ICC Champions Trophy 2013 - England & Wales

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Tournament review

Interesting tournament in a lot of ways. India & England clearly played the best cricket in it, but neither team IMO were that impressive a ODI outfit as past top ODI teams.

Like when India won the 2011 w-cup i don't think they are the best ODI team in the world at all, while my own English side still needs Pietersen in it, especially with a solid but relatively old fashioned top 3 of Cook/Bell/Trott.

Thought windies team was pretty good, but their T20 insticts got the better of them.

S Africa's underlying problem is still the quota selection. As an outsider i understand this is touchy subject. But i'm not sure if in a full-strength ODI team Tsotsobe really deserves to be a squad regular over some better white/coloured players like Chris Morris. Phangiso is ok, but is he really a better all-round left-arm spinner than Roloef Van Der Merwe?. I think not
Wayne Parnell has been crap, yet he is always in around the squad. S Africa have the talent the translate their test dominance to the limited overs game quite easily. But their best XI/Squad because of quotas tends to deny this.

Pakistan bowling is great, but batting let them down.

N Zealand were they usual self. Can obviously still do with Ryder coming back. Same too with Sri Lan

The tournament can certainly be part of the future international calendar because contrary to public opinion 50 overs is not dead & this tournament proves that when a group of evenly matched teams come together 50 overs is wayy better than T20s.

The ICC however needs to control the rise of T20 leagues worldwide if they are going to keep the C-Trophy alive in the future. Because in international calender has been ridiculously over-packed for years now because of this MAJOR faux pas.

S

Satan666

Congrats to Team India on winning the last installment of the Champions Trophy, more importantly congrats to MSD on leading another weak team to glory, after this tournament he should be classed with Clive Lloyd and Steve Waugh as the best captains the game has had.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Congrats to Team India on winning the last installment of the Champions Trophy, more importantly congrats to MSD on leading another weak team to glory, after this tournament he should be classed with Clive Lloyd and Steve Waugh as the best captains the game has had.

Weak team? Didn't India go unbeaten in the tourney? If India's a weak team pray tell me who exactly is a strong team :rolleyes

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
India has shown their real power.No longer could they be described home lions.They have shown that they could win in foreign soil as well.India has found a convincing opener Shikhar Dhawan but Rohit Sharma has not been very convincing.The middle order is convincing. Kohli and Dhoni has been so good and are in form. D.Karthick was good throughout the tournament.Suresh Raina need to improve and need to prove his ability in international games.Seamers show is moderate. I Sharma has proved that he is good in seamers friendly pitches.B Kumar has been good as well. U Yadav has showed of in some games. Spinners has really shown their power. Ashwin has been good. Jadeja has proven that he is a good option and could be considered as a main stream bowler as well. Jadeja has shown his batting ability as well. He played the role that Yuvraj had played in the WC 2011.So the new and improved team India has shown their power.Hats of to the selectors as they played the crucial role in the transfer of the old guns to the convincing youngsters.:clap

War

Chairman of Selectors
Also although i know the reasons why it happens, but it's always funny to see in England every time India or Pakistan come to England, how all these Asians swarm to grounds all over the country. Ha you wonder where they be when England are playing other countries in a home series.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Poor England. Have to feel sorry for them after so many trophy attempts and still not one in the bag.

It must be more of a mental block now.

On the other hand, MSD was extraordinary throughout this series and he pulled another rabbit out of the hat when he chose Ishant Sharma to bowl that crucial 18th over. I said the match would be done in that over but didn't realize in what way it would be over!!! Once again Dhoni defied all odds and went with his gut feel.

MSD and big tournament finals - he sure has some special talent in those big moments to pick out a winner.

Owzat

International Coach
Poor England. Have to feel sorry for them after so many trophy attempts and still not one in the bag.

I'm glad England didn't win a 50 over tournament by means of a 20 overs a side final, it just wouldn't have been right.

It must be more of a mental block now.

England get it wrong on so many levels, selection, tactical, mental...................

England have yet to come to terms with the new age of ODIs, which is why we've not reached a World Cup final since 1992 and our only "successes" in that format are occasional shorter competitions like this one.

I think a major part of the problem is one they could fix if they could actually acknowledge it.

On the other hand, MSD was extraordinary throughout this series and he pulled another rabbit out of the hat when he chose Ishant Sharma to bowl that crucial 18th over. I said the match would be done in that over but didn't realize in what way it would be over!!! Once again Dhoni defied all odds and went with his gut feel.

You mean when Isshit Sharma bowled rubbish and England blew it..........? Dunno who should come out with the tag of mystic meg, you or Dhonki. Of course one of the latter overs in a tight game was going to be crucial, if it hadn't been that one you'd have said the next one, or the next one..................

What was "hero" Isshit's moment? An awful shot heaving from outside off to leg, or Bopara picking out a fielder?!?!?!? Was Dhonki a tactical genius? Or did he/Isshit get lucky? The latter, nothing he bowled was a great wicket-taking delivery, of course he tried something different, what would anyone expect with two wides and a six in his first three balls......................?!?!?!?!?

Sahil 7

Panel of Selectors
Well played india we deserved the trophy we were unbeatean in the tournament and that was a brilliant captaincy from Msd to give ishant sharma 18th over when he was indias expensive bowler just came out and took two big wickets and changed the match

Warner Watson

Banned
Well played india we deserved the trophy we were unbeatean in the tournament and that was a brilliant captaincy from Msd to give ishant sharma 18th over when he was indias expensive bowler just came out and took two big wickets and changed the match

you deserved the trophy except final, in final England have 90% chances to win when Morgan and Bopara at crease, they need 20 from 16 balls only and with 6 wickets in hand, Morgan's wicket was the turning point, if Morgan or Bopara stays till end you can't thought to win the Final of CT13. anyways congrats to winning team.:cheers

Singh94

School Cricketer
Also although i know the reasons why it happens, but it's always funny to see in England every time India or Pakistan come to England, how all these Asians swarm to grounds all over the country. Ha you wonder where they be when England are playing other countries in a home series.

That is because we don't care about England and only support India/Pakistan

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
you deserved the trophy except final, in final England have 90% chances to win when Morgan and Bopara at crease, they need 20 from 16 balls only and with 6 wickets in hand, Morgan's wicket was the turning point, if Morgan or Bopara stays till end you can't thought to win the Final of CT13. anyways congrats to winning team.:cheers

Except the finals?Indians held on to their nerves and got the key wickets at the correct time.20 from 16 is a different thing,we held on to our nerves,took intellegent decisions and won it.India dint deserve,first comment of this sorts i am seeing.

Warner Watson

Banned
^ you didn't see how Morgan and Bopara guiding England's chase, Morgan's wicket was te turning point of the match if one of them stays definately England were the champions. only they need 20 from 16 balls and have 6 wickets in hand.

Gurjot95

National Board President
^ you didn't see how Morgan and Bopara guiding England's chase, Morgan's wicket was te turning point of the match if one of them stays definately England were the champions. only they need 20 from 16 balls and have 6 wickets in hand.
England choked. They couldn't held their nerves so didn't deserved, get over with it. Best Team in finals and whole tournament won it.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Like when India won the 2011 w-cup i don't think they are the best ODI team in the world at all, while my own English side still needs Pietersen in it, especially with a solid but relatively old fashioned top 3 of Cook/Bell/Trott.

So, who do you think looks the best ODI side right now? India took an unheralded squad to the tournament. People talk of teams going through transition phases. This Indian side is going through that as well and some credit must go to Dhoni and the selectors for scripting such a success story with a team in transition. Only 4 players from that 2011 World Cup side were a part of England 2013. Compare this to sides like Australia and SA who have been always hailed as teams with superior bench strength and expected to go through such transition with relative ease as opposed to sides like India. Australia`s so-called bench strength looks woefully out of depth. SA seemed way out of league with a couple of key players out through injury. England, SA, West Indies, SL all had far more experienced squads than India this time around.

India were a dominant side in this tournament and even better than the side that won the 2011 World Cup. I generally don`t jump the gun but if this side can keep up the intensity, they will dominate for quite a while. The energy and flair that they brought to this tournament was refreshing. I don`t see any reason why India should`nt be called the top dogs of ODI cricket inspite of being current holders of both major ODI trophies (with two different squads and under different conditions).

Users who are viewing this thread