Ashes is so tarnished that it certainly could not be the headline of a game. In apologising to the ACB and ECB even their license is tarnished.

Users who are viewing this thread