TAOC Alpha Pre-Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrisb

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
i don't mind what you do next,

although i want good gameplay, i'm also quite focussed on the graphics, because i would like a game that not only offers realistic play, but looks realistic in terms of player models and kit.

criticise me all you want, but that's my opinion.

D

Deleted member 11215

Argh whats the point in posting a video if we'll be able to play it soon enough anyway we all know what to expect. Without trying to be a dick about it just concentrate on the game because its going to come out long after the deadline anyway now.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Posting an image or video teaser doesn't take too long...
You seems to be acting hypothetically....(Sorry for being rude:facepalm)

@JK,man please release a teaser video if you can but bit longer than the previous one:p....
That is pretty ignorant, because it does take a lot of time. First you capture the video, then edit it if you want to include multiple shots / animations (Or in the past, as Karthik has done, adding commentary and sound) which takes a pretty hefty chunk of the time. Then the video is compressed and converted to a format, which can also take long though apparently LM's PC is pretty fast. Still, it can take around 5-10 mins. Then uploading it on the servers, takes time. Round it all up and you have generally an hour or two, in which they could be bringing the Alpha MUCH closer to release.

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
Guys, we are trying to get a video ready for y'all, which will include sound ;)

So please bare with us...

The actual alpha is going well, but still a few things need to be completed. The good news is the work we're doing toward the alpha is all stuff that was critical for the final game anyway, so none of this is wasted time. in fact we've created some brilliant new stuff along the way, especially regarding the batting.

Hopefully the video will hold back the mob long enough for us to get this demo out!! :help

Lm

P

pcfan123

borat-very-nice.jpg

cnbd_novice

International Coach
The actual alpha is going well, but still a few things need to be completed. The good news is the work we're doing toward the alpha is all stuff that was critical for the final game anyway, so none of this is wasted time. in fact we've created some brilliant new stuff along the way, especially regarding the batting.

Lm

Sounds like you should've started on the Alpha sooner. :D

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
Man, I've been putting a lot of hours into this thing, but I can say it is soooo well worth it. After play testing each change I make, I have now had a fair bit of time to play around with the thing and these are my observations so far:

* physics are bloody awesome! Surprised even me, cos I thought they would be good, but they have exceeded my best expectations :) I have had so much variety I'm just amazed. Variety I have had so far includes sweeping, getting an under-edge and having it hit my stumps, blocked but the ball rolled back onto my stumps painfully slowly - I could only watch in horror!(need to have an option to make the player kick the ball away!) , and I have had bump balls too, which is so cool to see :)
* The game runs very smoothly on my rig (which is old by today's standards) - runs well over 60FPS but is so crisp and smooth, just wow. My rig is around 3 years old now: Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Nvidia GF8800GS (384MB). This is at 1280x768 on highest graphics settings - 16xAA, Full AF, Trilinear filtering, full shadowing/lighting etc etc. There was not one jerk. I should mention though that your video card should support physics calculations, such as modern Nvidia GPU's with PhysX. Due to the intense physics calcs framerates may suffer if the CPU has to do the load rather than the GPU.
* The alpha download should compress down to under 100MB hopefully (uncompressed would be more like 400MB+ or so)

Also, last night I have added '3D lines' in to show the path of each stroke you do. It will record all the paths and have them hidden by default. You can toggle the paths on or off by hitting the 'L' key. This way we can prove the ultimate variation in strokes. Let me tell you, if this doesn't silence the critics nothing will ;)

Also implemented the batsman charging last night. Now when you charge, the charging animation is merged into the next shot animation you play so the charge will have a smooth transition into any subsequent stroke.

I'm still working on basic AI and camera tracking but we hope to get a video out asap once the cameras are sorted.

Thanks again for your patience.

Hellgood

School Cricketer
Man, I've been putting a lot of hours into this thing, but I can say it is soooo well worth it. After play testing each change I make, I have now had a fair bit of time to play around with the thing and these are my observations so far:

* physics are bloody awesome! Surprised even me, cos I thought they would be good, but they have exceeded my best expectations :) I have had so much variety I'm just amazed. Variety I have had so far includes sweeping, getting an under-edge and having it hit my stumps, blocked but the ball rolled back onto my stumps painfully slowly - I could only watch in horror!(need to have an option to make the player kick the ball away!) , and I have had bump balls too, which is so cool to see :)
* The game runs very smoothly on my rig (which is old by today's standards) - runs well over 60FPS but is so crisp and smooth, just wow. My rig is around 3 years old now: Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Nvidia GF8800GS (384MB). This is at 1280x768 on highest graphics settings - 16xAA, Full AF, Trilinear filtering, full shadowing/lighting etc etc. There was not one jerk. I should mention though that your video card should support physics calculations, such as modern Nvidia GPU's with PhysX. Due to the intense physics calcs framerates may suffer if the CPU has to do the load rather than the GPU.
* The alpha download should compress down to under 100MB hopefully (uncompressed would be more like 400MB+ or so)

Also, last night I have added '3D lines' in to show the path of each stroke you do. It will record all the paths and have them hidden by default. You can toggle the paths on or off by hitting the 'L' key. This way we can prove the ultimate variation in strokes. Let me tell you, if this doesn't silence the critics nothing will ;)

Also implemented the batsman charging last night. Now when you charge, the charging animation is merged into the next shot animation you play so the charge will have a smooth transition into any subsequent stroke.

I'm still working on basic AI and camera tracking but we hope to get a video out asap once the cameras are sorted.

Thanks again for your patience.

Wow. Just wow.

P

pcfan123

yea I think I am finally getting an idea of the amount of dedication and detail going into this project. Feel like an ass for my earlier posts in the TAOC threads.

If the physics are anywhere near what LM just said then I have no qualms about this game being able to compete with AC09 and CR

ballers101

Club Cricketer
LM your getting me so eager to test the game out man lol its sounds like this is going to be one of the greatest cricket games ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread