English Football Thread 2013/14

Who will win the Premiership?

• Total voters
Encouraging start for English players today. Welbeck needed such a performance in the league to silence his critics, just needs to keep it.

Sturridge continuing to shine & further shoes that if Chelsea & Man City wanted to give him a proper chance he would have scored or them too.

A Rooney/Welbeck/Sturridge/Walcott for England has much potential.

Encouraging stuff from Ross Barkeley, looks to have the makings of all-action mid fielder & not to mention Agbonlahor. Gabby ended last season real good for Villa, Hodgson shouldn't forget him.

Last edited:
So to avoid spending money I reckon Wenger will be playing a back four of Jenkinson - Mertesacker - Ramsey - Wilshere next week. Exciting times.

Redknapp is a truly awful pundit. He compared Danny Welbeck to Kenny Dalglish (the player) yesterday. I almost cried.

Great start by the Champions yesterday - Swansea: a very tough place to go, but we brushed them aside and it could've been more as well with RvP heading a chance straight at the keeper. Welbeck looked good but he has got to drop 'skill moves' from his game as he simply isn't any good at them! Whenever he tried a 'skill move' yesterday it went wrong, with one in particular leading to Bony's consolation for Swansea. Stick to the basics Danny, and you'll do well this season I reckon.

Rooney looked good even though he wasn't fully fit, but as the guys on Sky right now are saying, he didn't go celebrate with the rest of the team when the goals were scored, even though he set two of them up.

Hell of a match at Anfield as well. The Premiership is well and truly back! :)

I'd rather have Welbeck doing some crazy things on the pitch.

Really good debut for Bony. Top goalscorers in Eredivisie have for so long failed to do it anywhere else in Europe. He should be the one to change that. In the recent past the only guys to do that have been Suarez and van Nistelrooy... Big things ahead I think for young Wilfried.

He missed a couple of sitters but looked pretty strong and athletic leading the line. Will prove a handful for flimsy defences like Arsenal.

I'm quite sure you would, but I'd rather see him stick to the basics and score a hatful of goals for Utd and England. :p

England do need more players with flair though, and Welbeck might fill that slot.:p

probably a bit too early to get carried away but I'm not particularly surprised by the villa arsenal score, Villa aren't going to repeat last years performance, Lambert is, imo, one of the future top managers in the world.

benteke in particular is one of the best 5 strikers in the league, probably only van persie is clearly better than him, but their attack on the whole will cause everyone problems.

*Liverpool fanboy spotted*

^ *Cough* *cough* Suarez *cough* *cough*.

benteke is quicker and stronger and a greater aerial threat, also younger and playing for a more limited side and yet he pretty much matched suarez, especially in the latter half of the season goal for goal. plus he's not an utterly liability that will be banned for 10 matches. suarez probably shades him for now but really, do you think Villa would swap? if benteke can build on last season, which personally, given he was quite mature about a transfer request (withdrew the day after lambert spoke to him about it), I think he can, you're talking someone who would walk into any premiership starting XI.

Last edited:
Aah well you have got a point there. But he is still too far to be considered as one of the best, he needs a good season this year to prove so.

Users who are viewing this thread