Sep 23 - England v India

JD10

International Cricketer
Well obviously, pitches in this part of the word are majorly biased to the local sides because they turn a lot. But at the end of the day, the damage hasn't been that severe for us. Yes we lost. But in the last World Cup we got out played by Ireland, were written off by everybody and we won the thing. Add to that we play Ireland/West Indies and New Zealand next and we've got a great chance of getting through to the Semis, before we play Sri Lanka in the final game. Then who knows what might happen? It could quite easily be a England, West Indies, South Africa and Australia last 4, in which case we'd have a major chance.

Like I said, this result doesn't matter one bit, wait until we bomb out before getting all excited and writing us off completely.

Yeah I completely and utterly agree here! On the other hand say if it was in Australia on flat and hard decks with zero turn then the Asian teams could complain. Look at the teams we have to play. Ireland, WI, NZ. Only really Narine who really turns a ball big out of the teams there of what I can think of (even though Vettori is a very good and clever bowler)and look what happened to him when we played West Indies. Then Even if we do get to the final 4 and the 2 teams who MUFC said may get through they have no real turners of a ball so we should have no problem in that respect.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well obviously, pitches in this part of the word are majorly biased to the local sides because they turn a lot. But at the end of the day, the damage hasn't been that severe for us. Yes we lost. But in the last World Cup we got out played by Ireland, were written off by everybody and we won the thing. Add to that we play Ireland/West Indies and New Zealand next and we've got a great chance of getting through to the Semis, before we play Sri Lanka in the final game. Then who knows what might happen? It could quite easily be a England, West Indies, South Africa and Australia last 4, in which case we'd have a major chance.

Like I said, this result doesn't matter one bit, wait until we bomb out before getting all excited and writing us off completely.

Well yes all true. But given England's woes vs spin all year it was a very disturbing batting effort. One would have liked to have seen signs that they are learning from past struggles, but today was abysmal.

Last edited:

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Got back from work and had a look at the score. Good to see we don't miss KP at all... what with the fact that such an abject performance wouldn't have been salvageable regardless of whether it was KP or Superman :p

Let's not kid ourselves though, we have two players who can actually score runs quickly against spinners, and one of them isn't here.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Ugh, don't bring up KP. He's been painted as the messiah since he's not been in the team, but I don't remember him looking that good in the UAE against Pakistan last year, so I don't see how we'd suddenly be scoring at 10 an over against spinners with him in the side.

My main point though, this result does not matter one bit. Wait until we lose an important game before we write them off completely. Hopefully we get Briggs in the side for Dernbach in the next game though, that could be one positive to come out of this game. As well as Patel back being guarenteed I imagine.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I wasn't really being serious was I :rolleyes

I would suggest however that as one of the top run scorers in the IPL and man of the tournament at the last 20-20 he's clearly going to be missed by any nation that was missing him. Not exactly a leap of faith to suggest such a thing ;)

JD10

International Cricketer
Hopefully we get Briggs in the side for Dernbach in the next game though, that could be one positive to come out of this game. As well as Patel back being guarenteed I imagine.

This would be my team for the next game:
Kieswetter
Hales
Wright
Morgan
Bairstow
Buttler
Broad
Swann
Finn
Briggs
Dernbach

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I wasn't really being serious was I :rolleyes

I would suggest however that as one of the top run scorers in the IPL and man of the tournament at the last 20-20 he's clearly going to be missed by any nation that was missing him. Not exactly a leap of faith to suggest such a thing ;)

I never said that you were being serious. Just anyone bringing him up seems to result in everyone else piling in and telling us how great he is.

----------

This would be my team for the next game:
Kieswetter
Hales
Wright
Morgan
Bairstow
Buttler
Broad
Swann
Finn
Briggs
Dernbach

Dernbach was shocking today though. Personally I'd go with what you said, but with Bresnan in for Dernbach. But like I said, I think Patel is guarenteed to play. a) because he's a spinner and b) because he's deemed to improve the batting more than Bresnan does.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Dernbach is cack against any good batting lineup except for one in 50 he'll come off.

Big tournament for Buttler though. One quickfire score against the Saffers at the end of a long summer in a 7 over-a-side game doesn't gloss over his complete lack of anything resembling a clue in every other innings he's played so far at international level.

Last edited:

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
:clap This is what is going to happen to England over next few months

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
I guess the stark point to note here is that the pitch was not even that much of a turner ! There was fair bounce and carry, and Irfan got the ball the swing a fair bit too. With Sehwag, Zaheer and Ashwin rested, this was also an experimental Indian team.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Well well, I guess we can write England off after that display. One loss might not mean much, but when it's a thrashing from a fairly average Indian team, you're pretty much up the creek.

Australia's got their roll on, Sri Lanka flying under the radar as usual, even as hosts, so they will be the two finalists it seems. One of them will have the tough task of getting through Pakistan though.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
India-B team smash the defending World Champions to PULPPPPP!!!!!!!! :lol Now you know that we reserve our best for the best!

Rather, we reserve our reserves for the best :p.

Disappointing to hear it didn't mean anything apart from a confidence boost though.

Owzat

International Coach
How the hell do these groups work, all the top teams in one group and all the others in another? :facepalm

Probably the same 'genius' that designed the WC 2007 format which was a bonza success - NOT! :facepalm

On the other hand it is such as weak format that finishing top of the group is hardly conclusive, but since the sides that finished top did so there is nothing to suggest they aren't the best sides.

As for England, feeble display but then hardly conclusive either given they bowled pretty ordinarily and so pressure was on the batsmen. We sustained little pressure on them, three batsmen getting scores and too many wides. They got into our batsmen early and our middle order showed why we shouldn't play five bowlers

Users who are viewing this thread