India tour of South Africa - 2013/14

scratch978

Club Captain
  • Though Kallis' ton was the highlight of the session but what I feel is that South Africa have not managed to run away with the game.
  • Dhoni persisted with the old ball and that seems to have had some effect on the scoring rate. That's why, the run-rate was less than 3 despite taking the lead.
  • And Jadeja ?
    He bowled 18 out of the 35.1 overs bowled in the session. That is unchanged through the entire two and a half hour session!
    He was the marathon man for India. Isn't he? :)

Last edited:

aditya123

National Board President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
This is disgraceful tactics from MS Dhoni. The moment they stepped onto the wicket today, its been clear that he does`nt want to take wickets and make a move. Absolutely negative tactics from him. I don`t think Clarke would`ve done this with whatever bowling resources he would have had in hand. Smith is`nt far too better as well and that is why the game has`nt moved ahead at all.

What Dhoni has forgotten here is that irrespective of how slowly SA score here they still lead by 60 runs and whenever India come out they can only save this game if they are safely ahead of SA. With these negative tactics we deserve to lose here. I`m rooting for a SA win here due to these disgraceful tactics.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
I don`t think there can be a better example than Kallis. He had so much workload with both bat and ball and still attaches a lot of value to the World Cup. Pujara is just in his early 20s and surely now is the time for him to be playing both formats. You might think otherwise but for most international cricket teams would have an eye on the World Cup in the coming 12 months or so. I don`t think it would affect Pujara`s test prospects if he were to be blooded into the ODI setup. It helped Dravid and Tendulkar become a better players overall. A good test player actually can feed off ODI success.

Giving up one format and continuing to play the other clearly shows that it could be the other way around if Kallis wanted to (retiring from ODIs and keeping going with Tests), but since basically he has achieved all there is to achieve in Tests, the only thing to keep him going within cricket is the ODI WC, and he obviously feels that he can still offer something for South Africa, or else he would've just retired from international cricket altogether.

This is disgraceful tactics from MS Dhoni. The moment they stepped onto the wicket today, its been clear that he does`nt want to take wickets and make a move. Absolutely negative tactics from him. I don`t think Clarke would`ve done this with whatever bowling resources he would have had in hand. Smith is`nt far too better as well and that is why the game has`nt moved ahead at all.

What Dhoni has forgotten here is that irrespective of how slowly SA score here they still lead by 60 runs and whenever India come out they can only save this game if they are safely ahead of SA. With these negative tactics we deserve to lose here. I`m rooting for a SA win here due to these disgraceful tactics.

We must be watching this Test through different eyes because if anyone has been disgraceful with their tactics, it's been South Africa.

aditya123

National Board President
We must be watching this Test through different eyes because if anyone has been disgraceful with their tactics, it's been South Africa.

Dhoni is the one who could still have tried to pick up quick wickets in the morning session with the new ball under overcast skies. He continued with the dead old ball, just content to not pick up wickets. I`m sorry to say that its downright negative. I never said that SA have been very inventive either. Both ways its been dull test cricket today.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Taking the new ball would've seen SA be in the region of 500 right now, the ball at it's newest in this Test match has been the least effective, cloud cover or not, and there's still turn and reverse swing on offer with this 'dead ball', think it was Robin Peterson, struck lbw off Zaheer reversing in, but wasn't given.

Last edited:

aditya123

National Board President
Taking the new ball would've seen SA be in the region of 500 right now, the ball at it's newest in this Test match has been the least effective, cloud cover or not, and there's still turn and reverse swing on offer with this 'dead ball', think it was Robin Peterson, struck lbw off Zaheer reversing in, but wasn't given.

Just watch the cricket after lunch. Do you really think we are managing to keep things tight with this old ball? It would be more feasible to keep the lead down by trying to bowl the opposition out. Sadly, Dhoni does`nt think that way.

scratch978

Club Captain
The only difference between SA and India is that India don't have the likes of Steyn, Philander or Morkel. (considering their speed(140+) with both swings)
Only Shami could impress me, otherwise I don't even like to call Ishant, Bhuvi and Zak, a fast bowler.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Just watch the cricket after lunch. Do you really think we are managing to keep things tight with this old ball? It would be more feasible to keep the lead down by trying to bowl the opposition out. Sadly, Dhoni does`nt think that way.

If I was supposed to watch this new ball race off to the boundary, that's been done. :rolleyes

scratch978

Club Captain
Dhoni is the one who could still have tried to pick up quick wickets in the morning session with the new ball under overcast skies. He continued with the dead old ball, just content to not pick up wickets.

Dhoni was trying hard to make the new ball get old, to get the reverse swing and pick up wickets(though they weren't lucky). Now tell me, how could he have taken the new ball ?
And you can see that except that one Lbw appeal, nothing has been so impressive about the new ball......

aditya123

National Board President
If I was supposed to watch this new ball race off to the boundary, that's been done. :rolleyes

Its a lot about intent mate. Taking the new ball first thing in the morning with the opposition still trailing is not the same as taking it 40 overs into the day and the opposition already 70 ahead. If you don`t show intent in test cricket, there is no way you`ll achieve good results.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Dhoni didn't exactly take it, was forced to I believe.

Anyway, I still haven't seen enough conventional swing with the new ball (couple of balls swung the very first over with it) to tell me that Dhoni made a mistake not going for it in the morning session, and actually there's been more cloud cover now than this morning, like I said, the ball at it's newest has been the worst period for the bowling side right through this Test.

Last edited:

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Its a lot about intent mate. Taking the new ball first thing in the morning with the opposition still trailing is not the same as taking it 40 overs into the day and the opposition already 70 ahead. If you don`t show intent in test cricket, there is no way you`ll achieve good results.

His plans were very clear to put pressure with Jadeja? Probably, a calculation of 5 sessions left with optimistic view if you take out the rain in 2 days.:) But yeah it's crazy.

Now, its time to test our batsmen. Just hope they play a normal cricket to get past the lead without negative defensive tactics & to keep building the momentum.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
India has to unearth some quality bowlers to become a good Test team. They have the batting end of things lined up but it won't help them much unless they find bowlers who can get 20 wkts in a match away from home.

With a better bowling lineup India would potentially have been looking at a series win in SA but are battling to draw out the series owing to lack of quality pacers.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
What the fearsome tweak was that Dhawan? After fighting so hard, he just threw it away.

Users who are viewing this thread