English Football Thread 2013/14

Who will win the Premiership?

• Total voters

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
There's a higher chance of Lamela reaching that potential, but the point is ?35 m is a HUGE sum of money, you spend that on a ready made player who will get you results.

There are plenty of ?5-10 m players that have reached great heights, and they could do just as good a job of sitting on the bench as Lamela is.

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
That's just ridiculous I must say, Costa even if he is supposedly bad against teams who park the bus, he would absolutely annihilate the rest, turn matches Mourinho sees as tactical draws into wins.

True , but who we need is someone who is effective against teams which park the bus. Against the bigger teams , our strikers/wingers always find a way to score.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
There's a higher chance of Lamela reaching that potential, but the point is ?35 m is a HUGE sum of money, you spend that on a ready made player who will get you results.

There are plenty of ?5-10 m players that have reached great heights, and they could do just as good a job of sitting on the bench as Lamela is.

Except he didn't cost ?35m... and I don't know how you can put Lamela being benched solely down to him, he's clearly out of favor with Sherwood and when AVB was around, he spent most of the time on the treatment table.

True , but who we need is someone who is effective against teams which park the bus. Against the bigger teams , our strikers/wingers always find a way to score.

Are Atletico one of those bigger teams that your strikers/wingers always find a way to score against? Because they surely didn't park the bus. :p

Last edited:

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Except he didn't cost ?35m... and I don't know how you can put Lamela being benched solely down to him, he's clearly out of favor with Sherwood and when AVB was around, he spent most of the time on the treatment table.

Are Atletico one of those bigger teams that your strikers/wingers always find a way to score against? Because they didn't park the bus.

He's a good player, but it's a blunder from Spurs. AVB didn't like playing him either, and clearly it shows a lack of communication between Levy and his manager. It was an awful buy when you take that into account, and it seems they didn't even realise that they needed creativity more. Buying young players is good, but not at that price when they are solely seen as prospects and that is the point I am making.

Eriksen can't do all of it, and basically he's their only creative player, and it seem they thought Lamela was a creative player too when he's far from it. They spunked all their ?100 m+ on unneeded players like him and Capoue when in reality they needed a creative player badly. Eriksen'll get marked out of the game next season, and Spurs will be back to having Soldado penalties as their main producer of goals.

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
In all honesty , Diaby is better than Wilshere. Wilshere is just yet another overrated English player. If Diaby can stay fit , he will be Arsenal's talisman.

----------

Those who feel Mourinho is the manager with the biggest ego or the most arrogant manager , just wait till you see Louis van Gaal at United. :p

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
It's made for him.

Blz7QBPCcAA1JdL.jpg

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1509967_1413514742251870_2674327195096802364_n.jpg
    1509967_1413514742251870_2674327195096802364_n.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 36

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
I wouldn't mind Ian Holloway as Man Utd manager:D.

----------

But in all seriousness, I think United are screaming for someone of Joe Kinnear's stature.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
the problem with the big teams looking for managers these days is you get a good reputation by being a guy that develops young talent and builds a team up from the ground patiently with limited resources into one that has a very defined playing ethos.

which is why Klopp, Yakin, Rudi Garcia and and the like all have really good reputations, but they had time to do this.

but the big teams hire managers to come in and spend loads of money and get instant results. which requires man management skills and a more adaptable tactical approach as they may not get to choose the players they have and have to work with a disparate range of talents.

there are exceptions to the rule and guys that can do both, but that's generally the case. expect man u to go after klopp and then spend a season puzzling why a bunch of players brought in for millions over the summer don't play like the guys he worked with for 5 or 6 years since they were teenagers. (or maybe not because he'll do amazingly well, who knows)

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
the problem with the big teams looking for managers these days is you get a good reputation by being a guy that develops young talent and builds a team up from the ground patiently with limited resources into one that has a very defined playing ethos.

which is why Klopp, Yakin, Rudi Garcia and and the like all have really good reputations, but they had time to do this.

but the big teams hire managers to come in and spend loads of money and get instant results. which requires man management skills and a more adaptable tactical approach as they may not get to choose the players they have and have to work with a disparate range of talents.

there are exceptions to the rule and guys that can do both, but that's generally the case. expect man u to go after klopp and then spend a season puzzling why a bunch of players brought in for millions over the summer don't play like the guys he worked with for 5 or 6 years since they were teenagers. (or maybe not because he'll do amazingly well, who knows)

I feel it works this way - if you have achieved more , you get more time. Simple as that. DM did not win trophies. Yes , he was the PL Manager of the year a couple of times , but he did not lead his team to glory. SAF , when he came to United , won a lot of trophies with Aberdeen. So the board knew he could win trophies , they gave him time. I do not think the same applies to DM.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
He's a good player, but it's a blunder from Spurs. AVB didn't like playing him either, and clearly it shows a lack of communication between Levy and his manager. It was an awful buy when you take that into account, and it seems they didn't even realise that they needed creativity more. Buying young players is good, but not at that price when they are solely seen as prospects and that is the point I am making.

Eriksen can't do all of it, and basically he's their only creative player, and it seem they thought Lamela was a creative player too when he's far from it. They spunked all their ?100 m+ on unneeded players like him and Capoue when in reality they needed a creative player badly. Eriksen'll get marked out of the game next season, and Spurs will be back to having Soldado penalties as their main producer of goals.

Lamela wasn't solely seen as a prospect though, I thought he was ready to kick on and be a monster, and I'm sure Spurs/Levy/Baldini thought the same, but ofc, that's not how it turned out for various reasons both you and I have mentioned.

I want Rafa Benitez/Sherwood/AVB/Dalgish as the next United gaffer.

Not a single guy from the supposed shortlist, nice.

Last edited:

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Had he been asked last summer I'm fairly sure Jose Mourinho would have taken the United job and made a much better job of it than Moyes did. I doubt he'd leave Chelsea now though so that ship has sailed. I don't know what they should do, there is simply not an outstanding candidate.

Users who are viewing this thread