English Football Thread 2013/14

Who will win the Premiership?

• Total voters

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Can't see Cole playing at another England club & the Madrid rumours are nonsense are usually. MLS would a be a nice gigg for him really.

Ha, Yaya Toure seems unusually emotion. Earlier this season i noticed he was strangely stating, people don't accept him for his abilities just because he is black - now this crap. Come on!!

----------

Yeah!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chelsea's top talent scout also made some remarks recently voicing displeasure with the loan system, specifically the way one of the Blues' top young talents was handled this season

Here , Lucas means Lucas Piazon , the young Brazilian attacking mid/winger.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At present, the gulf in quality between the U21 league and the Premier League is massive, and very few young players are going to be able to make that leap without going out on loan to a club playing football at a level somewhere in the middle. Oddly enough, top youngsters make the jump fairly regularly in both Spain and Germany, two countries that allow B teams into the lower tiers.

With a B team system, top clubs would have the option of allowing their youth to continue working at their world class facilities while ensuring that these players were able to compete at an appropriate level while training with top coaches and top players. Remember that stretch this season where Chelsea's strikers were all either misfiring or injured? How nice would it have been for Jose Mourinho to have a guy like Patrick Bamford available for recall, to give him a shot with the big boys that didn't require him to be a part of the Chelsea first team for the remainder of the season? How great would it have been for Tomas Kalas to get the sort of first team use he did this year, but to actually have a competitive environment in which to play when there wasn't going to be a place for him within the first team squad? A B team wouldn't provide Premier League level competition every week, but it would certainly be better than trotting these guys out against a bunch of teenagers with no professional experience in order to earn one or two chances on the big stage.

Dyke's suggestion of B teams didn't go over particularly well with many in England, most of whom would fear for the history and tradition of the English game should such drastic, senseless changes take place. Lost in all of that is that the vast majority of those making these complaints probably watched less than an hour of this sacred lower tier football this season, or that these same folks will inevitably open up on the English development system when the national team takes an early flight home from Brazil. Like the addition of goal line technology to the game, the B team would make English football better.

Note : The 3rd part is not my work , I took this from a fan blog.

I'm on the fence on this debate, but these points certainly make sense, just like the opposition to the B team idea that i've heard and read . Will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
"If a player like Yaya went to Liverpool and they won the league after 24 years, I think Yaya can be a god in Liverpool." - Toure's agent

:D :lol

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
David Luiz on the brink of sensational switch to PSG with Chelsea star set to become world's most expensive defender in mega deal close to ?50million | Mail Online

David Luiz is one of our best and most valuable players, wanted by Bayern, Barca and PSG. If I was in charge I won?t even sell him for that amount, that is how much I rate him. He is perfect in the pivot with Matic and I still consider him a better defender than Cahill, he just needs to be handed more responsibility, like say making him vice captain if Lamps doesn?t come back. His few lapses are always over blown, making him out to be some sort of calamity at the back. All our defenders made equal and for some, even more mistakes than Luiz but it?s normally overlooked. He is miles ahead of all our central midfielders except maybe Matic. Everybody seems to have forgotten how much he is missed in the team whenever he is injured. Luiz is a rare breed of player that is excellent in 2 positions.

Last edited:

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
Demba Ba in march said:
My agent has spoken to the club about a departure and he has started speaking with other clubs about a contract for next year.

I hope we can find the best option possible. I'd like to stay in England. I like other leagues, too. I'd like to try the Italian league.

Demba Ba in april said:
I'm looking to leave Chelsea. I want to play the full 90 minutes, get the maximum number of games and enjoy myself. I've not done that very much this season, and I doubt things will change for me here

Demba Ba now said:
Jose Mourinho has asked me to stay at Chelsea next season. He assured me that my situation would change. I see this as my reward from God. I weighed up the pros and cons, and think that I will stay put to see what happens.

I don't know whether my situation will improve, but what with the coach's offer anything can happen. I want to play a lot of matches, and I think that will be the case for me.

Chelsea outcast Demba Ba staying at Stamford Bridge | Football | Sport | Daily Star. Simply The Best 7 Days A Week

So Torres is staying, Ba is staying, we'll get a new striker. Where does it leave Rom? I dont want him to leave CFC because for a 20-year old he is phenomenal.

----------

I?d honestly rather have one of Balotelli, Doumbia or Benzema instead of Costa, as they?re all more technical and would help us in breaking down deep defences, something we struggle with currently. By contrast, Costa scores most of his goals on the counter. Besides, Lukaku offers the same profile as Costa and is already BPL proven.
Also, a striking partnership of Balotelli/Doumbia/Benzema and Lukaku would be deadly.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
David Luiz on the brink of sensational switch to PSG with Chelsea star set to become world's most expensive defender in mega deal close to ?50million | Mail Online

David Luiz is one of our best and most valuable players, wanted by Bayern, Barca and PSG. If I was in charge I won?t even sell him for that amount, that is how much I rate him. He is perfect in the pivot with Matic and I still consider him a better defender than Cahill, he just needs to be handed more responsibility, like say making him vice captain if Lamps doesn?t come back. His few lapses are always over blown, making him out to be some sort of calamity at the back. All our defenders made equal and for some, even more mistakes than Luiz but it?s normally overlooked. He is miles ahead of all our central midfielders except maybe Matic. Everybody seems to have forgotten how much he is missed in the team whenever he is injured. Luiz is a rare breed of player that is excellent in 2 positions.

You don't trust Sky, but are completely bought into the Mail, words can't even express what I think of that. :rolleyes

Chelsea outcast Demba Ba staying at Stamford Bridge | Football | Sport | Daily Star. Simply The Best 7 Days A Week

So Torres is staying, Ba is staying, we'll get a new striker. Where does it leave Rom? I dont want him to leave CFC because for a 20-year old he is phenomenal.

I still believe brains will prevail and Costa, Lukaku and Ba will be your options for strikers next season.

I?d honestly rather have one of Balotelli, Doumbia or Benzema instead of Costa, as they?re all more technical and would help us in breaking down deep defences, something we struggle with currently. By contrast, Costa scores most of his goals on the counter. Besides, Lukaku offers the same profile as Costa and is already BPL proven.
Also, a striking partnership of Balotelli/Doumbia/Benzema and Lukaku would be deadly.

What's with you and underrating Costa or not rating him at all? Especially to the extent where you consider Benzema a better option, you might as well keep Torres instead of shelling money out for him. :p

There's a thing with striking partnerships, it doesn't work when you flood the squad with AMs/winger, you just end up with a lot of unhappy players, don't expect a change in system, I'm sure 2 strikers will start the odd game or finish some games with 1 coming off the bench, but anything more than that I don't see happening.

Last edited:

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
Nah, I dont trust the Daily Fail. And with the FFP restrictions, P$G certainly wont spend 50M on one player. But David just let his love for Paris known in a recent interview and has got very few chances in his favored position, even though he has been brilliant at DM.

Costa is undoubtedly a very good striker who will score bucketloads of goals wherever he plays, but the question is, is he the guy we want? We already have a guy who is physical and thrives in a counter attacking system - Rom. We now need someone who is a "bus-beater", someone who offers technical ability. Costa, in the 2 matches he played against Chelsea, did not impress me( and a lot of CFC fans) much. We did "park the bus" that day, and he could not do shit.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Nah, I dont trust the Daily Fail. And with the FFP restrictions, P$G certainly wont spend 50M on one player. But David just let his love for Paris known in a recent interview and has got very few chances in his favored position, even though he has been brilliant at DM.

Transfer news: Paris St Germain in talks to sign David Luiz from Chelsea for ?50m | Football News | Sky Sports

BBC Sport - Chelsea: David Luiz closing in on ?40m Paris St-Germain move

David Luiz close to completing record ?40m move to PSG from Chelsea | Football | theguardian.com

Costa is undoubtedly a very good striker who will score bucketloads of goals wherever he plays, but the question is, is he the guy we want? We already have a guy who is physical and thrives in a counter attacking system - Rom. We now need someone who is a "bus-beater", someone who offers technical ability. Costa, in the 2 matches he played against Chelsea, did not impress me( and a lot of CFC fans) much. We did "park the bus" that day, and he could not do shit.

Yes, he's the guy you want, and it's not technical ability that beats deep defenses, it's patience, having the patience and fortitude to continue to draw players out and getting a mistake out of them, drawing fouls, and more importantly not frustrating yourself to the point you start hitting shots from 40 yards out... and are you really basing Costa's "bus-beating" prowess off 2 games? That too against the best bus in all the land. :p

Last edited:

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
No, the only issue I have is, very few(if any) of the teams in the Liga "park the bus". It obviously makes scoring easier. However, almost every team(except the top 6)parks the bus against Chelsea. And moreover, Costa is the focal point of the attacks in Atleti but in Chelsea it will be Eden. CFCs midfielders wont give Costa as many chances as Atleti's, they will go for the shots themselves. So we need someone who can finish as well as create, that is the reason I am reluctant about Costa.

Users who are viewing this thread