Nov 25-29: 1st Test: Australia v England at Brisbane

woodzy

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I can see your point about youngsters but we are 1/445. The experienced guys have done bugger all. The entire team looks flat. Get some youth and exuberance in the squad.
If we picked kids England would be 0-645!

woodzy

Club Cricketer
Did I say pick all kids? I said replace North with one of Smith, Khawaja or Ferguson. And replace Johnson with Bollinger. That's hardly a bunch of kids.

Those three are barely performing at first class level. I agree with Bollinger or Harris replacing Johnson. But if you are going to change you have to change for the better and im not sure either one of Smith, Khawaja or Ferguson could come in and do a better job. The two players i had lined up to replace North were either Michael Klinger or Phil Jaques, but neither have set the world on fire this season.

ChefMan21

Club Cricketer
Those three are barely performing at first class level. I agree with Bollinger or Harris replacing Johnson. But if you are going to change you have to change for the better and im not sure either one of Smith, Khawaja or Ferguson could come in and do a better job. The two players i had lined up to replace North were either Michael Klinger or Phil Jaques, but neither have set the world on fire this season.

So if none of them are setting the world on fire, and North isn't performing and hasn't done so, what do you do? Play with 10 players? Or pick the young guy who can still grow rather than stop gap replacements? Smith, Khawaja and Ferguson are all gifted players who can potentially play for Australia for 10-15 years.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
The biggest problem for Australia this Ashes is England will be adamant with a 0-0 series, and we don't have the quality in bowlers to take wickets if they want to bat for a draw. Well at least it doesn't appear that way.

woodzy

Club Cricketer
So if none of them are setting the world on fire, and North isn't performing and hasn't done so, what do you do? Play with 10 players? Or pick the young guy who can still grow rather than stop gap replacements? Smith, Khawaja and Ferguson are all gifted players who can potentially play for Australia for 10-15 years.

Well how do you justify dropping North if you bring in someone who cant do any better. It becomes a case of "sorry your crap but the person we're bringing is not able to do any better". Theres no justification for the decision. Thats why Australian cricket is in a bit of a sticky situation. Unfortunately, during our golden generation we also had an enormous amount of quality first class batsmen who in any other era would have had long careers for Australia, e.g. the likes of Hodge, Martin Love, Michael Bevan, Darren Lehmann, Matthew Elliott etc were all quality players whod easily make it into the team if they were playing today!

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Cook > Sachin

Lol, I knew you were going to do that.

505/1. Australia haven't bowled better than the scorecard suggests. That's a true reflection of how bad they've been. I'd be very worried. I'd field an attack of Hilfenhaus, Bollinger, Siddle and Doherty next game. Drop North and bring in Ferguson, I say. Go for it! He can't be any worse than North, for sure. North has experience, but experience of what? Failing consistently? That experience argument is only valid if he's done something with that experience. Experience doesn't just mean you've been in the team for a while. It has to carry some weight and substance with it and North has none of that.

Last edited:

Blues

School Cricketer
Really well played by England it has to be said. England in Ashes series gone by would have folded easily.

It has to be said however why do they not declare? Possibly memories of Adelaide last time but there is no way Australia could win the game from here. They could end up with a massive advantage mentally if they grab even 2-3 wickets

ChefMan21

Club Cricketer
Well how do you justify dropping North if you bring in someone who cant do any better. It becomes a case of "sorry your crap but the person we're bringing is not able to do any better". Theres no justification for the decision. Thats why Australian cricket is in a bit of a sticky situation. Unfortunately, during our golden generation we also had an enormous amount of quality first class batsmen who in any other era would have had long careers for Australia, e.g. the likes of Hodge, Martin Love, Michael Bevan, Darren Lehmann, Matthew Elliott etc were all quality players whod easily make it into the team if they were playing today!

These guys can do better. Just give them a chance. This is the problem with Australian cricket. Picking 32,33 and 34 year olds who are Ponting's mates over a young guy. At least if you drop a young guy he can come back later a la Martyn and Hayden and you can develop them into much, much better players. If you drop a 33 year old you have to search all over again because they can't develop any more.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Man I love being a neutral supporter. I loved Siddle's 6fer, Anderson's wicketless burst, even the Haddin-Hussey partnership was glorious to watch. Now this epic innings.

There's no stress, tension, or anxiety. I would be ripping my hair out if I was an Aussie supporter, but i'm not. If it was Australia batting at 513/1 I might've been a little more peeved, but I would have still enjoyed it.

I should do this more often! This is how test cricket is supposed to be watched!

woodzy

Club Cricketer
These guys can do better. Just give them a chance. This is the problem with Australian cricket. Picking 32,33 and 34 year olds who are Ponting's mates over a young guy. At least if you drop a young guy he can come back later a la Martyn and Hayden and you can develop them into much, much better players. If you drop a 33 year old you have to search all over again because they can't develop any more.

They cant do better at present...if theyre struggling to play well at first class level then what chance do they have at international level. Personally, id pick players when theyre 25-26, when theyve matured both on the field and off it. By picking players too early, your setting them up to fail! Look at Phil Hughes and Michael Clarke..classic examples. Let the players dominate first class attacks until theyve matured, then pick them for international cricket!

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Good test match but an awful pitch :mad. A result would have been nice to set up a thrilling series. England will have their confidence up for the second test. Australia will have to drop Mitchel and bring in dougy. Australia could do well to have someone of Dougy's attitude in the team.

Users who are viewing this thread