Russia to host the 2018 World Cup

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Yeah, I do. I prefer club football more than country football but that does not mean that I don't bother about the European Championships or World Cup.

To me, it makes no sense postponing a few league matches for the World Cup. Players coming back from the World Cup would be exhausted to immediately continue playing football for their club in the leagues. Another thing is that how do you expect the national teams to have a good preparation before the World Cup if it is held in January?

You can postpone the matches but would then have a chunk of matches to be replaced later which would be hectic and cause problems for clubs.

Scheduling would not be a problem for the clubs. Seeing as this is a good 12 years away, the clubs would have fixed something or the other by then.
Come on, this is a World event and the nations would want to put their best side forward. I don't see how clubs can overrule this decision given the ample time available to them to schedule matches.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
You honestly care about football leagues that much ? Man ,for the World Cup it makes sense to post-pone a few matches and I think most clubs would comply with the FIFA on this matter.

I'm club before country, and even if not everyone is that way, a majority would be angered if the domestic leagues were postponed for a few weeks. I'd definitely be unhappy with it. As would a majority of people in England, Germany, Spain, Serbia, Poland, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Turkey, France, Switzerland, Ukraine, Japan and Portugal just to name a few...

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
I don't see how clubs can overrule this decision given the ample time available to them to schedule matches.

Its the clubs that run football, thinking they'll be happy to allow Fifa to change things this dramatically is very naive.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
tbf Does it make a difference? :P You guys should be glad as hell to host your EPL and bunch of competitions. World cup is a good thing to be hosted in england, and i'd love to see it, but I'm not sure of the English fans. They'd not make it to the end anyway. :P jks.

KBC added 3 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

Firstly, to say that we should be glad to host our own league and a 'bunch of competitions is more that slightly daft - they're English competitions, so where else would you hold them? And what do you mean by 'I'm not sure of the English fans'? Because have no doubt, if we'd got the World Cup instead of Russia, there would be a major celebration, regardless of the weather and regardless of the time - unlike the completely deserted scenes we saw in Russia.

I wouldn't be so sure about England not getting to the end of the tournament were we to get it in 2030. Some of the older members here will remember the utter shambles the England cricket team were in around the early 1990s? The West Indies, Pakistan, India, Australia (of course) - indeed, pretty much everyone made us look a laughing stock both home and away.

Look at them now - 20 odd years later - and we've been a decent team since around 2001; the only team we had problems with was Australia and that was put to bed in 2005. 2030 is 20 years from now - plenty could happen to the England football team by then. Cricket is the nation's second sport - if it can emerge from the doldrums, so can football - our national sport. Things must change of course, at all levels, as it did with cricket - and it might well mean building over an extremely long period such as 20 years - because right now, the English game at International level is in a real mess.

Edit: Ask any English football fan (that isn't one of these Anti-England traitors) and you'll get your answer how much it would matter to us to have the top tournament of our game back in England.

MasterBlaster76 added 3 Minutes and 58 Seconds later...

If that happens, it would wreck all the football leagues and among other matters around the world.

You honestly care about football leagues that much ? Man ,for the World Cup it makes sense to post-pone a few matches and I think most clubs would comply with the FIFA on this matter.

I'm club before country, and even if not everyone is that way, a majority would be angered if the domestic leagues were postponed for a few weeks. I'd definitely be unhappy with it. As would a majority of people in England, Germany, Spain, Serbia, Poland, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Turkey, France, Switzerland, Ukraine, Japan and Portugal just to name a few...

It won't happen - simple. No way in hell. I'm a dedicated Utd supporter who is also passionate about England - but I would not want the Premiership put on hold for a month! Qatar too hot in the summer? Then you shouldn't have given it to them, Fifa you idiots!

