abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Guys, I've tried and tried to play pace bowling without having to premeditate foot placement and have come to the conclusion it is impossible for me. Maybe it is my reactions, but I either play the ball too late and miss it altogether or play too late and edge it. I know some of you have said you don't premeditate for pace bowling but I feel my reactions will never be that quick and it is spoiling the realism of batting for me.

You are not alone. There is no way in hell I could play pace bowling without premeditating my footwork. My reactions just aren't fast enough.

So I play most of my shots off the front foot, unless the field is ideal for some horizontal bat shots. Then I go for the back foot stance. I am not complaining though because being from India, playing on the front foot is in my blood :spy :spy

ellgieff

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Agreed but some kind of batting feedback would still be helpful.

This. A million times, this.

Many of the frustrations with batting could be sorted (for me) if I just knew what my inputs were from the last shot.

Because then I can correct the things I'm getting wrong.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
This. A million times, this.

Many of the frustrations with batting could be sorted (for me) if I just knew what my inputs were from the last shot.

Because then I can correct the things I'm getting wrong.

I agree with this. I think it's too many inputs too late. If you got an early "tell" from poorer bowlers at the length, then you could be setting your foot earlier, and concentrate on the line. The tell could be reduced on harder difficulty levels. You could still make a late adjustment (the length could change any time up until release from the bowler's hand maybe, so you could actually add the ability for a bowler to fake it).

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
You are not alone. There is no way in hell I could play pace bowling without premeditating my footwork. My reactions just aren't fast enough.

So I play most of my shots off the front foot, unless the field is ideal for some horizontal bat shots. Then I go for the back foot stance. I am not complaining though because being from India, playing on the front foot is in my blood :spy :spy

I just play everything on the front foot as you can cut and pull on the front foot, so really there aren't any balls that demand you play them on the back foot.

Only really short balls that are straight cause a problem when you have a stacked legside field so don't want to risk a pull shot and there's no width to cut them. generally i loft them straight down the ground, but unless they are timed horribly they just land between mid and long on or off and are rarely caught.

But even then they are always going over the stumps unless bowled around 58mph, so you can just let them hit you

superfreddie

Club Captain
Just had a thought that would be a good addition for a patch or the next iteration in regard to when the coloured circle appears when batting. A slider to make this earlier or later would be ideal but in addition to that it could appear earlier for better batsmen who pick up length quicker and later for tail-enders who do pick up the length later as in real life.

This difference in when the coloured circle appears for each batsmen could be related to their anticipation skill set.

ellgieff

Club Captain
I agree with this. I think it's too many inputs too late. If you got an early "tell" from poorer bowlers at the length, then you could be setting your foot earlier, and concentrate on the line. The tell could be reduced on harder difficulty levels. You could still make a late adjustment (the length could change any time up until release from the bowler's hand maybe, so you could actually add the ability for a bowler to fake it).

Tells would be particularly nice as far as being able to pick the delivery - a 30kph reduction in speed for the slower ball _without_ any tell is pretty special ;)

Could also be interesting as far as tells for wrong 'uns and things like that. You could reduce the tells not only for difficulty, but for bowler and batsman ability.

And still, it's more my inputs that I'm interested in. I've hit a patch where I'm seemingly unable to play a shot square or behind square on the leg side - short, full, pull, glance, front foot, back foot, medium pacer, fast; doesn't matter, I'm missing it.

I don't know whether it's the footwork, the timing or the phase of the firetrucking moon. Which makes it hard to correct, and because of the occasional wicket lost to acknowledged and clear bugs it's easy to start thinking that there might be an extraneous influence - stroke/batting feedback would go a long way (pretty much all of it, for me) to alleviating the issue for me.

Even something "simple", like two dials representing the L and R stick inputs and a timing indicator, that needs a button press or two to access (so, similar to the BARS stuff) would do the trick, IMO.

douglas93

Club Captain
Think Ill just wait for patch now. Been playing pretty much since release, won one 1 dayer and 1 20/20, in all other games pretty much failed to post a competitive score (on pro). Playing a test is a complete no - no, think the chances of me batting for a day are slim to say the least.

Sad thing is I love this game, in my opinion its easily the best cricket game yet (and I started on Graham Gooch in the '80's), its just too bloody hard to bat! Has anyone out there chased down a substantial 1 day total? I admire you if you have.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Has anyone out there chased down a substantial 1 day total?

I think the most that I've chased down is around 220. Anything more than that and I struggle, I haven't quite worked out how to pace my innings when chasing down a large total. Batting first though I have posted scores above 350.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I think the most that I've chased down is around 220. Anything more than that and I struggle, I haven't quite worked out how to pace my innings when chasing down a large total. Batting first though I have posted scores above 350.

to the games credit, I found after watching sri lanka v england I got a bit better (missed most of the SAF v australia series and grew long tired of the ashes last summer so this was the first test cricket I'd watched in about 10 months) as seeing how real cricketers pace an innings was a big help.

you kinda forget that out of nearly 200 balls players tend to only go for the boundary on about 10-15 of them and you're ok just playing dribbley little shots safe for 1 the rest of the time.

I'm a bit worried about the fatigue settings being altered actually, as a bowler it was annoying but it has lended itself to the concept of playing out the fast bowlers with a new ball. if the field settings were a bit better I think I'd be almost ok with battng (though I am looking forward to them being a bit easier as the balance is wrong and such a difficult setting should not be the default lowest.)

Last edited:

douglas93

Club Captain
Definitely think the balance needs considering. Just seems a bit of a lottery, playing on the legside often seems to lead to the ball being in the air (even when you do get runs), I presume this is down to being too early on the shot. Looking forward to patch 2 !

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I just play everything on the front foot as you can cut and pull on the front foot, so really there aren't any balls that demand you play them on the back foot.

Only really short balls that are straight cause a problem when you have a stacked legside field so don't want to risk a pull shot and there's no width to cut them. generally i loft them straight down the ground, but unless they are timed horribly they just land between mid and long on or off and are rarely caught.

But even then they are always going over the stumps unless bowled around 58mph, so you can just let them hit you

I have experienced that being on the backfoot makes my shots a lot crisper and the ball just bullets over the outfield. Especially the on/cover drives. Quite delicious. And ofcourse the pulls and hooks are more effective, and can be placed more accurately.

I obviously never go on the backfoot for medium pacers, because the ball would just end up going under the bat at times when they hit speeds of 70kph (LOL ?? ). But for 'fasties' who bowl in the 125kph+ range I really enjoy playing on the backfoot mainly when I am looking to thread a not so wide gap

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Might start a new career playing off the back foot for comparison, my main guy now has really high front foot stats so would be silly to change now i think.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
I premeditate on front foot but if there is a really quick bowlers hurling in short pitch stuff, I play at Backfoot. Also I can play without premeditation against medium pacers. I think they give you enough time to judge foot movement. Against faster guy, I have to premeditate. My career player (pure batsman) has more than half way filled front foot skill bar but it is filled up to a quarter only for backfoot play. I will love to change that somehow.

ImRishi

School Cricketer
I filled up my front foot bar at the age of 21 on my career mode which has massively helped, my back foot bar at the age of 23 is now half full and i'm purposely playing longer games against medium pacers/spinners to try bring it up.

Problem is it just doesnt bring the runs in so in short formats i hardly ever back foot unless its medium nearly the rest of the time i'm going front foot.

I'm almost at 10,000 overall runs in t20 which i think unlocks a gold achievement

Users who are viewing this thread