India tour of Australia Nov'20-Jan'21

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3

Obviously, we must praise all the guys on this trip but once the euphoria settles we must return to some pragmatism. It's a quality we lack as a country and a huge reason why people become so powerful in our cricket systems that no matter how much hue and cry is made about them, they are immovable.

Ishant Sharma, a senior pro and part of the India set up also had a fantastic start to his career from Australia and then he went into the wilderness for a good half a decade. We must recognise the skill set Siraj has and try to improve him while not typecasting him. It's a very tricky balance but that's the job of the team management. Very important to keep the heroes from today on earth.

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
how lifeless the bowling attack looked
Not all of our attack thanks Bevab. Cummins- outstanding, Hazlewood - relentless were the exceptions despite three of the four tracks not offering a lot of assistance for pace bowling. Unfortunately we needed our four pronged attack to stand up but Lyon and Starc underperformed.. diabolical at home, and the rookie Cam Green was only given minimal overs due to management workload following a long back injury.. so he fell short of reaching any sort of rythm. The West Aussie man mountain tho has huge potential with the ball.

Last edited:

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
From what I can see though, he does struggle sometimes to think clearly under pressure.
blockerdave:
his inability to handle the pressure situations affected his temper and then his keeping.

The short answer as to why that is: Paine's hi pressure dual captaincy/keeper role. You do know how many skipper/keepers there have been in the modern era. You can probably count them on one hand. Ask Adam Gilchrist how he coped in the few matches that he had both roles. Recall reading that it was a role he'd not relish on a full time basis.
Tim Paine has done it for over 3 years now. Some 30 consecutive Tests.. equates to 180 hours of almost total concentration. For this he is to be praised not derided.

The man is only 36. The stress of dual roles plus constant criticism is etched in an older looking, more tired face. Yet Tim will not throw in the towel and resign such is his passion for Test cricket and his nation.
1611104663881.png

Last edited:

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Ok, I now have had a full day to process this series and the victory yesterday. Here are some of my final thoughts in this thread.

India

1. Prithvi Shaw - He has to go back to domestic cricket. It is ok to see him dropped from the England series. He can go back and really work on his technique. He does possess some special talent, its only him and his mind can sought out any issue and come back strong.
  2. Mayank Agarwal - Had a wonderful last series and had a terrible this series. He like Shaw has things to work on but nothing major. He is less on confidence and a good innings will give him that. Unfortunate for him, he will not be playing in XI for the 1st English test.
  3. Shubman Gill - For his first series, he has played tremendously and has lived up to his domestic expectations. From the practice match he had looked good and has a super bright future in front of him. He has to keep calm and work hard on his batting. We will see more of his awesome batting in the future.
  4. Rohit Sharma - Having only played 2 test matches, he looked like himself. He is not going to change how he bats but has to be told to take up more responsibilities. Being the senior player, he has to understand how he has to incorporate his natural game while not disturbing the balance. He will definitely open in the home test so will score heavily I am expecting.
  5. Cheteshwar Pujara - Man of steel! He took so many body blows to protect India and was instrumental in giving us that win. I am short on words and I feel fortunate to have him in our team. Although he did not score compared to last series, he absorbed all the pressure which cannot be measured with any sort of stats.
  6. Ajinkya Rahane - His captaincy was instrumental and his century at Melbourne changed the fortunes but has to really grind it out and score more runs. I am hoping he can quickly get some runs under his belt.
  7. Rishabh Pant - This man has proved all the critics wrong and should not be questioned for a spot in India's any format lineup. The first inning score in Melbourne actually shifted some of the balance and tilted it towards India. He was like Puji instrumental in getting the win in Melbourne, draw in Sydney and win at Gabba. He must feel relaxed and proud. I saw him having tears when Shastri was congratulating him and shows how much it meant to him.
  8. Wridhimman Saha - Although he is in the team for English series, he looked mediocre in the first test.Cricket is all about having dynamic players and he is pretty one dimensional. His keeping is good and can play some good innings but is not someone who would change the game. I feel Pant has closed all doors of him coming back until Pant gets injured.
  9. Hanuma Vihari - Like Puji, not amongst runs and did look out of sorts until showing his class in Sydney. That defense show was top notch and reminded me of Amla, Faf innings. Hopefully he can recover and can get into some run scoring form.
  10. Ravi Ashwin - Another instrumental player for the win in Australia. His batting in Sydney and the spell in Melbourne helped us get the momentum. He is truly playing like a senior player and a fit Ashwin will rhopefully rip apart the English lineup.
  11. Ravindra Jadeja - A player who is now finally playing according to his reputation. Had a wondeful limited series and will only grow. He is tremendously imported for us to keep the right balance.
  12. Jasprit Bumrah - What a man he his! Truly our bowling leader and shows his charisma that way. Kept us in the game and got the wicket whenever we needed on.
  13. Mohammad Siraj - What a debut series! After the personal tragedy he faced, he has shown some nice character. I was a bit skeptical of him before the series but he has proved me wrong. He definitely is part of our awesome bowling strength. Ending up being the best of the Indian bowler is such a fine testament to his sheer dedication.
  14. Navdeep Saini - I feel he still needs a little time. He will have his moment but for now he is a grade below Siraj, Ishant, Shami, Bumrah.
  15. Nattu - Like Saini, he has a bright future but still has some time for his moment to come.
  16. Washington Sundar - Was skeptical for his inclusion in the XI but boy oh boy he has proved me wrong. He looked so calm and composed during his batting. Facing Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood in your debut on a ground that was hyped to be their fortress and scoring a 50 and rescuing India. Top notch stuff. His bowling too looked on point and looked as if he knew what he was doing. He has given India a nice depth in the spinning all rounder option.
  17. Shardul Thakur - Looked good but still not convinced with his bowling. He along with Saini, Nattu can form A teams premier bowling lineup.
  18. Virat Kohli - Looked like himself during his 74 and will be back fresh and raring to go. Expecting a lot of runs from him.
  19. Shami/Yadav - Did not play much but hopefully they can find their rhythm back.

Wow, we played 20 players in this series. Was an amazing one. Kudos to Ravi Shastri and B Arun as well for keeping these guys motivated and helping them throughout this tough series. This team will do wonders in away tests hopefully. Heres to an awesome series. Australia will have to dig deep and figure out what their next steps will be. Paine looked like a clueless captain. Starc and Lyon are horribly out of form, openers are a mess. Paine's batting although was still better compared to Wade. I see Wade getting dropped.

Thank you everyone on this thread for making this series entertaining with some amazing reverse jinxing, discussions and insights. Onto the next test for Indian team and hoping we win the English series as well and go play the WTC finals at Lords with New Zealand.

Last edited:

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Not all of our attack thanks Bevab. Cummins- outstanding, Hazlewood - relentless were the exceptions despite three of the four tracks not offering a lot of assistance for pace bowling. Unfortunately we needed our four pronged attack to stand up but Lyon and Starc underperformed.. diabolical at home, and the rookie Cam Green was only given minimal overs due to management workload following a long back injury.. so he fell short of reaching any sort of rythm. The West Aussie man mountain tho has huge potential with the ball.

Was talking about the previous series in my post Richie, Lyon last time.

As for this series, it is understandable that Green was underbowled given how he barely had any sort of domestic preparation since modifying his action following injury. Lyon is the big time disappointment in my eyes, he was the match-winner in the Perth test last time as the only spinner in both sides on a pace friendly pitch but has barely made the last two days his own this time, something that is his trademark. You know what you get with Starc and I think he needs a bit of pressure on his spot to ensure that his standards don't slip. Wonder why Neser and Abbott were not given a game, could have helped with the complacency. Even Swepson could have been worth it as an outside shout.

B

Bigby Wolf

Obviously, we must praise all the guys on this trip but once the euphoria settles we must return to some pragmatism. It's a quality we lack as a country and a huge reason why people become so powerful in our cricket systems that no matter how much hue and cry is made about them, they are immovable.

Ishant Sharma, a senior pro and part of the India set up also had a fantastic start to his career from Australia and then he went into the wilderness for a good half a decade. We must recognise the skill set Siraj has and try to improve him while not typecasting him. It's a very tricky balance but that's the job of the team management. Very important to keep the heroes from today on earth.
Ishant Sharma only ? There are like 10 others in the past who had a fantastic start to the careers but suddenly disappeared or hidden to wilderness after a series or two or never really performed consistently after that.

But heck times have changed , eras have changed we are no longer into the 90s or 2000s. The article clearly highlights the fact about the role Bharat Arun had not only over Siraj but the other crop of fast bowlers as well.

Lets take an example of past Ishant Sharma - how old was he when picked for the National side ? 18 in 2007 when he made his debut against Bangladesh. Selection Criteria - Young Prodigy who can clock 90 mph. He performed well though in his first 1 year or so , that spell to Ponting is still vividly remembered but what followed was a steep decline which made the tall lanky fast bowler looked an average medium pacers who struggled until 2015 only to comeback as they call Ishant 2.0 after that.

Another example is Irfan Pathan - drafted into the squad on the bank of 9 wicket haul against Bangladesh U19 and was straight away fast tracked into the senior squad playing in Australia a month later. Sure he had his time which lasted like 2 years the post 2007 Pathan was someone else. (One can argue about Chappell , injuries etc.)

India as a cricketing nation lacked fast bowlers for years so whenever we see some exciting prospect coming up the whole nation has their eyeballs on them but fortunately we now have a system that is much more stable and structured.
If this was 2008 , I am pretty sure that Young Karthik Tyagi would have made his debut or someone like an Ishan Porel or other U19 guys would have been on the fringes now.

The likes of Siraj or Thakur or Saini etc. have toiled for years on the domestic system (Ranjis ,A Tours etc.) so the talent they possess is only nurtured by the skill set they developed by playing for years in the domestic also establishing a mental temperament which helps them perform at the highest level which also bridges down the gap between International & First Class cricket to some extent as well.

The fitness level these guys have today is top notch never ever in Indian cricketing history we had a such a long crop of bowlers.In the past a breakdown of a fast bowler meant they were hardly the same bowler ever again.
Mohammed Shami had a knee surgery back in 2015 missed cricket for a year but what a comeback he made from there on again if this was 2000s that would have been end of Shami or he would have been half the bowler after the comeback.

The NCA in Bengaluru looks after the bowlers - their Rehabilitation is done and their fitness level is closely monitored.

So unlike previously where our fast bowlers used to fade away after couple of seasons it is highly unlikely happen to the current crop maybe a couple of cases will come but due to the strong setup which has been established & the NCA - these fast bowlers are taken care of better then ever which is big positive sign for Indian cricket.

At the moment they deserve every praise for their historic achievement down under.Only time will tell how future shapes up for these guys and how much success they can achieve in the future years.

Last edited by a moderator:

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
inability to handle the pressure situations affected his temper and then his keeping.

India have lost only one test match at home under Virat's captaincy. It is not that easy. ;)
I agree wont be easy. We did, however, get closer in 2017. I believe we will have a stronger side in 2022 with a more mature Will Pucovski and Cam Green in the top 6. I also believe our Top 4 will be stronger..hopefully with an emerging new opening pair. We will have a superior keeper to Wade and a better captain than Smith.
Post automatically merged:

Sorry bout that. But why are you talking about the last series.

RichieBGM

Associate Captain

As for this series, it is understandable that Green was underbowled given how he barely had any sort of domestic preparation since modifying his action following injury. Lyon is the big time disappointment in my eyes, he was the match-winner in the Perth test last time as the only spinner in both sides on a pace friendly pitch but has barely made the last two days his own this time, something that is his trademark. You know what you get with Starc and I think he needs a bit of pressure on his spot to ensure that his standards don't slip. Wonder why Neser and Abbott were not given a game, could have helped with the complacency. Even Swepson could have been worth it as an outside shout.
Lyon has often been a disappointment to me too. I not longer let it get me down as CA wont drop him now. Full praise for reaching the 100 test milestone but to be brutally honest had someone better come along after his 2011 debut he'd never played even 50 matches. For instance if Ashton Agar had have been persevered with after his 2013 Ashes debut he may be the one celebrating the milestone not Nathan. Neser can consider himself the most unlucky bowler in Australia.. perhaps he and Jackson Bird can duke it out as the most unlucky of the two. What we get with Starc is inconsistency.. since his debut also in 2011 he has only played 61 tests. I believe he has been retained as he provides balance to the attack being a leftie. Unfortunately tall lefties that swing it at pace dont grow on trees. I rate Mitchell Johnson over Starc.. but other than a few good series he was also inconsistent. But he did win us the 2014/15 Ashes. Dont ever recall Starc bowling us to victory.

Last edited:

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
could have helped with the complacency.
We think similar Bevab. I too reckon some complacency crept in after that infamous and grossly embarrassing 36 capitulation in Adelaide. As it turned out it had the opposite effect..it galvanized you Indians. We should have woken up when you bounced back in Melbourne. By then you guys were gobbling up the momentum we had lost. But to maintain your hi standard of play while your guys were falling like nine pins took great courage and character. Your rookies played like seasoned pros which shocked us a bit.

This was a series Australia had to lose. If that makes sense. I say this as it has given Test cricket a shot in the arm.. specially in India and hopefully the rest of the sub continent. It shows us pure cricket tragics that Test cricket not only continues to entertain but unlike white ball cricket it also excites the senses, gets the competitive juices flowing and the nerve ends jangling. As it is played over five days it is a true test of character, technique, patience, ability, endurance ..etc. The reason someone first called it TEST cricket.

I suspect there were members of the ICC watching this thrilling advertisement for Test cricket. Along with the MCC.. as the custodians of out game it is up to them to nurture more nations into playing Test cricket. At my last look there were something like 120 nations playing some form of cricket. To only have 12 Test playing nations seems all rather pointless if we want to grow our game globally and ensure the survival of Test cricket.

Last edited:

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Full praise for reaching the 100 test milestone
Spare a thought for the bloke. It's a milestone Test for him and that too at Gabba. Surely, he would have envisioned a completely different outcome than what transpired. Gotta feel for him.

B

Bigby Wolf

Thank you everyone on this thread for making this series entertaining with some amazing reverse jinxing, discussions and insights. Onto the next test for Indian team and hoping we win the English series as well and go play the WTC finals at Lords with New Zealand.
LOL.

Somehow I feel Pant will fail today.

Next 1 hour very very crucial for both the teams , India might just throw it away.
giphy.gif

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I for one didn't find anything wrong with what he said. I think it's important we realise that we don't over sterilise our sport and allow people to express themselves.

Just feel a bit of an issue was made about this unnecessarily and I've actually seen a lot of other drama in India-OZ series.
I think the issue is being made about this because Tim Paine said that with such confidence that Australia was certainly gonna win there.

Users who are viewing this thread