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
It's going to be ridiculously hot during the World Cup in Qatar - the vast majority of people travelling there will not be used to such heat. Also, have you heard the rules there? I think Stevo made a post about it earlier in the thread and it includes gems like 'dressing modestly' (in other words, covering up in 50 degree heat) and no public intimacy - or you could be arrested. So if someone gives their girlfriend a kiss, that could land them in trouble. Good pick on what planet exactly??

Have you even seen what Qatar plans to build for the world cup or are you just speaking because the only thing you know about that country is that its in a hot place on the planet and that its a Muslim country thus conservative.

When South Africa was chosen to host the World Cup people were saying it was a bad decision and that they are too poor to host the WC but it appears to me that they did a fine job at it.

Is FIFA sopostu exclude Qatar from the running because they don't allow people to kiss in public? Wouldn't that be discrimination? Make fifa look like racists?

As for Russia, if anyone reckons they can do a better job than England, they're living in cloud-cuckoo land.

Glad I'm up above on cloud-cuckoo where tings make more sense rather then being where you are because obviously they don't make any sense to you.
Russia will do a fine job hosting the world cup. Do you think this is Russia first big gig? Do some research? The Olympic committee obviously thought that Russia can do a good job (so why should FIFA) thats why they got the 2014 winter Olympics an event even larger then the WC in terms of athletes, accommodations and logistics.

They've got about two decent stadiums, and one of them features a plastic pitch, and that's to go alongside the other issues holding a major tournament there would bring up.
They have already started construction or upgrades on allot of those stadiums and they are expected to be ready well before the WC gets going so you need not worry about that.
For a guy who seems to be an English supporter (and ManU at that) you quickly forgot that when the 2008 Champs League was played it wasn't played on that "plastic pitch" was it? Even tho in that same Champions League Spartak played on a turf pitch? But it was played in the same stadium...Seems these Russians are miracle workers or pitch swapping might just be more common than you might think. The only reason that turf exists is because of the Russian winter which would destroy a regular pitch and that would be a costly thing to replace 4-5 (maybe more) times a year. The WC will be played in the summer and on a regular pitch trust me on this, and btw the US was allowed to host the WC on turf pitches so why shouldn't Russia be allowed to host it on one stadium?

As for the issues about hosting a WC, I am clearly out of my league here since I cant see 8 years into the future like you.

Fifa: Flaming (or insert other 'F' word here) Incompetent Fools Association.

Would they be such if England got the WCs?

Last edited:

HawkAussie

Panel of Selectors
Hobart Hurricanes
Profile Flag
Australia
I'm quite happy that England didn't won the 2018 hosting rights.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I'm quite happy that England didn't won the 2018 hosting rights.

I see we have an ABE here - otherwise you'd at least expand on your reasons. ;)

@Dare:

Fifa have already backed up what I said about Qatar! They're planning on holding the bloody tournament in January or February! Why not give it to a nation with a more temperate climate, instead of turning the whole league season upside down?

As to your other question - Fifa will always be idiots - but if they'd given England the World Cup, they would at least be giving it to the nation most suited to hold the tournament. If Fifa gave Russia the World Cup because they had the best bid, then I'm the King of Mars. :rolleyes And the same goes for Qatar winning the bid over a country like Australia, who are ready to hold a World Cup.

As to Russia, I see they had some fairly major crowd trouble the other day. :rolleyes

I don't really care what Russia will have in eight years, because there's no way in hell it'll even come anywhere close to what we've got now - and you can add the Olympic stadium for one to that as well.

And as I said before, had a bid like Spain/Portugal - who would also do a great job - got the tournament, I wouldn't have been anywhere near as hacked off.

Fifa are anti England and that's an end of it. If not, then why have Germany had the World Cup twice since we last held it nearly fifty bloody years ago!!!! There are other nations that have had it twice as well - notably Mexico.

South Africa? They ruined the World Cup with their infernal Vuvuzela noise. Each match was deprived of its unique atmosphere - instead, every match sounded like you were stuck inside a beehive. I've never ever turned down the volume on football before, but this year I did for most matches. As the Telegraph said:

Red card – vuvuzela drone
Goal – vuvuzela drone
Foul – vuvzela drone
Yellow card – vuvuzela drone
Corner – vuvuzela drone
Charging for the attack – vuvuzela drone
Injured player – vuvuzela drone
Great defending – vuvuzela drone
Amazing save – vuvuzela drone

The anthem said 'sing, sing Africa' - yet there was no singing to be heard at the majority of matches. SA 2010 has been called the worst World Cup ever, so I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions as to the 'fine job' they did.

Glad I'm up above on cloud-cuckoo where tings make more sense rather then being where you are because obviously they don't make any sense to you.
Russia will do a fine job hosting the world cup. Do you think this is Russia first big gig? Do some research? The Olympic committee obviously thought that Russia can do a good job (so why should FIFA) thats why they got the 2014 winter Olympics an event even larger then the WC in terms of athletes, accommodations and logistics.

OK - tell me one way that Russia are more prepared to host a World Cup than England are - and will be in eight years time?

Last edited:

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think its not honest to speak about a country which hosts the 2018 WC 8 years later. They have time to build up and the same is with Qatar.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I'm not saying they won't improve, but I seriously doubt they'll be able to offer the level of tournament that we could offer right now, not even in eight years. As for Qatar, it's going to be just as hot in eight years - so Fifa want to hold it in the winter, thus turning our league season (and most of the world's) upside down.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
In England we have some of the best players in the world, some of the best teams in the world and the best league in the world (apparently). Do we really need a World Cup?

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
lol, I'm hugely disappointed England didn't get it. It was obviously the best bid I thought. I'm just trying to guess the reason as to why they didn't give it to England.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Media.

Blatter was quoted as saying during a private meeting amongst the voters before they went into the room to vote "Don't forget what the English have done to us" aimed at the media.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
In England we have some of the best players in the world, some of the best teams in the world and the best league in the world (apparently). Do we really need a World Cup?

Yes - we haven't had it since '66! Germany have had it twice in that time.

lol, I'm hugely disappointed England didn't get it. It was obviously the best bid I thought. I'm just trying to guess the reason as to why they didn't give it to England.

Media.

Blatter was quoted as saying during a private meeting amongst the voters before they went into the room to vote "Don't forget what the English have done to us" aimed at the media.

The media certainly didn't help - I mean, fancy airing a programme like that Panorama on the eve of the voting! If that's not shooting yourself in the foot, I don't know what is. Couldn't they have held it off for another couple of days?

I don't think it's just media though. It's Fifa's overall attitude towards England, and there's more than a whiff of corruption in the air over all this. Russia a better bid than England & Spain/Portugal? No chance. Qatar a better bid than Australia? You're having a laugh - and now they've realised it's going to be far too hot to play football there, they'll probably have to move the World Cup to the winter - have you ever heard anything more ridiculous? As I said right at the top, the whole thing stinks.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
I'm not saying they won't improve, but I seriously doubt they'll be able to offer the level of tournament that we could offer right now, not even in eight years. As for Qatar, it's going to be just as hot in eight years - so Fifa want to hold it in the winter, thus turning our league season (and most of the world's) upside down.

Thats why its 8 years in advance. Nobody is arguing that England at this moment could host a better world cup the any nation but this is 8 years from now.
In that time Russia can build all the things they promised and put on a grat show for the world.

Russia a better bid than England & Spain/Portugal? No chance. Qatar a better bid than Australia? You're having a laugh - and now they've realised it's going to be far too hot to play football there, they'll probably have to move the World Cup to the winter - have you ever heard anything more ridiculous? As I said right at the top, the whole thing stinks.

Again how can you tell how things will be 12 years from now? How the world cup is going to be organized and how it will play out in the end?

Allot of nations already take a couple of weeks off in the winter so whats will be the problem with extending it another 3 weeks or whatever and playing out the world cup at that time.
To you that is ridiculous, to others it might be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread