Mouseydread's Cricket 19 Creations

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
When Giants walked the earth!

Love that @gleeso73 I've learned so much more since researching more thoroughly that I may have to buy some books on this era. I learned that there was a real sectarian thing going on and the politics around the Don at the time are intesting, but most of all it is the characters like Archie Jackson who I'd heard about but not looked into. They have come alive on this edition.

With that said, I have uploaded Australia 1920s.

With this squad, I have kept faith with @gleeso73 bases, but have perked them up and adjusted some stats and heights where I could find them but they have as always been within an inch of accuracy from @gleeso73 anyway!

So with this team the dynamic captain Bill Woodfull will lead this squad of 18 players. Woodfull is remembered for being Australia's captain during bodyline. Woodfull as well as his usual opening partner Bill Ponsford could have joined the 30s squad, but the decision was made to keep Bill Brown and Jack Fingleton together in the 30s squad as they usually played togethcer.

So there is it, Australia 1920 will open with the sturdy quick footed Bill Ponsford and captain Bill Woodfull. The "Two Bills" are a great combination of Bill Ponsford being the more attractive run machine, and Bill Woodfull known as the "Rock" being the patient deflector with a strong defence.

At three is the patient Herbie Collins, a shrewd operator has unlimited patience, and is the vice captain here. At four is the attacking Victorian, Jack Ryder. Ryder one of the elder players in the squad, can not only score quick runs, but is a good fielder and useful with the ball.

At five is the quick footed, traditionalist batsman, Alan Kippax. Kippax is exciting and will delight the crowds as he gets to the pitch of the ball very quickly against spinner or pacer. At six is the charismatic, Vic Richardson, Vic's cricket is adventurous and he adds great value in the field, being able to field with equal brilliance in many positions. It may be that his adventorous side will get the better of him in cricket 19. What we do know is that his genetics went onto produce two Test Playing Grandsons in Ian and Greg Chappell.

At 7 is the feline, neat, Bert Oldfield. Oldfield is a master at his position and another who played in the "BodyLine" series and his experience will count in Cricket 19. Following Oldfield out of the Pavillion at 8 is another master, Clarrie Grimmett. Clarrie is the craggy faced, balding but accurate leg spinner whose Top Spinners and Googly's are going to trouble any batsman, any era.

At 9 is one of the fastest bowlers of the strong allrounder Jack Gregory. Jack will take the new ball and work with Ted McDonald to frighten batsmen into submission. Jack has an away swinger and can crank up the speed to give it even more. He also can use the bat with his thunderous driving and is an excellent slipper.

At 10 is Arthur Mailey, another excellent spinner, who can spin the ball prodigiously, and will give it some air to "buy" his wickets. Mailey is one of the elder statement of the team and wil be relied on for his wit and experience.

At 11 is Ted McDonald. McDonald is a man of few words who will raise his game if he sees the opposition "top boy" in. Then you will see his pace generated off a rythymical run to deliver line and length and movement both ways. Ted is one of the senior pros but a calm individual who Bill Woodfull will get the most out of.

In reserve the squad has talent to spare in the heavy set slow moving, veteran, Bert Ironmonger who but for his poor batting and fielding could make the side, but what a bowler! Then there is the polished batsman, the one time schoolboy prodigy, Johnny Taylor. Taylor could do it all with strokeplay off the backfoot, an excellent fielder at cover, fast and a strong thrower. In a one day game, Johnny Taylor is the man.

To complete the sqaud, Veteran, Clarence "Nip" Pellew is man who can drive hard and straight, and is a good man in the field especially with his speed around the boundary edge. Tall, bespetacled, Arthur Richardson is another of the senior batsmen, primarily an opening bat and medium pace off break bowler, Richardson has a powerful drive and will be a decent replacement on a tour if one of the other openers fails, but with Woodfull and Ponsford at the top of the order that is highly unlikely.

Another veteran is , Ron Oxenham. Oxenham is the allrounder from Queensland who is a much better batsmen than he looks and his medium pace bowling does have an interesting slow ball. Oxenham is also a good slip catcher. Thickset Tommy Andrews is a stylist who takes a time to settle but once he gets going watch out! As a fielder he is the boss close up.

Another who will get some time in on a tour even if it is delight the crowds. In a one day game he could replace the more slow scoring Herbert Collins. Finally but not least to round out the squad, we have the tall Queenslander, Percy Hornibrook. Percy is a crafty left arm medium pacer who could spin it too.

Big thanks to @gleeso73. I did this era side on "Ashes" but didn't use them, however I loved @gleeso73 version on Cricket 19 so that inspired me to do my own set. I will take the same approach with @gleeso73 1910s and 1900s squad and move back to the 80s, 90s,00s and 2010s which are much easier as once again the bases are already there.

So thanks to all the logo, kit, uniform, bat, stadium makers!

Enjoy

Last edited:

gleeso73

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
When Giants walked the earth!

Love that @gleeso73 I've learned so much more since researching more thoroughly that I may have to buy some books on this era. I learned that there was a real sectarian thing going on and the politics around the Don at the time are intesting, but most of all it is the characters like Archie Jackson who I'd heard about but not looked into. They have come alive on this edition.

With that said, I have uploaded Australia 1920s.

With this squad, I have kept faith with @gleeso73 bases, but have perked them up and adjusted some stats and heights where I could find them but they have as always been within an inch of accuracy from @gleeso73 anyway!

So with this team the dynamic captain Bill Woodfull will lead this squad of 18 players. Woodfull is remembered for being Australia's captain during bodyline. Woodfull as well as his usual opening partner Bill Ponsford could have joined the 30s squad, but the decision was made to keep Bill Brown and Jack Fingleton together in the 30s squad as they usually played togethcer.

So there is it, Australia 1920 will open with the sturdy quick footed Bill Ponsford and captain Bill Woodfull. The "Two Bills" are a great combination of Bill Ponsford being the more attractive run machine, and Bill Woodfull known as the "Rock" being the patient deflector with a strong defence.

At three is the patient Herbie Collins, a shrewd operator has unlimited patience, and is the vice captain here. At four is the attacking Victorian, Jack Ryder. Ryder one of the elder players in the squad, can not only score quick runs, but is a good fielder and useful with the ball.

At five is the quick footed, traditionalist batsman, Alan Kippax. Kippax is exciting and will delight the crowds as he gets to the pitch of the ball very quickly against spinner or pacer. At six is the charismatic, Vic Richardson, Vic's cricket is adventurous and he adds great value in the field, being able to field with equal brilliance in many positions. It may be that his adventorous side will get the better of him in cricket 19. What we do know is that his genetics went onto produce two Test Playing Grandsons in Ian and Greg Chappell.

At 7 is the feline, neat, Bert Oldfield. Oldfield is a master at his position and another who played in the "BodyLine" series and his experience will count in Cricket 19. Following Oldfield out of the Pavillion at 8 is another master, Clarrie Grimmett. Clarrie is the craggy faced, balding but accurate leg spinner whose Top Spinners and Googly's are going to trouble any batsman, any era.

At 9 is one of the fastest bowlers of the strong allrounder Jack Gregory. Jack will take the new ball and work with Ted McDonald to frighten batsmen into submission. Jack has an away swinger and can crank up the speed to give it even more. He also can use the bat with his thunderous driving and is an excellent slipper.

At 10 is Arthur Mailey, another excellent spinner, who can spin the ball prodigiously, and will give it some air to "buy" his wickets. Mailey is one of the elder statement of the team and wil be relied on for his wit and experience.

At 11 is Ted McDonald. McDonald is a man of few words who will raise his game if he sees the opposition "top boy" in. Then you will see his pace generated off a rythymical run to deliver line and length and movement both ways. Ted is one of the senior pros but a calm individual who Bill Woodfull will get the most out of.

In reserve the squad has talent to spare in the heavy set slow moving, veteran, Bert Ironmonger who but for his poor batting and fielding could make the side, but what a bowler! Then there is the polished batsman, the one time schoolboy prodigy, Johnny Taylor. Taylor could do it all with strokeplay off the backfoot, an excellent fielder at cover, fast and a strong thrower. In a one day game, Johnny Taylor is the man.

To complete the sqaud, Veteran, Clarence "Nip" Pellew is man who can drive hard and straight, and is a good man in the field especially with his speed around the boundary edge. Tall, bespetacled, Arthur Richardson is another of the senior batsmen, primarily an opening bat and medium pace off break bowler, Richardson has a powerful drive and will be a decent replacement on a tour if one of the other openers fails, but with Woodfull and Ponsford at the top of the order that is highly unlikely.

Another veteran is , Ron Oxenham. Oxenham is the allrounder from Queensland who is a much better batsmen than he looks and his medium pace bowling does have an interesting slow ball. Oxenham is also a good slip catcher. Thickset Tommy Andrews is a stylist who takes a time to settle but once he gets going watch out! As a fielder he is the boss close up.

Another who will get some time in on a tour even if it is delight the crowds. In a one day game he could replace the more slow scoring Herbert Collins. Finally but not least to round out the squad, we have the tall Queenslander, Percy Hornibrook. Percy is a crafty left arm medium pacer who could spin it too.

Big thanks to @gleeso73. I did this era side on "Ashes" but didn't use them, however I loved @gleeso73 version on Cricket 19 so that inspired me to do my own set. I will take the same approach with @gleeso73 1910s and 1900s squad and move back to the 80s, 90s,00s and 2010s which are much easier as once again the bases are already there.

So thanks to all the logo, kit, uniform, bat, stadium makers!

Enjoy

Yes, the sectarian problems within such a great team was very sad to read about. The divide seemed to be mainly driven by Bill O’Reilly and Jack Fingleton who were Irish Roman Catholic, particularly O’Reilly who seemed to hate anyone who was Freemason Protestant including Bradman and Bert Oldfield.

When you add the class politics of the England team at the time (amateur/professional, north/south)...it’s a fascinating era.

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
Uploaded Australia 1910s. Another big nod to @gleeso73 as I have used many of his bases and created just a few of my own to complete this squad of 16. There are quite a few here who took part in the 1912 Triangular Series with South Africa and England.

With great captains, Syd Gregory and Warwick Armstring in the 1900s squad and World War 1 curtaling affairs, it was hard to choose a captain. However in the end the choice to captain went to Edgar Mayne. Mayne. Out of all of the squad, he was the one with captaincy material as he captained South Australia and Victoria in his career.

Edgar Mayne, a fluent stroke maker will open the innings, with one of Australia's early hero's in Warren Bardsley. Bardsley is a stylist and will be relied on to get runs. At three is one of the toughest competitors in the history of Australian cricket in Charles Kelleway, a great man to have in the side. At 4 is the attractive left hander , Vernon Radford a master fielder. At 5 is the confident, little entertainer, "The Govenor General" Charlie Maccartney.

At 6 is the tanned, talented, leg spinner, Herber "Ranji" Horden. At 7 is the reliable Sammy Carter at keeper. At 8 is the talented allrounder Roy Minnett. At 9 is another very good leg spinner in Jimmy Matthews. Matthews is to my knowledge the only man to take a hatrick in both innings of a test match! What is even more incredible is the 3rd victim in both innings was the same player, South Africa's keeper, Tommy Ward. At 10 is the left arm fast Bill Whitty who will handle the new ball. At 11 is Right hand medium Gary Hazlitt.

In reserve is opener Claude Jennings, reserve keeper, Bill "Barlow" Carkeek, troubled Dave Smith, talented leg spinner Sid "Mad Mick" Emery and pacer John McLean.

Macartney and Bardsley are clearly the stars of the team, but I am not sure this team is as strong as the team that follow it, the 1920s or the team that proceeds it the 1900s.

Thanks to the bat, logo, stadium, uniform makers!

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
Updated Australia 1930s now has 19 squad members. Amongst the changes are the inclusion of the aggressive pace bowler, Laurie Nash. I've also included an allrounder in Phillip Lee and updated pacer Tim Wall's appearance and stats.

Laurie Nash is a very interesting bowler who could have been used in the bodyline series but was not. He has been referred to as Australia's worst waste of talent.

His stats are impressive and I believe he is an Aussie rules legend. He never played test cricket after the age if 26 but by all accounts was a brute with the ball.

His attitude and his ferocity were deemed not required for the bodyline series, due to Bill Woodfull resisting the temptation to meet fire with fire as that would be stopping to Douglas Jardine's dastardly English.

Last edited:

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
Uploaded one of the teams to have won a series 5-0. The 1931-32 Australians who trounced South Africa in Australia 5-0.

The majority of this team would play in the Bodyline series. What a collection of talent! If they had used the included Laurie Nash the Bodyline series might have been different.

A whole host of great players here.

Woodfull..Ponsford..Bradman..Kippax..McCabe..Oldfield...O'Reilly,... Grimmett,.. Ironmonger..Fingleton..and of course Nash.

This squad of 20 would be a match for anyone.

As I've posted a lot of 1930s South Africans I may produce a scenario.

Enjoy

Last edited:

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
Uploaded England 1920s. This is a squad of 19 players to date. There are four possible captains here.

The larger than life Percy Chapman, the flamboyant Percy Fender, the fascist leaning, Arthur Gilligan and Harold Larwood's captain, Arthur Carr. However of these four so called amateurs, Percy Chapman gets the nod.

There are some omissions who opted to play on the 30s squad such as Wally Hammond, whose career hits in peak in the 30s but started in the 1920s.

Another key omission is Jack Hobbs who will play for 1910s squad instead. Also originally included was Harold Larwood as his county captain Arthur Carr wanted him, however despite initially agreeing to join, Larwood decided he wanted "Rejoin, Mr.Jardine", and thus us in the 30s squad.

There is however world class talent available.

Herbert Sutcliffe will open the innings not with Andy Sandham as first thought but his prolific Yorkshire opening partner Percy Holmes. Sutcliffe and Holmes is one of the greatest opening partnership combinations of all time.

They are followed by the great Patsy Hendren. Charles 'Jack' Russell had a case to be included at 4 or 5 but the selectors went with the brilliant batsman, Ernest Tyldsley at 4 and Andy Sandham at 5. Sandham can also open, should the selectors want to experiment.

Percy Chapman will come in at 6. With keeper George Duckworth at 7 . The excellent Maurice Tate is at 8. Maurice Tate is a star and one of England's greatest ever bowlers. At 9 is the controversial, Arthur Gilligan, another who could captain the side in a pinch. At the early part of the 1920s, Gilligan formed a fearsome partnership with Tate.

At 10 is possibly the smallest player on Cricket 19 in 5'2 spinner, Tich Freeman. Finally at 11 is the reliable George Geary, though the aggressive George Macaulay is a decent alternative.

In reserve are one time schoolboy sensation Greville Stevens,, Larwood's county captain, Arthur Carr, Jack White, Percy Fender, Dick Tyldsley, and the unlucky Charles 'Jack' Russell. Rounding up the squad is spinner, Cesc Parkin. There is a strong case to use "Jack" Russell and drop the skipper, Percy Chapman.

This era from say 20s through to 30s is very interesting, not only learning about great feats with bat and ball, but the characters, the politics of the time. There are charmers, villians, gentlemen and players.

Arthur Gilligan in particular had caught my attention, as well as the conspiracy to undermine Australia, hatched by Arthur Carr.

Also an era of bon vivants too, such as larger than life, Percy Chapman and Percy Fender. What a dressing room this will be.

Like @gleeso73 I have really enjoyed this era. I have mixed some of his bases with new ones of mine and tweaked, created and perked.

Thank you to the bats, uniform, logo, stadium makers.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

gleeso73

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
Uploaded England 1920s. This is a squad of 19 players to date. There are four possible captains here.

The larger than life Percy Chapman, the flamboyant Percy Fender, the fascist leaning, Arthur Gilligan and Harold Larwood's captain, Arthur Carr. However of these four so called amateurs, Percy Chapman gets the nod.

There are some omissions who opted to play on the 30s squad such as Wally Hammond, whose career hits in peak in the 30s but started in the 1920s.

Another key omission is Jack Hobbs who will play for 1910s squad instead. Also originally included was Harold Larwood as his county captain Arthur Carr wanted him, however despite initially agreeing to join, Larwood decided he wanted "Rejoin, Mr.Jardine", and thus us in the 30s squad.

There is however world class talent available.

Herbert Sutcliffe will open the innings not with Andy Sandham as first thought but his prolific Yorkshire opening partner Percy Holmes. Sutcliffe and Holmes is one of the greatest opening partnership combinations of all time.

They are followed by the great Patsy Hendren. Charles 'Jack' Russell had a case to be included at 4 or 5 but the selectors went with the brilliant batsman, Ernest Tyldsley at 4 and Andy Sandham at 5. Sandham can also open, should the selectors want to experiment.

Percy Chapman will come in at 6. With keeper George Duckworth at 7 . The excellent Maurice Tate is at 8. Maurice Tate is a star and one of England's greatest ever bowlers. At 9 is the controversial, Arthur Gilligan, another who could captain the side in a pinch. At the early part of the 1920s, Gilligan formed a fearsome partnership with Tate.

At 10 is possibly the smallest player on Cricket 19 in 5'2 spinner, Tich Freeman. Finally at 11 is the reliable George Geary, though the aggressive George Macaulay is a decent alternative.

In reserve are one time schoolboy sensation Greville Stevens,, Larwood's county captain, Arthur Carr, Jack White, Percy Fender, Dick Tyldsley, and the unlucky Charles 'Jack' Russell. Rounding up the squad is spinner, Cesc Parkin. There is a strong case to use "Jack" Russell and drop the skipper, Percy Chapman.

This era from say 20s through to 30s is very interesting, not only learning about great feats with bat and ball, but the characters, the politics of the time. There are charmers, villians, gentlemen and players.

Arthur Gilligan in particular had caught my attention, as well as the conspiracy to undermine Australia, hatched by Arthur Carr.

Also an era of bon vivants too, such as larger than life, Percy Chapman and Percy Fender. What a dressing room this will be.

Like @gleeso73 I have really enjoyed this era. I have mixed some of his bases with new ones of mine and tweaked, created and perked.

Thank you to the bats, uniform, logo, stadium makers.

Enjoy!

I love watching the newsreels of the ‘20s and ‘30s teams and the flume of cigarette smoke as the fielding teams take a final drag as they walk out onto the oval. Such a contrast to today.

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
Uploaded England 1930s.

A mixture of tweaked and perked @gleeso73 bases and my own new bases. This is a squad of 18 who cover the Bodyline squad with exception of Herbert Sutcliffe who is playing for the 20s squad.

Who else could lead this squad other than the dastardly, Douglas Jardine.

To open the batting is his vice captain Bob Wyatt who will be partnered with Maurice Leyland. Leyland a tough Yorkshireman normally played middle order but with Sutcliffe out he takes responsibility.

At 3 is one of the greatest players of all time in Wally Hammond. Hammond has added value in his bowling ability too.

At 4 is the skipper himself the man in the Harlequin cap the tall, disciplined, Douglas Jardine. Jardine cant wait to unleash his fast bowling battery against any side. Especially Bradman.

At 5 is the little talented, attacking, left hander, Eddie Paynter, a man full of Northen grit and determination

At 6 is one of the brightest talents of English cricket in the 1930s, K.S. Duleepsinhji, nephew of the great Ranji. Only ill health stopped him being greater.

At 7 is wicketkeeper batsman Les Ames, a free scoring player, Ames is good enough to get into the side on his batting alone.

At 8 is the excellent allrounder Gubby Allen, Gubby is not a fan of Jardine. He refuses to do the infamous bodyline tactics but he will play a vital part in the attack with swing and accuracy and a decent bat.

At 9 is the strong pacer, and Jardine henchman, Bill Voce will do what "Mr.Jardine" asks of him.

At 10 is the other man the Aussie crowds love to hate but respect, in Harold Larwood. Perhaps the fastest fast bowler of the 30s, though Manny Martindale of the West Indies would beg to differ.

At 11 is Bill Bowes. The tall 6'3 is another henchman who will do his master's bidding. Bowes often gets overlooked because of Larwood but he can bring the heat too.

So in reserve? Controversy surrounds the initial exclusion of Headley Verity a world class slow left armer, but not Jardine's choice because leg theory. The team manager, Plum Warner will do everything to get him in the side.

Another man with a gripe against Jardine is his Royal highness, The Prince. The Nawab of Pataudi Sr. The prince has made it clear he is not a bodyline fan.

There is allround talent available in Walter Robins, Stan Nicols, and Freddie Brown. Opener Cyril Walters is available if Leyland does not work out at opener. Making up the numbers is leg spinner Tommy Mitchell.

Considering there is no Herbert Sutcliffe, this is a strong side with a selection issue here and there. To play bodyline you need Larwood, Voce and Bowes. If you include Verity then do you take Gubby out?

A nod to @gleeso73.

Thanks to the uniform, Logo, bat, stadium makers. I think that completes the set of Test playing nations for the 1930s.

With India, New Zealand and the West Indies being the junior nations and Australia, England and South Africa being the major nations..

Now a 1930s league can be played. Most if not all players with over ten caps who played in Test cricket have been created. Same goes for the 1920s, and 1970s.

I will finish the 1910s and 1900s for England and the 1900s for Australia.

Then 1940s, 1950s and 1960s for England. To round out all the decades from 1900 to the end of the 1970s.

A lot of 1980s and 1990s squads have also been completed but I'll save them till last and there are more versions of the players available.

To my memory I've created WestIndies, India and Pakistan from the beginning of their Test status to the present day. Hopefully this will save time for scenario builders.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
The amazing teams you upload, I would give you a title at PC Forums if I had the power: Historian of Cricket.

Thank you Dap!

I've updated Enggand 1930s with Essex's Ken Farnes a 6'5 fast bowler, said to be as quick as any in his day. He played 15 tests for England and played on the famous 'Timeless' test. A wartime time pilot he was lost to cricket when killed in 1941. One of the many 'might have beens' in sport.

Reactions: DAP

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
Uploaded England 1940s.

Its war time and many of these cricketers lost 4 -5 years of their Test career. Nevertheless, some had begun their careers successfully in the late 30's and enjoyed a swansong into the early 1950s.

For those that do scenarios most of the key Test cricketers who played in Test series after the war are here for England. This should make squad building a little easier.

The squad here is loaded with batting talent, with some famous all time names in the lineup. Less strong in the pace bowling department the attack does have have two class spinners and an all time great fast medium.

So the openers are, the all time great and captain, Len Hutton and his sturdy batting partner, Cyril Washbrook

At three is the exciting Bill Edrich who can even open the bowling such is his talent. He is followed in the order by his 'twin', the Brylcream boy himself, another England great, the multi talented,Denis Compton.

At 5 is another dashing player in Joe Hardstaff. Hardstaff completes an outstanding top 5. At 6 is a lynchpin of the side Jack Ikin. Ikin is a vital component to control things and is a counterpoint to his flashier mates higher in the order.

At 7 would have been the great Godfrey Evan's, but Godfrey has agreed to join up with the powerful 1950s squad instead. So his reserve Paul Gibb takes his spot here.

At 8 is the allround talent of Norman Yardley, backed up at 9 by the accurate bowler and another England great in Alec Bedser. Bedser will carry a heavy load on his shoulders for the team

At 9 is the brilliant leg spinner Doug Wright and at 11 is Alec Coxon.

Carrying the drink is spinner Eric Hollies. Hollies could get into the side ahead of Coxon, if you want a second spinner. Though Hollies was a very good bowler in his own right, it is he who bowled out Bradman for a duck, in his last appearance at the crease in 1948 ensuring Bradman's average ended on 99.

There are Ken Cranston, Jack Robertson, Jack Young, Dick Pollard, Tom Dollery, and the beautifully named Jack Crapp in reserve.

Finally there is Eric Bedser, Alec's twin brother who was a decent spinner, who though in a Test Squad never appeared on the pitch as Doug Wright, Eric Hollies and later Jim Laker were difficult for him to dislodge. Laker will be in the 1950s squad.

These are all my bases except one. I've used @gleeso73 Len Hutton, the artwork he used is very good but for this one it's perfect! I've tweaked and perked his stats only.

Thanks to the stadium, bats, logo, uniforms makers as always.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
Reuploaded England 1940s to include Godfrey Evan's. The wicket keeper position was solid in the 1940s team with the addition of Arthur McIntyre who was often touted as better keeper than the flamboyant Evan's.

Users who are viewing this thread