Patch 3 Requests/Wishlist

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
So I get that the ai isn't perfect and that there is a lack of edges etc. and the batsman always knows where you're gonna bowl.
But if there was as many edges as you guys want and the keepers and slips to catch everything you would get teams out for 100 every time you played which is more unrealistic. Your career bowling average would be like 5 and you'd have best bowling figures of 10-10 which is just stupid.
And as much for the batsman knowing where you're gonna bowl every time as a pace bowler, I bet your pitch map is 6 balls in almost the same place, which in real life is the way to bowl if you wanna bore the batsman out and make them hit it to mid on or off trying to force something because they're bored. But when you watch cricket and they go back and analyse the delivery that got the batsman out, there will be 3-4 balls in the same place and then the slightly fuller one which swings a little more will be the one that gets the wicket. The good length button as a fast bowler is more of a hot the deck length which mean the swing is early enough for a batsman to pick it most of the time, in real life. In saying that, just because the batsman picks it doesn't mean he won't get out.

I have been one of the most vocal in complaining that the bowling isn’t a good enough experience and the AI needs to give up more edges, and play more realistically rather than constant middle or miss.

Leaving aside your ignorance of the perfect symmetry of 10 for 10, I am not calling for an AI to be steamrollered; I am calling for there to be a connection between bowling performance and the outcome. At the moment bowling is a slot machine, you press and press until the game decides the AI will get out.

But when I play this game I find if I bowl a few good length balls with the same timing on the stick so they are about the same length and then release the stick a little earlier so the ball is a bit fuller or hold it longer so it's a meter shorter it brings about more edges and mistimed shots etc.
So I think that part of this problem is the bowling controls haven't been explained properly.
But my advice for anyone not getting many edges to swing bowling. Bowl a full length but hold the stick long enough to bring length back a little so the batsman is trying to drive on the up rather then drive a Yorker. Still not heaps of edges but there is more.

You’ve described almost every over I bowl, generally hitting the same areas with the odd ball varying swing, pace, length/bounce, seam position etc. True I may get very slightly more edges but they’re still random flukes. In the last 2 weeks I’ve bowled well over 300 overs in games on Pro level, the most common “edge” is a top edge to the keeper from a square cut usually to the straightest ball of the over: that’s the game landing 3 cherries, not your bowling skill. Bowl a ball on a good length in the corridor, shaping in and straightening just past the off stump, the AI leaves it by stepping outside leg stump before the ball has pitched. In real life that ball will get you play and misses and edges, and even when the batsman creams a drive for four as a bowler you’re thinking “fine, I’m in the game, keep that up and you’ll edge one eventually”.

If the conditions favour the bowler, I’ve no problem with being able to skittle the AI cheaply, provided I feel I’ve bowled well and the wickets have come naturally. Equally if the conditions favour the batsmen I’ve no problem with them stacking up 450/4…

Stu10

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
The ability to save your career player to the bradman academy during or at the end of your career so you can use him in other modes.

D

Dutch

Will you be able to give some insight into
a. how far away we are with a possible patch three implementation
b. which things will be possible to include in patch three
c. why you cannot answer a or b.....

Apparently not.....

cricfan11

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
c. why you cannot answer a or b.....
Because that will result in some new debates. Some people will think,"hey, what about my idea, that won't be included?!" and things similar to that. So there will be people complaining about patch 3 even before it is released.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
What's wrong with that exactly? We could do with some new debates.
get enough of us involved and it can be a mass debate...[DOUBLEPOST=1426092116][/DOUBLEPOST]in all honesty, it would be really good to get some idea as to the scope of a patch. Ross has said in another thread I believe "gameplay and co-op" which is cool, but a bit more detail would be lovely.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
TBH I am not really excited about Co-op as I dont think I will be using that feature, so details about the gameplay tweaks that will be made in the Patch#3 is the main thing I am looking forward to...

Liam hughes

Club Cricketer
I have been one of the most vocal in complaining that the bowling isn’t a good enough experience and the AI needs to give up more edges, and play more realistically rather than constant middle or miss.

Leaving aside your ignorance of the perfect symmetry of 10 for 10, I am not calling for an AI to be steamrollered; I am calling for there to be a connection between bowling performance and the outcome. At the moment bowling is a slot machine, you press and press until the game decides the AI will get out.

You’ve described almost every over I bowl, generally hitting the same areas with the odd ball varying swing, pace, length/bounce, seam position etc. True I may get very slightly more edges but they’re still random flukes. In the last 2 weeks I’ve bowled well over 300 overs in games on Pro level, the most common “edge” is a top edge to the keeper from a square cut usually to the straightest ball of the over: that’s the game landing 3 cherries, not your bowling skill. Bowl a ball on a good length in the corridor, shaping in and straightening just past the off stump, the AI leaves it by stepping outside leg stump before the ball has pitched. In real life that ball will get you play and misses and edges, and even when the batsman creams a drive for four as a bowler you’re thinking “fine, I’m in the game, keep that up and you’ll edge one eventually”.

If the conditions favour the bowler, I’ve no problem with being able to skittle the AI cheaply, provided I feel I’ve bowled well and the wickets have come naturally. Equally if the conditions favour the batsmen I’ve no problem with them stacking up 450/4…
Yeah I understand what you mean! The either hit or miss by a long way is a bit frustrating because you never get those really close ones to appeal for and potentially get a wrong decision.

Yeah, I really had no idea about the 10-10 haha. But just meant it as an example.

I kinda over wrote what I was saying before as I wasn't paying 100% attention to it.
I really just meant to say that I think the ai batsman pick up the line better then the length. Which brings more edges if you bowl a bit fuller length then the stock good length.
But yeah I know what you're saying, you want be rewarded for bowling consistently well.
But I guess one thing is if you were constantly rewarded for bowling well, which to be honest, once you get a grip of the controls is quite easy to do, the game will become too easy. In my opinion anyway. But also think playing to batsmans weaknesses and hitting them on the body and stuff increases your chance of getting them out, in my experience.
But it would also be good to get punished for bad bowling since i think the worst I've went for is 55 in a one day game off 10.
This is all in my opinion obviously haha.

Mr Snrub

International Coach
get enough of us involved and it can be a mass debate...[DOUBLEPOST=1426092116][/DOUBLEPOST]in all honesty, it would be really good to get some idea as to the scope of a patch. Ross has said in another thread I believe "gameplay and co-op" which is cool, but a bit more detail would be lovely.

It feels to me that we're sort've at that point where it'd be nice to hear something even non-committal about the details of patch 3.

Threads like this could be more productive if we heard back when a good suggestion struck a chord with Big Ant. Simple comments infrequently like "great idea, but unlikely to be in this version sorry", "we'll give this one our best shot, but may not be in there" or "yes, this is definitely something we'd like to be in and at this stage it looks likely". It's just a little like shouting into the darkness at times now.

I've also thought that if Big Ant do tell us as an audience too much about what they're doing with Patch 3, we'll focus on those elements and keep offering suggestions that refine those elements rather than let our minds wander to wider and more perhaps unthought of concepts.

Still, once in a while, some insights into what might be keeping things with Patch 3 might even be good.

If it's that there are literally so many ideas they'd like in that they're often adding new things, that'd be nice to know.
Is it the functionality and balance of new features that're causing hurdles?
Is it stability and bug testing that's more of the issue?
Another games development that's simply got to take precedence for the short term.

Personally, I think Tru Blu have the gaming interests of Australasia (and of course profits if possible) at heart, although they seem to be a secretive "til we're completely ready" bunch at the best of times. My gut feeling is that we can only be told what's approved to be told from now on.

Throw in the fact that Ross was given a very hard time in the build up to release, patch 1 and patch 2, when he was trying his best to share everything he could and I reckon that's also a factor for keeping things under wraps for now.

The_Pharoah

International Coach
+1

There's 86 pages of regurgitated suggestions/requests. Even a list of the most common (good old 80/20 rule) with a yes/no/maybe next to it would I'm sure stop us from turning 86 pages into 186 pages.

Having said that...if there's ONE thing that needs to be in there, thats bowlers constantly changing sides when bowling (over/around the wicket).

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Am I the only one thinking there will be no patch three? Big Ant have surely made nearly all of the sales they are going to with this product, and I'm sure they have different projects on the go. It's been a year since release and we've had no word on a patch for, well six months since the last one. I reckon they've achieved what they wanted to with this title. True they told us 3 was going to be released, but things change.. You know EA told us Sim City was going to be fun to play.

Users who are viewing this thread