It's just not cricket

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Yea but not every nation has the money/power to pull players away from their country, potentially that is.
The irony is that BCCI pulled away from the rest of the world in terms of being profitable by playing hundreds of ODI's in the late 90's and early 2000's, when the rest of the world was trying to revive Test cricket.

As it happened, all it took to revive Test cricket were a couple of good series (Australia in India 2001, India in Australia 2003 and Australia in England 2005). We're seeing the same situation now where everyone is complaining about Twenty20 and trying madly to stick to Test Cricket. The BCCI is once again raking in the moolah and will be inevitably at the top of the food chain when Test cricket goes into its trough (since at the moment Test cricket, I'd say, is pretty much at its peak in terms of audience interest).

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Show me pictures of the final!

Just have a look at this thread: indian only viewed IPL - Cricket Web

All posted by an Indian member too. They actually have some sense over there at CricketWeb.

Jakester1288 added 4 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

It's a waste of time.
Only the Indians like it.
It's a money grabbing scheme.
It only causes injuries.
It's not entertainment.

All False Statements made by a 13 or 14 year old Australian boy

Well tomorrow if you're given a contract from some IPL franchisee will you ignore it?I want an honest reply...
Hmm,...you call it a money grabbing scheme but many of your Australian Cricketers prefer it and even appreciate.I guess Shane Warne appreciated it recently and he's got a much better Cricketing mind than yours.
Only causes injuries!This is a very immature comment...I think you should've thought a hundred times before saying this..
You say only the Indians like it!Strange we've got audiences from the Carribean and South Africa.Do only Aussies and English rule World Cricket?
It's not entertainment....Well you're one piece from the millions who do not enjoy this,so comments for you mate.I'll say grow up

What's wrong or so special about me being 13?

If I got the offer, at this point in time (or a few years, or whatever), I'd take it. I ain't exactly rich or anything, good money in it. But, if I was preparing for the Ashes, playing International cricket with a Cricket Australia contract, then I wouldn't take it.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors

All posted by an Indian member too. They actually have some sense over there at CricketWeb.

If they make so sense up there then why bother coming here?

And for god sake its IPL with India in it not International. Who cares about rating in World. BCCI did not get rich by world audience watching Indian cricket. It got rich by Indian publics interest in game.

King Cricket

International Coach
The IPL committee has recently made it clear in a press release that it will not allow a player to play in the IPL if he skips any approved FTP event and instead opts to play for a franchise in this league. Also, now all the players need a "No Objection" certificate from their respective cricket boards if they want to be a part of the IPL.

IPL says all players now need no objection certificate from home board: India Today - Latest Breaking News from India, World, Business, Cricket, Sports, Bollywood.

A step in the right direction.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
A comment from a website that talked about how viewership across the world for the IPL came down from the first season

"The Indian market showed a massive 96% of viewership for the IPL. Considering that India is such a huge market, its not necessary for the IPL to be successful in other places."

SO TRUE! The IPL earns big money from the Indian market. And also, the effect that the IPL has on the Indian market, its repurcussions will be heard everywhere else in the world. Just as in "if you drop a bomb in Mumbai, it will be talked throughout the world".

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
A comment from a website that talked about how viewership across the world for the IPL came down from the first season

"The Indian market showed a massive 96% of viewership for the IPL. Considering that India is such a huge market, its not necessary for the IPL to be successful in other places."

SO TRUE! The IPL earns big money from the Indian market. And also, the effect that the IPL has on the Indian market, its repurcussions will be heard everywhere else in the world. Just as in "if you drop a bomb in Mumbai, it will be talked throughout the world".

Ratings fell 20%, and 96% of the viewers were from India.

It's hardly as popular as people make it out to be.

Gurjot95

National Board President
Still can't understand the fact that why people bother to watch if they dont like it and that's why it is called Indian Premier League so you expect it to become popular in other countries than India?

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Ratings fell 20%, and 96% of the viewers were from India.

It's hardly as popular as people make it out to be.

Who gives?

It's not going anywhere. Deal with it.

I like the IPL. I don't like the insane amount of games, but whatever. They've just made the NOC official so I don't see why there are so many problems.

I'm seriously getting tired of all the T20 hate. I don't like it that much either, but get a grip and stop whining already.

P

pcfan123

the NOC was a good move the BCCI.

My only problem with the IPL (and other domestics should they become so lucrative) is that they might change players priorities from International cricket to club cricket.

ICC just give us a bloody IPL window and please put a cap on how many games will be played, I read that the IPL 3 will now have 90 odd games!

OffCutters

International Coach
the NOC was a good move the BCCI.

My only problem with the IPL (and other domestics should they become so lucrative) is that they might change players priorities from International cricket to club cricket.

ICC just give us a bloody IPL window and please put a cap on how many games will be played, I read that the IPL 3 will now have 90 odd games!

That better be feckin not true, it`ll just ruin cricket. As if the amount of T20 going on now isnt bad enough.

P

pcfan123

never mind thats in 2011

AFP: India's IPL to be expanded from 2011

The tournament will be expanded to 10 teams from 2011, IPL commissioner Lalit Modi was quoted as saying by the Press Trust of India (PTI).

"There will be 94 games in all with each franchise playing 18 preliminary matches, instead of 14 games as in the past," PTI quoted Modi as saying in reference to the 2011 edition.

shubhrayu

International Coach

Jakester1288 added 4 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

What's wrong or so special about me being 13?

If I got the offer, at this point in time (or a few years, or whatever), I'd take it. I ain't exactly rich or anything, good money in it. But, if I was preparing for the Ashes, playing International cricket with a Cricket Australia contract, then I wouldn't take it.

Nothing wrong about you being 13 Mate...The thing is that your comments are immature

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
The IPL committee has recently made it clear in a press release that it will not allow a player to play in the IPL if he skips any approved FTP event and instead opts to play for a franchise in this league. Also, now all the players need a "No Objection" certificate from their respective cricket boards if they want to be a part of the IPL.

IPL says all players now need no objection certificate from home board: India Today - Latest Breaking News from India, World, Business, Cricket, Sports, Bollywood.

A step in the right direction.

Good news. But why was the Australian tour of NZ shortend to two test matches then?

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Good news. But why was the Australian tour of NZ shortend to two test matches then?

Ask CA or NZ Board.

Now there is no ICL even where NZ cricketers can go. Rather than blaming IPL why don't you talk about your players and board.

Users who are viewing this thread