English Football Thread 2013/14

Who will win the Premiership?

• Total voters

Epic

Panel of Selectors
There are outstanding candidates out there, it's just they're not "available".

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
There's a higher chance of Lamela reaching that potential, but the point is ?35 m is a HUGE sum of money, you spend that on a ready made player who will get you results.

There are plenty of ?5-10 m players that have reached great heights, and they could do just as good a job of sitting on the bench as Lamela is.

The transfer market is inflated in the premier league & has been for years.

Lamela cost so much, cause Roma knew Spurs had big cash after selling bale or else i think Roma may have kept him.

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
Late April Fool?

What do you mean? 7 goals in 62 caps for the Three Lions. What a service to English football he has been. Banged in a grand total of 9 during his illustrious 3 year career at the Villa, he is practically worshiped over here.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
I feel it works this way - if you have achieved more , you get more time. Simple as that. DM did not win trophies. Yes , he was the PL Manager of the year a couple of times , but he did not lead his team to glory. SAF , when he came to United , won a lot of trophies with Aberdeen. So the board knew he could win trophies , they gave him time. I do not think the same applies to DM.

football was basically a different sport back when ferguson was given time you really can't compare the two like you have.

War

Chairman of Selectors
In all honesty , Diaby is better than Wilshere. Wilshere is just yet another overrated English player. If Diaby can stay fit , he will be Arsenal's talisman

While i'd accept that if Diaby was fit more often he could have been a very useful DM/B2B for Arsenal & France - I'm not sure that potential best of Diaby would be better than Wilshere.

Secondly ha, I always find these "overrated English player" comments funny.

How can England, a country that has such a poor international record for a major nation, that the world mocks and its own fans have overrated players?

Who overrates them?. It sure can be the premier league or else the amount of ENG players in the league won't be under 40 %.

That logic doesn't make sense. Given ENGs history, ENG players are either not rated highly at all or in some cases, the actual good ones are under-rated because the general consensus the ENG system can't produce a player that the Spanish, Brazilians, Germans, Italians etc produce.

It generally takes a continental manager like a Wenger, Benetiz, Martinez, Houllier, Hiddink, Capello, Pochettenio to work with a few, hype a ENG player that is good before anyone seriously takes note.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
The media overrates them of course, as well as fans to a lesser extent. Then of course you have the inflated prices for Englishmen.

Diaby, at 27, is still just a prospect. He has things Wilshere doesn't though, like his strength. Diaby is a pretty complete B2B midfielder, he has an eye for a pass, a good shot, good positioning and he can surge forward on his own with his dribbling. It's a shame he can never play. I rate Diaby higher than post-injury Wilshere.

Diaby was ruined by injuries, but had it not been for that tackle that effectively ended his career, he'd be one of the top midfielders in the league if not Europe. It's a shame he's 99% missing out on the World Cup, he's France's best midfielder.

But he will never be a huge player for us due to his injuries.

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
While i'd accept that if Diaby was fit more often he could have been a very useful DM/B2B for Arsenal & France - I'm not sure that potential best of Diaby would be better than Wilshere.

Secondly ha, I always find these "overrated English player" comments funny.

How can England, a country that has such a poor international record for a major nation, that the world mocks and its own fans have overrated players?

Who overrates them?. It sure can be the premier league or else the amount of ENG players in the league won't be under 40 %.

That logic doesn't make sense. Given ENGs history, ENG players are either not rated highly at all or in some cases, the actual good ones are under-rated because the general consensus the ENG system can't produce a player that the Spanish, Brazilians, Germans, Italians etc produce.

It generally takes a continental manager like a Wenger, Benetiz, Martinez, Houllier, Hiddink, Capello, Pochettenio to work with a few, hype a ENG player that is good before anyone seriously takes note.

Who overrates them ? The English Media. Wilshere was hailed good enough to play for Barca at their peak. But I feel he has not progressed as much as they expected him to.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Of course he hasn't progressed well. He's been injured for such a long time. 10/11 Wilshere showed frightening ability for his age.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
People were hailing barkey in the england squad and as world class when he had one good game and scored one good goal against norwich.

If a young english player shows promise the hyper is absurd.

Users who are viewing this thread