England Tour Of Bangladesh 2010

khalek

Panel of Selectors
It will be interesting to see Cook's captaincy in the tests.

Has he ever captained any county or U19 side before?

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Very well said. If there was ever a place to blood a young leg-spinner Bangladesh away is the perfect place? Just shows the idiocy of our selectors though. I thought they'd finally got their act together, but clearly not. Rashid should definitely have toured Bangladesh, just hoping he performs well for the Lions and gets himself there. Although it's harsh on Tredwell, an injury to him would be helpful too.

I think they're more worried about what happened to Chris Schofield really, with them not wanting to rush Rashid into the test team. Which is fair enough for me actually, with the two home series and then Australia away, we're not going to need two spinners in the side for another year or more, add to that Swann doing brilliantly and there really is no way that Rashid would be in the side when it's at its strongest. So why rush him in? I say give him a full year of County Cricket in terms of 4 day games and see what he can do.

Owzat

International Coach
A chance for all the England underperformers to pick up easy runs and wickets, easy wins and concrete their places in the side forever more while not doing enough when it matters against better sides.

We could put in more players to push for their place in the side normally, however what can you tell from playing Bangladesh?

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Ahaha, nice work. At any rate, this thread is probably better off seeing as it's go the fixtures as well.

wolf

International Cricketer
A quite frankly bizzare decision to omit Adil Rashid. We have carried this guy around as out net bowler for the whole of 2009 and then comes around the ideal series to give him a chance and he's not even in the squad.

My team would have been (considering Colly has played pretty much every test, odi and T20 for the past four years I would have thought he was first on the list of players who needed a break):

Carberry
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Prior
Rashid
Broad
Swann
Onions
Sidebottom (or maybe a youngster)

Last edited:

Owzat

International Coach
ECB would rather give their autopicks (the chance of) easy runs and wickets than give newblood a chance. But as I said, what could you tell from this series anyway? Didn't Bell make 166no or something against Bangladesh and most knocked him for it, or you could do a Murali and play them like 15 times to pick up around 100 wickets :D

Perhaps someone in the ICC could build a time machine and go back and undo the decision to make Bangladesh a Test nation ahead of Kenya. Many many years later they appear no closer to making an impact, at least Zimbabwe have the excuse of politics ripping their decent side apart.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Dude i am pretty sure you dont even follow Bangladesh cricket. So you dont know jack about how much they improved or how much they haven't. so STFU... blind jackasses like you pisses me off

Owzat

International Coach
Warne reckons Strauss is "disrespectful" of Test cricket by not touring Bangladesh. What tripe. I'm sure he's not the first to miss matches for a rest, didn't Poncing rest for two ODIs over here? It's a tour that needed to be fitted in a hectic schedule, does Warne believe it disrespectful to play only every now and then against some Test nations and only two Tests while maintaining regular five Test series against others?!?

I think it's far more disrespectful of Test nations to pretty much ignore other nations, like playing Bangladesh only four times in the decade they've been a Test nation - applies equally to England and Australia to date

BBC Sport - Cricket - Strauss' Bangladesh absence 'disrespectful', says Warne

Tests/series vs Bangladesh

12/6 Sri Lanka
8/4 New Zealand
8/4 South Africa
8/4 Zimbabwe
7/4 India
6/3 Pakistan
6/3 West Indies
4/2 England
4/2 Australia

We'll pretty soon shoot up with these two series, but once every five years is not that regular for a two Test series slot. Sri Lanka and Pakistan played Bangladesh in the Asian Test Championship of 01/02, only Sri Lanka play Bangladesh with any great regularity and I'm sure that's in part to get Murali records

And if Warne wants to cite 'disrespect' and one day cricket dying, how come he doesn't say not playing Ireland, Zimbabwe and Kenya (more) is 'disrespectful' ?!? Australia have played Kenya four times in ODIs, two of those were World Cup matches. Both of England's ODIs vs Kenya were at World Cups, England do play Ireland occaisionally but do Test playing nations support developing sides as much as they could?!? The zimmers are still playing ODIs, but Australia haven't played them since 03/04 nor have England since 04/05 (but have played plenty of politics over the country). Sri Lanka, South Africa, Bangladesh, Pakistan and West Indies have all played them in 07/08 or more recently. New Zealand and India haven't played them since 05/06.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Rashid has already been discarded, they destroyed him as a bowler by playing him in the ODIs in South Africa.

3 overs for 28, then suddenly he is dumped from the Test squad, dumped from the ODI squad, and not taken to Bangladesh where they had been planning to use him in a Test for the past 2 years of his "development".

It takes more than being a Legspinner to take wickets at International level, you have to be good. Look at Salisbury, and Schofield. Rashid is just the latest in a long line of young spinners to be picked for England just because they are young and spin the ball.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Morgan should have been in the test squad.

aus_maestro

Club Cricketer
"It won't be easy to find a golf course in Bangladesh; if there is one, they'll probably have wooden clubs." - Paul Collingwood

Ouch, low blow

Sureshot

Executive member
Guess which blonde Australian leg-spinner played 2 test matches against Bangladesh in a career spinning 145 matches? Pot/kettle/black anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread