2018 World Cup Bids

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
USA shouldn't have 2 World Cups within the space of 24 years. I'd be fine if Mexico had it. But a WC should be precious and it's host nation should be dead proud of hosting a World Cup, that won't happen in the States.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
m_vaughan said:
Well I think being bias towards Europe and South America wont allow increase the gap between them and the rest of the world. If you want the other countries to compete then you got to allow them to host the World Cup so as to generate more and more interest.

And about USA, I think WC 94 has made a considerable difference. Ofcourse it wont beat baseball and football (american), but it has definately more well known now than it was before.
I think thats more down to MLS and the Latin-American influence than the World Cup.

themuel1

International Coach
m_vaughan said:
Well I think being bias towards Europe and South America wont allow increase the gap between them and the rest of the world. If you want the other countries to compete then you got to allow them to host the World Cup so as to generate more and more interest.

And about USA, I think WC 94 has made a considerable difference. Ofcourse it wont beat baseball and football (american), but it has definately more well known now than it was before.

I don't agree with that. I agree that Asia should host a world cup more often as football is growing there - especially with them coming to the Premiership (i.e.Park). Other places like the U.S etc are big wastes of time.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
The problem with Asia is that apart from Korea and Japan football isn't that big and FIFA can't give them a world cup every 20 years

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
At the end of the day (to use an appropriate clich?) The rotation system is crazy. Any country that wants to submit a suitable bid should be able to and the strongest bid should be chosen. Countries shouldn't be given the world cup by default because its politically correct when other countries could hold a more superior event but aren't even considered.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
themuel1 said:
Why would the U.S want it? Also, is the game big enough in Ausralia? I'm not sure it is.

I'm sure we can fill out the stadiums if required.

kev said:
At the end of the day (to use an appropriate clich?) The rotation system is crazy. Any country that wants to submit a suitable bid should be able to and the strongest bid should be chosen. Countries shouldn't be given the world cup by default because its politically correct when other countries could hold a more superior event but aren't even considered.

The rotation system is alright in that it gives each continent a chance to host the big event. Without it Africa and Brazil would struggle to ever host a WC.

themuel1

International Coach
Africa shouldn't host it. How the hell can any country afford it without loaning from countries such as the U.S which surely disadvantages over the long run.

You have the stadiums in Australia - I was talking about how big the profile of the game is.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
It's not that big probably 4th/5th sport in the country with Cricket, AFL, Rugby Union and possible League being in front of it.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I think American countries did ok with world cup bids before the rotation system.

Hosts:

1930 Uruguay
1942 Was down to Brazil and Germany (No WC for obvious reasons)
1950 Brazil
1962 Chilli
1970 Mexico (Argentina Second Placed in Bids)
1978 Argentina
1986 Colombia (Colombia withdrew and WC awarded to Mexico)

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The United States hosted the World Cup in 1994, and even then fans left when the first goal had been scored because they thought a goal ended the match...

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Personally, I'm not a fan of co-hosting. Again this causes serious problems for fans. USA does not need a co-host (Any bid where USA is a co-host should be laughed out of contention), and if Mexico can't make a bid on its own it shouldn't be considered either.

2 small countries with a land border and free movement of travel between them would be acceptable. (Yes I know Mexico and USA share a land border) But only if there is a good reason for the tournament to be split.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
themuel1 said:
Africa shouldn't host it. How the hell can any country afford it without loaning from countries such as the U.S which surely disadvantages over the long run.

You have the stadiums in Australia - I was talking about how big the profile of the game is.
Yes it is, it might not be the biggest sport, but I guarantee you it would be packed if the World Cup came here, every game. At least 80,000 for the final, if there are enough tourists they might get 90-95. It's where Aussie1st said it was, 5th, behind AFL, League, Cricket and Union (pretty much in that order) and it's really not too far behind at the moment, it would only grow from the World Cup, assuming the popularity grows then by 2018 it would easily be able to fill stadiums regularly, especially for a World Cup.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
If a European country couldn't have it, Personally I would prefer it to be in Australia over an American Country, While it may not be the most popular sport there I'm sure it has a higher profile in Aus than in the US. Even though it would mean getting up early to watch the games.

Hmmmm now I think about it USA USA USA!!!! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread