• England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
nightprowler10 said:
Not that I have a problem with this thread, but the thread made about India in Pakistan tour was temporarily closed until the England in Pakistan tour ended. IIRC, that thread was never reopened since another thread was started about India vs Pakistan.

That thread of "India vs Pakistan' was opened when both India and Pakistan were playing other countries in their backyards! But here, this thread is started when England dont have any international commitment until they come and play in India for which this whole thread is all about!

If anyone starts a new thread for "England in India", it should be closed! This thread by m_vaughan (Siddarth) should continue remaining till the end of England's tour of India!

I also feel England will find it a bit easier than how it was against Pakistan because India would have just come off a mentally draining tour of Pakistan which is quite a big tour (45 days!). Whearas England come off a good break of more than a month! Thankfully, the Indians have got the Asia Cup out of their way to recharge their batteries for facing England! Or else, I would say England will be with a slight edge!

cricket doctor

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
tsyrmas said:
Giles probably won't do much either.
yeap, Out of top 7 Indians, I would say, not going to make any difference to Sehwag and Dhoni, whether he bowls over the wicket or round the wicket.
Gambhir and Yuvraj/Ganguli are left handers, so, there to, not much chance.
Now remain, Sachin, Dravid and Laxman........
I wonder.................???????????????? :noway

tsyrmas

Club Cricketer
cricket doctor said:
yeap, Out of top 7 Indians, I would say, not going to make any difference to Sehwag and Dhoni, whether he bowls over the wicket or round the wicket.
Gambhir and Yuvraj/Ganguli are left handers, so, there to, not much chance.
Now remain, Sachin, Dravid and Laxman........
I wonder.................???????????????? :noway
and chances are, thats really going to hurt England.

themuel1 said:
Strangely I agree with the aussie fella, Tsyrmas. England need a good spinner to take. Giles is ok, but is not going to turn in match winning bowling performances.

why is it strange?? = :p lol

cricket doctor

International Cricketer
I reckon, again Freddie will be a main weapon and unless Jones doesn't get much reverse swing, he too can make the difference this time.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Sureshot said:
Oh poor Sachin.

KP is a must Colin, nearly 650 runs in 8 tests is brilliant, plus KP has a tremendous record in India for the A team.

My team.

Tres
Strauss
Vaughan
Bell
KP
Flintoff
I'd like to see Read back, as you can't afford to drop catches in India, but Jones will play unfortunately.
Loudon
Hoggard
harmison
Simon jones.

A tough tour ahead.

Loudon? Ouch
KP is not a must. He has shown time and time again he can't be trusted to bat responsibly when the team most needs it. Until he grows up he can continue to hit runs for the A team.

cricket doctor

International Cricketer
barmyarmy said:
Loudon? Ouch
KP is not a must. He has shown time and time again he can't be trusted to bat responsibly when the team most needs it. Until he grows up he can continue to hit runs for the A team.
KP really needs to improve his batting more against spinners, as you can't slog sweep Kumble all the time, unlike Warny.

Sureshot

Executive member
barmyarmy said:
Loudon? Ouch

When the team most needs it?

We most needed it at the Oval when we were set to draw the Ashes and thus not get them back, his innings secured the,.

rahulk666

International Cricketer
Don't you think this thread has been started a bit too early? Anyways... its hard to predict the series result until the current Ind-Pak series is over.

ronny_kingsley

Club Cricketer
I would like to stiff my neck out and say Englands best option for batting in Indian pitches will be guys like :Solanki ,Usmaan Afzal ,Hick (if he hasnt retired).

Also I like Gazzard a lot ,he is good in whatever little I saw of him.But Jones would remain for reasons well known to England selection panel.

FOr spinners I would have dropped Giles for this time would be perfect.ANy new spinner coming in wont be as bad as Giles atleast.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
ronny_kingsley said:
I would like to stiff my neck out and say Englands best option for batting in Indian pitches will be guys like Hick (if he hasnt retired)

That really is sticking your head out!

Sureshot said:
When the team most needs it?

We most needed it at the Oval when we were set to draw the Ashes and thus not get them back, his innings secured the,.

An innings where I recall he got a very big let off at slip early on. He played very well in that innings but unfortunately that is symptomatic in a way. Like England's batting he's either brilliant or dire when what we need it consistency.

cricket doctor

International Cricketer
ronny_kingsley said:
I would like to stiff my neck out and say Englands best option for batting in Indian pitches will be guys like :Solanki ,Usmaan Afzal ,Hick (if he hasnt retired).

Also I like Gazzard a lot ,he is good in whatever little I saw of him.But Jones would remain for reasons well known to England selection panel.
.....and they all are,not going to see India in Feb-March 06. :)

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Like I said in the England in Pakistan thread, England will (or atleast should) a lot more prepared and ready for this tour than what they were before touring their neighbours. I think after the Ashes win, England took Pakistan very lightly, which was a very dangerous thing to do, since the latter were playing at home. Hence when England lost the initiative in that second innings of the first test, they never really looked like getting back on their feet.

It was a good learning experience for a lot of the England players. I am sure the likes of Pietersen, Jones, Harmison, Bell and Strauss will improve after that tough tour of Pakistan and perform a lot better in India. I for once expect Strauss to score a lot of runs in this tour.

Bowling is where England's weakness is, when it comes to playing in the subcontinent. While the seam and swing bowlers can rip apart any batting lineup in most other regions, the slow and dead wickets in the subcontinent, do not offer any sort of assistance to them. To make matters worse, England lack even a single quality spinner. Giles has been the best option and has a decent job in the last few years, but you wouldnt expect him to worry India's strong batting lineup who are especially so good against spin. It will be interesting to see how Monty Panesar performs in India, should he get selected. It will be difficult since it will be his first tour of any kind with the national side, but if we are to believe Keppler Wessels, then I think England need him on this tour.

The England squad will be announced tomorrow at 1130 GMT. There are still doubts over Vaughan and Giles' injuries so we might have a few stand-by players being named as well.

My Squad:
Micheal Vaughan(Capt), Marcus Trescothick(vc), James Anderson, Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Ashley Giles, Andrew Flintoff, Geraint Jones(wk), Ed Joyce, Stephen Harmison, Matthew Hoggard, Simon Jones, Monty Panesar, Kevin Pieterson, Chris Read, Andrew Strauss.

Other players who might be named:
Shaun Udal, Gary Keedy, Robert Key, Ian Blackwell, Vikram Solanki, Matt Prior, Owais Shah, Alastair Cook, Alex Loudon, Liam Plunkett, Min Patel, Gareth Batty.

cricket doctor

International Cricketer
m_vaughan said:
My Squad:
Micheal Vaughan(Capt), Marcus Trescothick(vc), James Anderson, Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Ashley Giles, Andrew Flintoff, Geraint Jones(wk), Ed Joyce, Stephen Harmison, Matthew Hoggard, Simon Jones, Monty Panesar, Kevin Pieterson, Chris Read, Andrew Strauss.
Other players who might be named:
Shaun Udal, Gary Keedy, Robert Key, Ian Blackwell, Vikram Solanki, Matt Prior, Owais Shah, Alastair Cook, Alex Loudon, Liam Plunkett, Min Patel, Gareth Batty.
I would say Plunkett in for Anderson in your squad.

Is it O.K. now??????????????????????????

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread