SLIDERS - Around the world in 80 pitch sliders.....again

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
Tell you what, I've only just noticed that the spin bounce slider only affects "bounce" deliveries, it isn't universal to all spin deliveries.

I feel like such a fool.... :facepalm lol
In all fairness i would have thought the same as you.

I dont imagine many spinners often approach the crease thinking "im going to throw down a real bouncer here" :lol

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ooooeeee! This is my excited face! :-O

Can you tell? Ha!

Just plugged the base sliders straight into a grassy, medium pitch at Lords. Before I start, can I just say how awesome the ground looks?! Amazing!

Anyway, as always, no After Touch on the deliveries below, they're just straight balls on a normal length, no further input.

Look at this from Anderson:

20211211_153446.jpg
All about threatening those stumps!

Here's five from Broad:
20211211_153543.jpg
As discussed previously, Broad's height seems to make him England's bowler with the most bounce, but with After Touch, his standard delivery will be threatening the wickets on English style pitches as well.

Here's Archer:
20211211_153832.jpg
Delightful!

And a Big Eye from an Archer delivery as well:
20211211_153925.jpg
Oh that length and bounce! The slight movement off the seam. I'm in love!! :p

It's not all good, I should add, before I get too carried away. Here's an over from Joe Root:
20211211_154621.jpg
An age old BA issue with spin just not bouncing enough.

A short length bounce delivery didn't really get up either:
20211211_154716.jpg
It's something I can live with tho, there's worse problems to have.

In summary, I like this a great deal, and it excites me. Throw in some slightly more bowler friendly difficulty sliders, bit more swing, this is going to be ace. But the fact the base sliders are already looking good is very encouraging.

The thing I like the most is this just looks like it'll be different to playing in Australia. With the added bounce of a dry, hard pitch, the prospect of playing down under will require a different set up and approach. It'll suit a different type of bowler. That's what we're looking for.

One thing I do still want to test is to look at the relationship between pitch hardness and surface.

As in, does a dry hard pitch give the same bounce/behaviour as a grassy hard pitch, because they're both hard? What causes differences? What causes similarities?

Still, this is a great development. A good day!

@WealeyH

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
Exactly where you would want the height to be for a stock Jimmy delivery, nice - as you say, those other comparisons will reveal a lot more.

Spin bounce though certainly needs tweaking.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Ooooeeee! This is my excited face! :-O

Can you tell? Ha!

Just plugged the base sliders straight into a grassy, medium pitch at Lords. Before I start, can I just say how awesome the ground looks?! Amazing!

Anyway, as always, no After Touch on the deliveries below, they're just straight balls on a normal length, no further input.

Look at this from Anderson:

View attachment 259248
All about threatening those stumps!

Here's five from Broad:
View attachment 259249
As discussed previously, Broad's height seems to make him England's bowler with the most bounce, but with After Touch, his standard delivery will be threatening the wickets on English style pitches as well.

Here's Archer:
View attachment 259250
Delightful!

And a Big Eye from an Archer delivery as well:
View attachment 259251
Oh that length and bounce! The slight movement off the seam. I'm in love!! :p

It's not all good, I should add, before I get too carried away. Here's an over from Joe Root:
View attachment 259252
An age old BA issue with spin just not bouncing enough.

A short length bounce delivery didn't really get up either:
View attachment 259253
It's something I can live with tho, there's worse problems to have.

In summary, I like this a great deal, and it excites me. Throw in some slightly more bowler friendly difficulty sliders, bit more swing, this is going to be ace. But the fact the base sliders are already looking good is very encouraging.

The thing I like the most is this just looks like it'll be different to playing in Australia. With the added bounce of a dry, hard pitch, the prospect of playing down under will require a different set up and approach. It'll suit a different type of bowler. That's what we're looking for.

One thing I do still want to test is to look at the relationship between pitch hardness and surface.

As in, does a dry hard pitch give the same bounce/behaviour as a grassy hard pitch, because they're both hard? What causes differences? What causes similarities?

Still, this is a great development. A good day!

@WealeyH

Yeah I actually made the base sliders in England.. and they just worked for the Gabba. So that was handy. The spin bounce doesn’t really make too much difference unless it bothers you looking at the Hawkeyes. It again though causes a few unique dismissals.

The big test is whether the AI struggle on these pitches more. Windies got 400 against me but was a sunny hot day. So potentially wicket chance may or may not need tweaking for England!

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
Im going to plug the base sliders on P1 in for a test at Trent Bridge, England v Windies, ill report back with how it plays. Interested to see if the TB pitch offers any difference to Lords.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Im going to plug the base sliders on P1 in for a test at Trent Bridge, England v Windies, ill report back with how it plays. Interested to see if the TB pitch offers any difference to Lords.
Excellent. Keep us posted, and let us know your AI sliders for match difficulty, wicket chance and run rate with the findings.

kutty1005

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
In all fairness i would have thought the same as you.

I dont imagine many spinners often approach the crease thinking "im going to throw down a real bouncer here" :lol
Dear Mate's
Did you apply skill perks ? if anyone assists the right perks for Batsman/Bowler / All-rounder / Batting all-rounder / Bowling All-rounder ?
Maybe it will work really?

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
End of day one, pictures first then thoughts.

I won the toss and bowled on a grassy, medium pitch, Veteran AI, Hard bowling (& batting) difficulty, AI run rate 25, wicket chance 35.

Lunch Day 1...

1639335802045.jpeg

Tea Day 1...

1639335821577.jpeg

Close Day 1...

1639335836997.jpeg

Bowling Figures...

1639335851075.jpeg

Thoughts...

They were basically never below 4 an over all day, no matter what plans i tried, what fields i set etc.

As you can see, only 5 maidens all day, i lost count of the number of times i had five dot balls and no matter where the sixth ball was bowled theyd crank it for four, the classic BA bullshit of many years gone by.

This is with the AI run rate as set above at 25, so i dont know what is causing this, just poor, lazy AI coding logic i assume.

Nothing to the keeper, only two edges to the slips for wickets and they were odd, bat pad type shots off quick bowling, no genuine nicks to the cordon or keeper at all.

Two of the wickets were run outs with direct hits from the boundary - just silly.

I also lost count of the number of leading edges that flew like exocet missiles to the boundary square, hugely unrealistic.

Not sure where we go with this, from this evidence?

Shot force down further?

AI run rate etc?

Interested in your views @Rumple43 @WealeyH

Wealey

ICC Board Member
End of day one, pictures first then thoughts.

I won the toss and bowled on a grassy, medium pitch, Veteran AI, Hard bowling (& batting) difficulty, AI run rate 25, wicket chance 35.

Lunch Day 1...

View attachment 259335

Tea Day 1...

View attachment 259336

Close Day 1...

View attachment 259337

Bowling Figures...

View attachment 259338

Thoughts...

They were basically never below 4 an over all day, no matter what plans i tried, what fields i set etc.

As you can see, only 5 maidens all day, i lost count of the number of times i had five dot balls and no matter where the sixth ball was bowled theyd crank it for four, the classic BA bullshit of many years gone by.

This is with the AI run rate as set above at 25, so i dont know what is causing this, just poor, lazy AI coding logic i assume.

Nothing to the keeper, only two edges to the slips for wickets and they were odd, bat pad type shots off quick bowling, no genuine nicks to the cordon or keeper at all.

Two of the wickets were run outs with direct hits from the boundary - just silly.

I also lost count of the number of leading edges that flew like exocet missiles to the boundary square, hugely unrealistic.

Not sure where we go with this, from this evidence?

Shot force down further?

AI run rate etc?

Interested in your views @Rumple43 @WealeyH

They are never above 4 with me so I can’t work it out haha.. also wicket chance on a grassy deck prob needs bumping up. What was their timing set at?

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
What was their timing set at?
Whatever the default on Veteran is, just checking...in fact ive just found the problem.

1639339791828.png

Its not saved my settings i made in the main menu to my custom difficulty, or if it has its reverted, an issue ive seen others in the main thread have?

Another BA bug.

Thatll be why they trotted along at 4.2 an over.

Right...try again.

Ill start a new test later, to change it up this time we'll go England v New Zealand at Headingley, same grassy medium deck, and ill check the right settings are being used before proceeding...

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
Lunch on day one as i win toss and bowl...

1639348412185.jpeg

Yet again, RR easily above 4.

I checked the settings often to make sure they havent reset and they have not.

I really dont know how you are seeing the realistic run rates you are @WealeyH , its simply always this way for me, bizarre.

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
Tea, and a good session in which we took four wickets, including a lovely thin edge to Buttler and Broad sending some stumps cartwheeling. Overall RR down to 3.8 now due to the wickets but still too many what feel like forced shots because im tying them down.

Pitch bounce is definitely fine at these settings though @Rumple43, the base settings seem to work fine in England on this pitch too, i guess the analysis needs all the other pitch types as well to form a fuller opinion.

1639353113297.jpeg

Rain94

School Cricketer
Whatever the default on Veteran is, just checking...in fact ive just found the problem.

View attachment 259339

Its not saved my settings i made in the main menu to my custom difficulty, or if it has its reverted, an issue ive seen others in the main thread have?

Another BA bug.

Thatll be why they trotted along at 4.2 an over.

Right...try again.

Ill start a new test later, to change it up this time we'll go England v New Zealand at Headingley, same grassy medium deck, and ill check the right settings are being used before proceeding...
I posted about this issue several days ago. For the AI Base difficulty setting, it doesn't matter what you have it set to, be it rookie, veteran, or legend, the Timing, Wicket chance, Bowl Quality, and Run Rate all remain at 50. It's definitely bugged or a really poor unintuitive User Interface.

Edit for clarity: I'm on PS5 and as I'm switching between all the presets (Rookie, veteran..), they remain at 50's not that it doesn't save. It saves my custom values fine.

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
I posted about this issue several days ago. For the AI Base difficulty setting, it doesn't matter what you have it set to, be it rookie, veteran, or legend, the Timing, Wicket chance, Bowl Quality, and Run Rate all remain at 50. It's definitely bugged or a really poor unintuitive User Interface.

Edit for clarity: I'm on PS5 and as I'm switching between all the presets (Rookie, veteran..), they remain at 50's not that it doesn't save. It saves my custom values fine.
Im checking every few overs, its sticking for now.

Users who are viewing this thread