My thoughts for the future iteration for BA cricketing series

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Exactly. The problem is that with penalties in place for ignoring him, you'd better be sure the skipper doesn't order anything that doesn't make sense, or that undermines gameplay, or that restricts players unduly in their pursuit of a personal playing style, or whatever undesirable outcome.

If it stays at very generic "take a wicket" "prevent runs" sort of level then the risk of really poor instructions is prob manageable, but the strategic possibilities multiply so quickly that I don't know how viable anything more complex might be. I just don't know how much strategy ai we can reasonably expect them to cram in.
In the context of career mode I think what @funnyadit and I discussed earlier in thread is more workable. Setting seasonal expectations or goals (score 1000 runs, score 5 centuries, take 50 wickets) is probably more viable in terms of cause and effect being more manageable. Link it to a reputation and/or consistency skill with the risk of failing to meet targets meaning you get let go and have to find another team or even drop down from county to club level. Likewise, have them linked to selection for national teams. That would be a start of introducing external targets with consequences.

I like the idea of captain's instructions but the in match consequences would, like you say, multiply quickly making it difficult to implement to a game-changing level without a big rethink to how the AI operates and a lot of testing.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
The captain instructions or objectives is being talked in career mode in mind right? Because thats the mode such a short or situation based objectives would make sense.. Also if thats the case then when our career player becomes the captain we would have an in depth career experience to play with..

Also TJ I have no idea about how such things are implemented or how complex even a simple feature is to implement which seems simple from outset.. These are put out for BA to get an idea what the community wants and to engage maybe in the future for their series.. So basically when I wrote those it was about how good the game could turn out and make the experience more engaging and intriguing to get in those long hour gaming time back [which I had with DBC 14] and not with whether so and so would be possible or not.. We can all let the things or design for a feature we want out here in a way it reaches or is viewed by the people who are creating the sports we love..

Staying realistic or getting our minds on what is possible or complex before even the people at BA get involved isnt required as we just would restrict our thoughts on something much simpler and basic..It doesnt hurt to think big..

Rackemup27

Club Cricketer
Another big point for me which should be easy to implement is upon starting a career you should be able to select the level at which he/she enters. You can start at club if you like or jump in as an international. Also to play as one player in tour and competition mode.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
Afraid I haven't had a chance to read everything people have put into this thread but since people are talking about Career Mode and that's my most played I'll throw out some ideas.

- I'm sure others have said this but the way skill points are awarded and allocated needs a revamp. I kind of like the way Fifa career mode does it where you complete drills to increase your skills in different areas but obviously for this to work the drill mini-games have to be fun or risk becoming tedious. A combination of this and the way things worked in DBC14 where how you played in matches affected how your stats increased would probably be best. This would mean our skills would both develop naturally and yet we'd also have some control of what we wanted focus on through training, a very true-to-life system imo. I would also say that skills you don't work on in games or training should decline over time, slowly when you're younger but at an increased rate as your player gets older (yes, bring back aging please :D).

- Some sort of contract system instead of just picking whatever team you want from a given league. Eg. If you are a spin bowler, a team that really needs a spinner will offer you a better contract than one that already has good spin options. The money you earn doesn't really have to do anything or could be used to buy bats/sunglasses etc. Maybe different bats could have different attributes (eg more power or slightly easier timing).

- A more dynamic selection policy. This could be integrated with the short-term goals system others have mentioned in order to make it more clear about when you are going to move up/down in your career. For instance a goal could be "Average X runs across the next 3 matches" and if you achieve the goal you will move closer to the next level, be it county call-up, international etc. You could have different goals for different formats so if you're really good at T20s you could fire on all the way up to international level but still be nowhere near the test team. Failure of goals multiple times in a row could also lead to being dropped a level (would recommend adding 2nd XIs at county level) and cause you to have to work your way back up again by completing your goals. It could be made so that the longer you're at a given level the more leeway you will get. For example if you fail in your first test series you are likely to get dropped immediately but if you have proven yourself for a while at that level you will have to play multiple poor series before getting the boot. I think this would really add some great moments to career mode, imagine scoring a hundred when you know you are right on the verge of being dropped. Or actually being dropped from your international team after a poor start and working your way back up to become one of the top players in the world.

- Not directly related to career but the simulation when you're not playing needs to be improved a lot. This causes a lot of problems currently in Ashes as a bowler, your team-mates get thrashed all over the park while the game is simulating and leads to the AI playing very defensively against you. It's quite dull.

- Fielding drop-ins when simulating could be fun, giving you a chance at a catch or run-out. Would make playing a keeper more interesting too as they'd get many more chances including stumpings etc.

- A system to manage your fitness to avoid becoming fatigued/injured. This would mean you can't just play every single match you're eligible for while also spamming the training modes. Obviously the dynamic selection would need to take this into account as well. Maybe when your fitness gets low the coach will come and ask you if you feel fit to play in the next game, then you can say no to get a rest or play anyway and risk injury and being out for weeks/months. Probably make this an optional feature as I'm sure many would get annoyed at missing lots of time from a random injury, but for a realist like me it would be great.

- Maybe just a fun little thing like a "twitter" feed where you can see people trashing you if you do badly :p

- Nightclub fighting simulator needs to be added for extra realism.

Last edited:

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Afraid I haven't had a chance to read everything people have put into this thread but since people are talking about Career Mode and that's my most played I'll throw out some ideas.
- Nightclub fighting simulator needs to be added for extra realism.
Amazing idea! Everyone would love this. White guy smashing gay people! (You know who I am talking about)

TekkogsSteve

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I have an idea for Career Mode/Academy.

It would be cool if, when creating a team list or a competition to have an option to say “Use in Career Mode” and to be able to select the standard - I.e. first class/list A, club or international - and, when applicable, the country. If possible, you could even go full Football Manager and allow us to add league structures with promotion, relegation.

Using this you could, for example, create the hundred league (assuming it’s not already in the next iteration of the game) or a 100 ball WC.

The other thing it would allow me to do would be to create the Scottish leagues and play with them on career mode without having to strip Ireland of test status. This follows to another point.

It would be great if we could play careers as Scotsmen (or any other associate member) and play World Cup Qualifier Tournements and series against other associates, and maybe the occasional ODI against whoever is touring England/Ireland in game (not expecting a fully fledged Intercontinental Cup or World League) and it would be pretty cool if there was some sort of logic system that promoted a team to test status every 5-10 years.

jay godhani

Club Cricketer
Physics with description: need include more physical parameters...like piches, wheather with descriptions so we get complete idea about it & sure that not only show piece....
Arm power: when we go hit higher distance six like more than 90meter it must be need good arm power like Dhooni...etc
tour: great if we can able to tour different countries with different opponents, also tournaments or simply competitions scheduled for 6 months or 1 year within calendar
Advance & sweep shots: need to tune difficulty of advance & sweep shots compare to other shots or give modifier slider of that both shots

jaffar100

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Also shots Glance to Third Man like Dravid for strike rotation.
Flick towards Mid wicket like R Ponting , VVS are missing , please add those shots as well.

Tagging BigAntStudios staff to bring my suggestions to their visibility and attention, hoping that they might like atleast few of them.

@MattW @HBK619

Thank You Big Ant !

Last edited:

TekkogsSteve

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I think the game
would benefit from a jumper section when designing uniforms as (especially with knitted ones) the logos on the jumper aren’t always on the same place as on the short irl and this is a minor thing that’s always bugged me when it comes to immersion and authenticity

jaffar100

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
1. Along with Team Rankings which is available right now, including Player rankings across formats creates immense interest in playing career mode. Nice feature to be added.

2. Include player injuries during matches and keep players out of matches due to injuries with the recovery time.

3. Currently in between IPL season international matches are also scheduled, which is wrong correct them and keep dedicated window for ipl.

4. All of these features are available in International Cricket Captain (ICC) gaming series, there are many more features in ICC which can be included by @BigAntStudios to enhance their cricket games to make it even great.

5. Also please fix the bug of Cricket World Cup not being able to play in career mode right now, where as TwentyT20 World Cup available.

6. Players should not be allowed to select for domestic matches during their international duties clashing on same dates.

Tagging BigAntStudios staff to bring my suggestions to their visibility and attention, hoping that they might like atleast few of them.

@MattW @HBK619

Thank You Big Ant !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread