Australia can host Soccer World Cup

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
EXCLUSIVE

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has given Australia the green light for a go-alone bid to host the 2018 World Cup.

Under FIFA's rotational system for World Cup hosting rights, Oceania was scheduled to host the tournament in 2018, a scenario that prompted talks of a joint bid by New Zealand and Australia.

However, Blatter told The Sun-Herald that FIFA's continental rotational policy will be axed after the 2014 tournament, giving Australia the chance to host the event in 2018 alone.

"The World Cup is a serious matter," Blatter said. "There will be good contenders for 2018.

"China will definitely make a bid because if they organise the Olympics then they will want the World Cup, but there is the same to be said for Australia. The rotation system only goes until 2014. The rotation was a political decision to ensure the World Cup went to Africa, otherwise Africa would never have it."

Blatter ruled out a joint venture for 2018, saying that since Australia had been ratified as an official member of the Asian Football Confederation, it could not co-host the tournament with another OFC country.

Blatter said he welcomed bids for 2018 from Asia and especially Australia. "If I am still alive in 2018, I will be retired and I look forward to watching the games in a famous stadium, maybe in Beijing or maybe Sydney," he said.

AFC president Mohamed bin Hammam also backed a potential Australian bid for 2018.

"Naturally, Australia is part of Asia and it would be my dream to see 2018 hosted in Asia," bin Hammam said.

Asia last hosted the World Cup in 2002 in Japan and South Korea. Europe will host the 2006 tournament in Germany, South Africa takes the reins in 2010 followed by a South American country, most likely Brazil, in 2014.

Looks like NZ won't be seeing any WC games for quite a while. I hope Aus win it as soccer down here needs a real boost.

danny2502

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Austrlia to get the World Cup in 2018 don't be stupid football is coming back home to england in 2018 you guys don't stand a chance plus why do you guys think you deserve it any way

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
England don't deserve to host the World Cup anymore than Australia do. ;)
Good luck to the Aussies in their bid, time zones would be hell though! :D

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, it would be good to see a world cup in Aus, I think it could be a good possibility I would prefer to China. But also wouldnt enjoy the time difference much, but I guess I could start drinking early ;)

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
Well we call it soccer mainly because we are into better and faster sports (AFL>NRL) and nobody is that interested in the game.

But it would be pretty good if we hosted the World Cup, even though we totally suck at the game, we have the best facilities to hold it.

MWaugh

International Coach
australia have absolutly no right to host the world cup. as much as i would love to watch it and have it here in australia, we cant even make the bloody thing. at the moment we have good players in kewell, viduka, cahill etc. they will all be long gone by the time the 2018 cup comes along. we could be as bad as the islanders we play against.

australia only want to host the world cup because we have been trying for over 30 years to get in without any luck. they would be better off too stop winghing about how tough the draw is and make a team good enough to get in in the first place instead of taking it off countries who have worked hard to get where they are.

we dont even have a decent national comp. we have a comp of good amatures with 2 decent players, an aged ned zelic (newcastle) and dwight yorke (who is brilliant but old as well). it just doesnt make sense. put the resources into making better young kids first

sachin

International Coach
danny2502 said:
Austrlia to get the World Cup in 2018 don't be stupid football is coming back home to england in 2018 you guys don't stand a chance plus why do you guys think you deserve it any way
Because Aussies are ten times better to hang around with :D

andy82 said:
don't Call It Soccer You Aussie ****tard!!!!!!!
Don't write so big you silly pom :mad:

sid_19840

International Coach
Im not sure if Australia shd host it alone,if at all they host the WC it shd be hosted along with nz,so that the no. of venues increases.

MWaugh

International Coach
sid_19840 said:
Im not sure if Australia shd host it alone,if at all they host the WC it shd be hosted along with nz,so that the no. of venues increases.

new zealand didnt even qualify to play australia in the oceania playoff. that means that the soloman islands are a better football team that new zealand. they arent even in the top 2 of the oceania region. new zealand do not deserve the right to host a game at the football world cup at all. if that occurs its a disgrace to fifa and the world of football

danny2502

School Cricketer
the world cup should only go to countries who say football not soccer because football is the proper name for it soccer is a stupid puff name invented by the americans because there to stupid enough to think of a preoper name for there football

ENGLAND 2018
BACK THE BID!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Since we are now part of the Asian conf we will have much more backing. Time difference for the Asian countries is good to. The majority of the world (China) are in Asia thus no problem with the time zone. Who needs Europe. :D

sachin

International Coach
danny2502 said:
the world cup should only go to countries who say football not soccer because football is the proper name for it soccer is a stupid puff name invented by the americans because there to stupid enough to think of a preoper name for there football

ENGLAND 2018
BACK THE BID!
You poms would prollly just turn into some race hate riot :rolleyes: Thats why it should be given to us Aussies.

Users who are viewing this thread