India Team Discussion

lion100lion

International Coach
Why ? What exactly is the logic behind this ? I genuinely want to know

I don't see why a player like Kohli should be warming the seat instead of being out in the middle controlling the game.
Listen carefully to what Sunil Gavaskar say in this video (from 4:54 onwards)

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
The only reason for Kohli batting at number 4 is because MSD wants his most experienced players to bat at 4,5, and 6. So he wants Kohli, Raina and himself to bat those positions. My only concern with that strategy is that I feel our best player should face the most deliveries. That is the reason I want Kohli to bat at number 3. However, if they want to continue with the strategy of Virat batting at 4, once Rohit comes back and if they really want Shikhar Dhawan in the team, they should bat Dhawan at number 3. Open with Rohit and Rahane and have Shikhar at 3 so you are not really exposing him to the new ball. Just an idea but I don't think they are going to do it.

lion100lion

International Coach
Virat batting at 4, once Rohit comes back and if they really want Shikhar Dhawan in the team, they should bat Dhawan at number 3. Open with Rohit and Rahane and have Shikhar at 3 so you are not really exposing him to the new ball. Just an idea but I don't think they are going to do it.
yeah.. that's a nice idea.... Dhawan at no.3

themusketeer

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Can You update this as a Cover Cover Pic of this thread . :) @ChaitS

148245.png

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
After the tri-series, Binny's selection now doesn't look all that bad. I won't be surprised if Binny is selected for the first game vs Pakistan. I also like the idea of Dhawan batting one down (No.3). This would be my XI vs Pakistan:

Rohit
Rahane
Dhawan
Kohli
Dhoni
Raina
Binny
Jadeja
Ashwin
Bhuvi
Mohit (if Ishant is ruled out) or Shami

I know the XI above is filled with medium pacers than actual pacers, but I have no hopes in Yadav for ODI's and also I prefer Mohit over Shami because Shami has been very wayward. If Bhuvi passes unfit, then Shami should play instead of Kulkarni or Yadav or whoever.

PokerAce

Banned
After the tri-series, Binny's selection now doesn't look all that bad. I won't be surprised if Binny is selected for the first game vs Pakistan. I also like the idea of Dhawan batting one down (No.3). This would be my XI vs Pakistan:

Rohit
Rahane
Dhawan
Kohli
Dhoni
Raina
Binny
Jadeja
Ashwin
Bhuvi
Mohit (if Ishant is ruled out) or Shami

I know the XI above is filled with medium pacers than actual pacers, but I have no hopes in Yadav for ODI's and also I prefer Mohit over Shami because Shami has been very wayward. If Bhuvi passes unfit, then Shami should play instead of Kulkarni or Yadav or whoever.

I like the side with a few small changes. I would send Virat ahead of Dhawan. If India are off to a good start, one would want Kohli in ASAP, and even if there is a wobble and an early wicket, I would still expect Kohli to be able to better negotiate the new ball than Dhawan.

Also Axar could play ahead of Jadeja. Jadeja has looked flat anyway with the ball, while Axar has shown he can keep it tight and even knock off a few wickets. India are batting deep enough anyway, and I think we can afford to replace the Better batsman for the better bowler.

S

Satan666

Again probably the weAKEST reigning champions ever, absolutely no bowling whatsoever and an inept batting lineup heavily dependant on Virat, the fielding is sub par by international standards.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Wonder if Zaheer Khan is keeping himself fit and running. If Ishant Sharma and/or Bhuvi pass unfit for the WC, I believe it wont be a bad idea to bring in Zaheer as long as he is keeping himself fit and in rhythm. All he has to do is bowl 10 overs on a match day. Pretty sure he can handle it than bowl 20-30 odd overs a day in tests (across multiple days).

Mohit is a sure shot candidate to be retained.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Last I heard, Zaheer was struggling to gain match fitness for even Ranji Trophy games

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Bringing back Zaheer means we are going backwards. I would rather bring in Varun Aaron.

PokerAce

Banned
This WC has a weird feel to it. Suddenly from having a squad that almost picked itself, India finds itself in a position of confusion and with a squad far far from settled.

When India beat SL 5-0, a full strength SL at that just months ago, who would have believed that Inida would find itself in a position like this.

The bowlers have forgotten how to bowl, the batsmen have seemingly forgotten how to bat, and a guy who can at best do a bit of both, Binny, is now being seen as a masterstroke.

I think its fair to say that in Picking Ishant over Mohit the selectors have blundered and in leaving out an inform Yuvi, over Jadeja, who in the one outing he has had, only raised more questions on what he is doing in Australia, and whether he is fit enough to make any kind of a meaningful contribution at all.

I remember India going into WCs with weak teams, but never remember India going into a WC with an unsettled side. As the WC draws closer, the feeling that the wrong squad has been selected keeps growing. Still about a week to fix this.

Users who are viewing this thread