Research Tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radaga

International Coach
maybe there is a book on the stadiums or something?
if anyone has a library near them they should check it out.

Scatter

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
sorry boys - but i have been absolutely swamped with both work, and the production aspects of this game all week. i have dead set spent an eternity on it already...

with that in mind, an given how frustrating it has been trying to find some satdium info so i can start modelling, i am going to take the weekend off - and start again on monday.

the first thing i need to do is make some templates for the collation of research data. that way you will now exactly what is needed...

radaga - what's a book??? :D and a library??? :confused:

that will be laugh... i haven't been in a library since i was at uni... :o

good suggestion though - i will have to check it out...

MotorV8ed

School Cricketer
i have a map of the waca its an overhead...cant say how recent it is i dont know... maybe it could be of some use...

Attachments

• waca_map_2003.jpg
    waca_map_2003.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 208

Ritwik

co-founder
That is pretty good. It might not help in the modelling because I guess pictures would be needed for that but this might serve as a good starting point for anyone working on Perth.

Anyways, I am sure that all of you are working rather hard at this project but honestly, I would have thought that working on AI/gameplay was far more important. I can't say for others but I prefer a solid AI to mind blowing graphics any day.

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
one thing you need to remember though is that to make it feel like a real experience it has to look real too. Otherwise you could just play with a few progress-bars and meters.

Think about it.

SteveG

Club Cricketer
I think the AI and gameplay will be handled well, but that is for the dev team to work on...the research guys need to focus on getting the best data they can and as much as they can...in the end 90% of it might not be used, but at least it will be there in the first place.

Anything that might be useful, note it down. Pics, diagrams, a web site...anything really.

horner2693

Club Cricketer
a key factor aswell needs to be the atmosphere. you want to feel like its a packed 90,000 seater stadium aswell as you want it to feel like its 2,000 people watching a county game aswell.

SteveG

Club Cricketer
Is anyone else doing any research? And if so, what sort? Everything seems to have gone quiet.

Scatter

Club Cricketer
the quiet is my fault... i have deliberately not touched anything to do with the project all weekend coz i was gettin p?ssed at the difficulty with stadium info.

within the near future i will post/pm people with info regarding research...

Last edited:

MotorV8ed

School Cricketer
found this info on mcg....

The ground has a total of approximately 18,100 square metres in area and measures 169.7 X 146.2 metres in length from fence to fence.

the length of the cricket pitch is 22 yards, which in metric terms is 20.12 metres.(obvious info)

The ground holds 96 sprinklers and the fall of the ground is 1%. The grass is a mixture of couch and rye grass.

The light tower system comprises of 6 light towers which stand approximately 75 metres high (equivalent to a 24 story building) with the head frame a further 10 metres higher (85 metres overall).
The diameter reduces from 4.2 metres at the base to 2 metres at the top. There are between 12 and 14 landings connecting ladders inside each tower. The head frames of the towers are angled in at 15 Degrees in order to provide optimum levels of light.
if any of this helps ill try to find more...

Scatter

Club Cricketer
waaaaaaaaa heeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

the light tower height, combined with some pics will allow me to scale off the size of the grandstands. the floor plan layout (the top down view like the one posted above) will be scalable from the size of the pitch... :D

i might actually be able to start work on the G... :D

sam2002

PC Awards 2005 Best Breakthrough
its gr8 to know someone is developing a simulation CRICKET game:cool:

Don't even think of MODELS right now,first create a physics engine,then bits can be inserted anytime,The physics engine is more important,

Get the DX9 SDK/there are also some free engine to check out
Read some tuts on basic 3D
Build a Physics engine,build some basic things like pitch,ball,bat and get the physics right first.
Gamedev.net is good place to start learning.

good luck with the game.

bomber

Club Cricketer
I done the Australian stadium research for Michael Vaughans cricket some time ago now. What info I could not find online, I got from the Cricket venues myself by e-mail & fax, keep that in mind because I found them very helpful.

SteveG

Club Cricketer
I agree with that bomber...emails or snailmail...I'm sure most venues will supply details.

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
Originally posted by sam2002
its gr8 to know someone is developing a simulation CRICKET game:cool:

Don't even think of MODELS right now,first create a physics engine,then bits can be inserted anytime,The physics engine is more important,

good luck with the game.

Sam2002,

fyi, there are seperate teams working on modelling and coding - however, the modellers (seperate people from coders) are utilising their time to get a head start on the modelling which is a HUGE job - if they waited for the physics engine to be done first then the whole schedule will be pushed back. The modelling and coding can be worked on concurrently. But the physics engine is going to be our (coders) no.1 priority

LM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread