Story ICC World Twenty20 - UAE 2012: End of Match 1

Addy

National Board President
I am backing Afghanis to win this match but the end result seems to be Lankans clinching it quite comfortably!

Last edited:

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
star_cricket.jpg

ICC World Twenty20 - UAE 2012
Match 1 - Group C
Sri Lanka v Afghanistan
Live from Sharjah

Sri Lanka take early wickets as Afghans struggle!
We are back to bring you Afghanistan's chase. Noori and Ali walked out to open the batting for Afghans and it was Slinga-Malinga who took the new ball for the Lankans. The crowd was anticipating Afghanistan to put up a good show after having bowled well. They were behind the openers already!

It was Noor Ali who was on strike to face Malinga. It wasn't a good time for Ali as Malinga was full and on the money right from the start. Malinga struck on 4th ball of innings' first over as Noor Ali mishit and it went straight to Chandimal. It was interesting to see Chandimal not keep and it was Sangakkara with the gloves.

image11ip.jpg

Sadiq was the next man in. He didn't spend much time in the middle as well. After hitting a boundary early on, he ran when there wasn't a run in it. Played it straight to Dilshan who was quick in getting it back to Sangakkara who removed the bails and Sadiq was too late to turn back. Afghanistan were on the back foot very early and Sri Lankans robbed them off a good start!

image10e.jpg

Sri Lankan skipper Dilshan gave Malinga an additional over as he was on the attack. It clearly meant he needed another wicket from his premier fast bowler to put Afghanistan right behind the eight ball. And, guess what? Lasith Malinga delivered it for his captain. He bowled a perfect yorker to Shabir Noori who was looking set and had made 16 runs. It was a toe crusher!

That meant Afghanistan captain Nowroz Mangal joined Mohammad Shahzad in the middle. Afghanistan are in deep trouble here. Will the remaining batsmen make a match of this or will Sri Lankan bowlers clean them up quickly? Stay tuned to know what happens next!

image9rj.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------

AFG 31/3 (6)

N Mangal* 0 (0)
M Shahzad 7 (13)

L Malinga 2-12 (3)

Graphics by Ahad, Writing by User2010

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
As I said before, the target is way too much. My prediction Afghanis bowled out for 89

RPHKR

National Board President
Really good picturization there followed by a good writeup. Ahad and User you rock!

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
This guy Malinga, seriously can be so frustrating for batsmen. :p

I'm not sure if User is doing graphics at all but it would be good to see some technologies used (like hotspot or hawkeye) like User's stories always have. Would be great if Ahad can try doing some work on a hawk eye too because his graphics work has been tremendous so far. It's a different thing if you guys are planning to do this very simple and do the basic graphics because doing a long tournament along with good graphics and writing can be a difficult task. Nonetheless, good going so far guys! :cheers

The Rock

County Cricketer
Ahad's graphics and User's writing = The best thing that could ever happen in this section.

Lanka gonna win this for sure. Cant see Afghanistan pull out a shocker now that Malinga is looking quite deadly.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I'm not sure if User is doing graphics at all but it would be good to see some technologies used (like hotspot or hawkeye) like User's stories always have. Would be great if Ahad can try doing some work on a hawk eye too because his graphics work has been tremendous so far. It's a different thing if you guys are planning to do this very simple and do the basic graphics because doing a long tournament along with good graphics and writing can be a difficult task. Nonetheless, good going so far guys!

Yeah, no graphics for me at all. Ahad has been brilliant with those so, I thought I'll take care of the writing. And, yeah we are planning to keep this simple for the round matches plus super eights. For semis and the final, I am sure we will do those matches completely to give readers a perfect ending. As you said, it is a long tournament, and our basic goal is to complete this story as there aren't many which are completed. So, basics is what we will have. :)

Pakistani Army

Panel of Selectors
It is very hard for Afghanistan to attain a victory now. Although, all hope is not lost. Malinga should be saving his final over for the death, therefore the Afghani batsman must rotate the strike for the next seven overs, and still be three down by that stage. By then, they can/will be able to assess as to how to go about the remaining runs.

The game has not gone fully out of their grasp, but it is still a tall order. C'MON AFGHANISTAN! :thumbs

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
star_cricket.jpg

ICC World Twenty20 - UAE 2012
Match 1 - Group C
Sri Lanka v Afghanistan
Live from Sharjah

Frustration for Lanka as partnership gets going!
To the surprise of many, Lasith Malinga was bowled out by skipper Dilshan. But, that proved to be a good decision as Malinga removed Afghanistan captain Mangal cheaply. It was once again Chandimal without the gloves who took an easy catch. Nowroz Mangal was disappointed as he left the field. The ball just bounced a bit too high on him and he couldn't control his shot. It was in the air and Chandimal made no mistake. Afghanistan were reeling at 35 for 4. In came Asghar Stanikzai...

image12oqj.jpg

With Mohammad Shahzad holding one end, it was Stanikzai who came in and hit a couple of boundaries. Shahzad was going pretty well himself. Both were watchful and didn't want to throw their wickets away. It was pretty clear that the Lankans were frustrated. There were a few words exchanged between the batsmen and the opposition bowlers. But, Afghan batsmen weren't too bothered. They went about their business smoothly. Stanikzai did get a bit bogged down as he couldn't find the middle of his bat but, it was Shahzad then who played some wonderful shots. He moved onto 41 runs from as many deliveries. Stanikzai is not out on 19 of 21.

The 5th wicket partnership is 57 runs and has come at a good rate. Can these two batsmen take their team over the line? Find out next!

image13cx.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------

AFG 92/4 (15)

A Stanikzai* 19 (21) (2X4)
M Shahzad 41 (41) (2X4) (1X6)

L Malinga 3-16 (4)

Afghanistan need 54 more runs to win.

Graphics by Ahad, Writing by User2010

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Posted via Mobile Device

Its difficult but surely they can

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
i think sirilanka will win they still got handy ballers on the lineups:yes

Pakistani Army

Panel of Selectors
With the required run rate now at 10.80 runs per over, and with Lasith Malinga not going to bowl his final over in-between this, i feel that an Afghanistan victory is still in reach.

However, one good over for each team could seal the fate. Afghanistan have kept wickets in hand, so they can afford to play their shots. They will have to target one over in which they should try to attain 15+ runs. Both Shahzad and Stanikzai are set, but i still feel they may end up 10-12 runs short. I hope Afghanistan can prove me wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread