How do you make tailenders play like tailenders?

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I've probably posted this before, but I find it strange that no matter how poor I make my created tailenders, the AI comes out and bats like David Gower and Ian Botham during the last wicket, and I have no idea why or how I stop it. Time and time again I have seen the AI on 9/100 or so, only to hit over 200. Is there any funny AI strategy at play at the end of an innings? Does anyone else find the last pair ridiculously hard to dislodge? Same happens on career player where the last men come in and smash 40's and 50's, and it happens on any difficulty.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Part of the problem for me is that pace and short balls are played too easily. I don't expect when a bowl a delivery at 98mph for the batsman to lazily middle a defensive shot as if it was bowled at 50mph and there's never any sense of batsmen, especially tailenders, being unable to play bouncers. Maybe it's just my bowling but I agree that the range of shots is too large.
I think it was BLIC2007 (maybe AC09) where batsmen and bowlers only had certain shots and deliveries. Made it much more realistic when tailenders were still swinging but only with a hoik over leg and not a perfectly executed cover drive or straight 6.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
There seems to be little correlation between how the shots come off and the skill levels of the batsman in question. Maybe Ross could tell us what effect the sliders have. I notice tailenders probably bat a bit more slowly, but they don't seem any more susceptible to say getting an outside edge, than a top order batsman.

D

Deleted member 9102

I made a team of players with absolutely minimum skill points/attributes and tried bowling at them as England on Legend in a Test match... They played in almost exactly the same way as if I had picked any actual international side. Scoring just as frequently and doing the 'middle or miss' routine without their wicket really looking under threat, until the occasional suicidal shot gifting you a wicket.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I made a team of players with absolutely minimum skill points/attributes and tried bowling at them as England on Legend in a Test match... They played in almost exactly the same way as if I had picked any actual international side. Scoring just as frequently and doing the 'middle or miss' routine without their wicket really looking under threat, until the occasional suicidal shot gifting you a wicket.

Hmm.. thats concerning.

Looks like this game is strictly online for me only.

kushari

International Coach
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

That mean editing skill does not make any difference in AI batting. Yes, I still get those last 02 Wickets partnership of more than 100 Runs rather frequently (But much less than how it was before Patch-2).. Its OK though, BAS has more serious stuff to work on as of now, may be later when they have some free time they will work on it.

Beefybeef66

Club Captain
This really needs to be addressed - its not clear what sort of impact the sliders have. Hopefully BA will be onto it.

Nack

Club Captain
Strange. I haven't had this issue, though I've only played on Amateur and Pro. So far I've found tailenders easier to get out than recognised batsmen and haven't seen any particularly strange scorecards when I've simulated in career mode.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
I've noticed all the scorecards seem to be legit when simulated. I will have a look at if the AI play any differently on the easier modes. It would be nice if we knew what effect the sliders have on AI play, if any at all, and the AI mentality trait which I am not 100% sure works either (although I have seen more reverse sweeps from radical players)

Beefybeef66

Club Captain
It would be good if someone could check that batting/bowling/fielding abilities have some difference in game.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
AI batting in general is an area that needs looking at in a major way. I guess they've looked at the human batting experience first and that's fair enough, but now they need to start looking at how the AI bats and how that affects the human bowling experience.

The AI (whether batting, field sets or field changes) really stands out as the weakest area of the game by a distance. I am sure they are looking into it.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
I did some testing, I ran a whole load of AI vs. AI matches, about 30, test and ODI, with various teams and found that tailenders averaged 23 (obviously with not outs), and the top seven averaged 21.

I was then told by Ross that AI and AI is not representative of the gameplay. I then tested bowling against Russia and got them all out for 67 on pro (their last pair added 40), and India made 247 with me bowling in the same conditions. So obviously there is a difference between good batsmen and average to poor batsmen, but tailenders for some reason are not given enough weakness.

Is this/can this be rectified by patching? I'm not trying to slate the game I love but I don't see why when things are so good elsewhere, I have Jimmy Anderson on one skill dot for batting averaging 41 with the batting, late cutting sixes. This aint right I'm afraid

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Yes , the Tailenders have long reigned supreme in this game , the very rarely get bundled out without putting up one decent partnership ...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
This is one of the minor things that will be polished over the lifespan of the DBC franchise. I would expect the core gameplay to be nailed in the first couple of iterations and then focus on niggles such as tailenders or declarations etc.

Users who are viewing this thread