Patch 2 - hugely positive, some minor negatives

lalakaka2195

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I want to tell u that whenever I play a casual match with computer any format t20 aur odi in death overs why they didn't change the field position for example slips gully leg slip mid on and long on inside the circle so how it can be improved I have installed Patch 1 and 2

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Are you saying edging more is not a positive? Surely more edges is better?

More edges are better while you are bowling against AI, but not while batting coz there are enough edges while batting as it is. Maybe more variety of edges can be introduced so not all edges are catchable. Currently nearly every edge is taken by the wk leading to a dismissal which is not too realistic.

CallyT

School Cricketer
I like the game after the patch.

I agree about the pull /cut shot going in the air.

Off drives are also now a gamble they go in the air a lot more also.

somekeystrokes

School Cricketer
Are you saying edging more is not a positive? Surely more edges is better?

They r better. (Only when u r bowling, hehe) the thing is too much edges I'm facing.
but I'm more concerned about the timings of shots,? Or is it just me who's experiencing this.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
I like the game after the patch.

I agree about the pull /cut shot going in the air.

Off drives are also now a gamble they go in the air a lot more also.

The more I'm playing the game on PS3, the more I'm finding that patch 2 fixed the leg side shots played in the air (flick & glances) but broke others such as cut, hook/pull and drives coz now these shots are almost always hit in the air. Hopefully Big Ant will revert all the other shots to how they were prior to patch 2 and retaining the changes made to flick/glance.

thumbsup767

School Cricketer
I dunno really. As an aspiring leg-spinner in my youth, I can certainly attest to the fact that not every ball turns, but again that is a question of skill too. But even the very best spinners will bowl many balls that just do not turn. It's a collision of many different elements that just fall into place to let you have your day with the ball.

I have a number of theories, which would allign with real life too. You have to find that area of the pitch that is roughed up enough to influence turn, so trial and error and using the angle of delivery helps. Of course what does not help is your captain putting you in after 5 overs when the ball is still new and the pitch is still relatively fresh. The ball will just skid off the surface.

Another thing is in-game timing. You need to turn the left stick in the direction of your main delivey's turn 3 full timesto max out the spin meter. Time it too early, and the meter starts to drop. Do it too late, and you dont get the 3 full turns in. Really as a fresh career player, you need consider about 1400rpm or so to provide the potential for real turn.

These are just my observations though. I could be completely wrong however, but I do get balls that turn a good 30 degrees. Its very intensive. Unlike pace, where your main focus is the jump timing, with spin your main focus is trying to get the ball to behave as you want 100% for each and every ball bowled.

I agree with you here but when I watch cricket, the spinner's stock ball is usually consistent (ie. on a turning wicket, the ball will turn more often than not and vice versa). I don't think that the stock ball works like that in the game even when playing on a dusty pitch.

mattcarswell8

School Cricketer
I think the original game was really good and now it has improve a lot more. I really enjoy playing this game by far the best cricket game and is better then a lot of other sporting games.

The only suggestions I would make for more improvements would be:

1. To many shots go in the air (pull / hook / cuts). Something that may be possible is to change the current shot you play with LT & RT held in with the normal shot, as I have found that when you hold LT & RT in the ball goes to ground more often.
2. When you are fielding I have noticed a lot of the balls that are bowl bounce before they reach the wicket keeper (fast & medium bowlers). The wicket keeper and slips need to be move forward. When the AI is fielding everything seem to be good, the wicket keeper is up closer to the stumps.

Last edited:

yashtop

School Cricketer
In the career mode, the players need to be changed in the playing XI. It's annoying that the best players of my international side are not playing. I hope this is fixed in a future patch.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
In the career mode, the players need to be changed in the playing XI. It's annoying that the best players of my international side are not playing. I hope this is fixed in a future patch.

Not a bug and you can do so yourself even now. Feel free to edit the teams used in career mode, add intl players you want to play with/against to the said teams and start your career.

topanaris

School Cricketer
Well the patch 2 has made the game playable for me - Thank heavens, 2 things annoy the crap out of me.

1. If an AI batsman plays the ball to short cover or short extra cover the fielder running in from cover or extra cover just does circles around the ball forever until the bowler invariable retrieves the ball.

2. This to me is a definite bug, when you play a ball to long on, the fielders coming in don't run - they walk to collect the ball, giving the batsman the opportunity to collect extra runs.

All in all the patch is awesome, finally started playing again.

balkeet

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well the patch 2 has made the game playable for me - Thank heavens, 2 things annoy the crap out of me.

1. If an AI batsman plays the ball to short cover or short extra cover the fielder running in from cover or extra cover just does circles around the ball forever until the bowler invariable retrieves the ball.

2. This to me is a definite bug, when you play a ball to long on, the fielders coming in don't run - they walk to collect the ball, giving the batsman the opportunity to collect extra runs.

All in all the patch is awesome, finally started playing again.

the second bug you mentioned I think is cool because really fielders at long on and long off do get lazy as single is always on, the AI batsmen never takes an extra run off it when the fielding is set to auto.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
In terms of shots going in air, I also felt the same while playing on PC version( in particular, the offside shots). But I am still not able to conclude whether my timing is not correct or, the shots really going in air always.

For example, this dismissal in video - just not sure whether it is my timing mistake or the nature of shot itself. Damn, thought that it went like a rocket to the fence but shocked to see it landing in safe hands!

Last edited by a moderator:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
^^^
Shots go much more in the air and some of them are hit in the air no matter what. It's not timing or footwork as you can go to "Match Practice", hit shots with 'Perfect' footwork & timing, and yet see the ball go in the air.

Mlovell

School Cricketer
Ever since I downloaded patch 2 on 360 the game freezes once I've played a match so I have to restart the console and play the match again

Users who are viewing this thread