South Africa in Australia Nov-Dec 2012/13

ferg512

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Siddle looks a lot slower only low 130s for most of the day, maybe the vegan diet hasn't worked out so great after all lol

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Even 8 overs short 3.1 doesn't feel like a great scoring rate. I expected SA to take the Aussies apart more.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
I want to kill those selectors why they don't play Alister McDermott :mad

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Even 8 overs short 3.1 doesn't feel like a great scoring rate. I expected SA to take the Aussies apart more.
I felt Amla was a bit rubbish to watch actually. Kallis was a lot better up to about the last hour, when I guess he decided he wasn't going to get get out to a medium pacer who was only bowling because the light had gone.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Looking forward to the weekend chilling out on the sofa watching this. Although I hear it might rain tomorrow.

I think a run rate of 3 is pretty standard fare these days. Expect SA to kick on and bat the Aussies out of the game tomorrow.

spooony

Club Captain
I felt Amla was a bit rubbish to watch actually. Kallis was a lot better up to about the last hour, when I guess he decided he wasn't going to get get out to a medium pacer who was only bowling because the light had gone.
maybe because Amla played the anchor role and Kallis could come out more. You must remember it rained the night before and there was something in that wicket. Australia just did not have the bowlers to take advantage of it.

War

Chairman of Selectors
That first day's place was a staggering de ja vu to the first test south africa played in England @ the oval this year. Australia just have to hope that the de ja vu ends their, or else things can get very ugly.

Very unfortunate stuff for Duminny also.

----------

No doubt we deserve to be #1 if we beat South Africa. The only real misstep since the Ashes was the drawn 2 match series against NZ, which was a fluke on their behalf anyway. If we can't go on to reclaim the Ashes, then I'd say we don't deserve it, but the rankings will probably reflect that anyway.

If the ranking system maths didn't come out & say that Australia could become # 1 if they win this series. Then Australia would never have come into this series regurgitating the flimsy belief that they could achieve this task.

Lets not forget after Australia won in the Caribbean earlier this year in very scratchy manner, the talk was the team was still in rebuilding mode. Nothing has changed in the past 6 months to redefine that premise other the faulty ranking system.

Beating sri lanka @ home, who have been struggling @ home since murali retired. Drawing vs new zealand. Drawing in a 2 tests series in south africa, which told us nothing. Beating a weak & ageing india & winning vs a ipl weakened windies team that ran aus close. Is not a combination of results that should propel AUS anywhere close to # 1 right now, after the poor set of results between Ashes 2009 - ashes 2010/11.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Strange stuff. Hope it isn't too serious, for Duminy and South Africa's sake.

He's out of the match and out of the tour :( South Africa will need their 4 fast bowlers to fire now, Duminy was plan B with the ball against all those Aussie lefties.

It also shows that for all the handwringing by Aussie fans, that Australia didn't bowl that badly. Nothing special, but there wasn't a lot of loose stuff either.

Three decisions of LBW going against Australia, one of them being overturned. Maybe the DRS should use these LBW's as reference when Australia's batting

Well yes, the indirect effect of losing those umpires calls is that Bowden and Rauf should THEORETICALLY be just as reluctant to raise the finger for LBWs when Australia is batting.

What is with McGrath? He struggles to finish his own sentences/talk.

I agree, he's not great. Then again, it was his first day... Just doesn't seem like a natural speaker, so it's an interesting choice by both Nine and McGrath if they see him having a bigger role in future. I just wish they could find a South African to put in there and bring some balance to it.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
If the ranking system maths didn't come out & say that Australia could become # 1 if they win this series. Then Australia would never have come into this series regurgitating the flimsy belief that they could achieve this task.

Lets not forget after Australia won in the Caribbean earlier this year in very scratchy manner, the talk was the team was still in rebuilding mode. Nothing has changed in the past 6 months to redefine that premise other the faulty ranking system.

Beating sri lanka @ home, who have been struggling @ home since murali retired. Drawing vs new zealand. Drawing in a 2 tests series in south africa, which told us nothing. Beating a weak & ageing india & winning vs a ipl weakened windies team that ran aus close. Is not a combination of results that should propel AUS anywhere close to # 1 right now, after the poor set of results between Ashes 2009 - ashes 2010/11.

If the maths had said we'd not be #1 after winning this series, we would instead be asking wtf not?

There's only a handful of countries with any kind of chance, and so far not only have we not lost a series since the Ashes, we've been beating some of them on their own soil. SL doesn't count because there's no Murali? The Windies because we didn't smash them and some of their "team" prefers money over pride? Indians are too old?

I suppose when we beat England that won't count either because their egos are so inflated that they can't perform as a team anymore.

So we basically have to schedule our series so that we're only playing teams when they're full of worldbeaters in prime form, otherwise they don't count.

There's still the matter of beating South Africa here and now before we achieve the rank anyway. It's not like it's Zimbabwe and we're going to walk all over them and be #1.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
@sifter: I didn't realise it was that serious. South Africa would be allowed to call in a replacement now right?

It's a new day, so let's hope Australia goes hard at South Africa and get some early breakthroughs otherwise, South Africa will get away from us.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
The mail on cricinfo (from people that live in Brisbane's CBD) is that play is unlikely for today. Good and bad I guess.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
12.30 pm The lunch break is finished and it's still drizzling at the Gabba. Firdose Moonda tells me the teams are back at the hotel now. So chances of play in the near future look quite bleak.

From cricinfo. Chances of play are not looking good.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag