TAOC Discussion

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
Online Cricket Games Owned
@ to all those who have offered assistance, thank you very much - i will be in contact once I am at that stage of development that requires your skills and knowledge. For the meantime though i wanted to post this little FAQ up detailing some..well...facts about the project:

FAQ
------

1) what is the name of the project?

the name of the game is still yet undecided though i have some nifty ideas floating around...for the meantime it will be known as "The Cricket Project" ;-)

2) when will it be released?

there is no official date set yet. It is a project i have been working on for over a year now and still have much work to do...but i would hope by the end of 2006

3) where is it currently at?

So far, the game is still very early on, though some really hard obstacles have already been crossed...these include basic stadium structured model, bowling, bowling models / animations, batsman models, game engine skeleton, ball physics for bowling and (almost) batting, cameras (incl free cam)...and most importantly the structuring of the code to allow for easily 'tweakable' values to modify things such as velocity/pace, all spin types, swing, reverse swing, pitch wear and tear etc. As I type this, I am currently working on refining the batting physics and 'unlimited variety' of strokes. These all need to be animated too, so this stage is going to take a while...

4) where comes after the batting stuff is completed?

After the batting, i will be working on getting the keeper and umpire models done and working on fielding. After fielding will come AI (IMHO the 2 most important areas of a cricket game are physics and AI).

5) graphics are ok, but could be better?

I realise i can always improve on the graphics - the trade off though is time...so i plan to get the game working mostly first i.e. playable , before improving the graphics / cosmetic factors...remember gameplay is the key factor here

6) will it be freeware? What license?

Unfortunately i have not yet decided what it will be. Whilst i would love to be compensated monetarily for my hard work i am not necessarily against releasing it to the community for free. I will not make this decision until near completion, or at least until a playable demo is released. At this stage I am only focusing on getting the game completed - too often people jump the gun and organise everything in advance and never actually complete their projects.

7) Is there a website?

Hopefully I will have the site up in the next few weeks. I will post here when it is up and ready

8) we have seen so many other projects fail, why should this one go all the way?

Good question. This project has been ongoing for a while now, and the fact that I am over the hardest hurdles now, means i only have hard work to do now. I know i CAN do all the rest, so it is just a matter of time, literally. I have come too far and invested too much to not complete it.

9) Are you a cricket fan?

Yes. I have been watching / enjoying cricket for the last 20 years of my life

--------------------

some other things to note:

* I need to focus a lot of time on the game, so if i dont make an appearance on the forums for severals days or whatever, dont assume the game is dead ;-)

** I do not require any programmers, only 3d/2d modellers / artists and researchers at this stage. As i mentioned before let me know if you're interested and I will contact you as soon as i am ready for that stage of the game.

-LM :onpc

tassietiger

International Cricketer
You're doing well, make sure you keep persisting, because it'd be a shame if this game went to waste.

Also what are you using to program (outside of the 3d modelling)

legend_master

more screens

these will be the last screens for while, i gotta work more on the game itself! ;-)

@Tassietiger - it's based on a C/C++ foundation, but i am using some 'middleware' for low-level hardware APIs, which saves me tons of time and having to 're-invent' the wheel unecessarily.

regards,

LM.

PS: forgot to mention in the FAQ that collision is done too...i.e. the bat can detect for perfect collisions with the ball as can the stumps...this was a nightmare but is now all sorted.

more - different angle

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 409
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 392
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 385
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 377
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:

sid_19840

International Coach
I think that the screens look great and this seems to be a great game in prospect,hopefully we can have more members assisting so that it takes lesser time for the game to complete.Once again I wish all the best to the development of the game.

Paelleon

School Cricketer
I wish, now more than ever, that my skills lay more along the IT route than marketing and pure mathematics.

I just noticed this thread now, and it seems brilliant. I, quite literally, cannot wait.

ps. I type this with my back in spasm after a 2 hour bowling session that took place after a break of about 4 years. What's worse - I couldn't get my line and length at all right; and eventually resorted to bowling my lollipop off-spinners. I did knock middle stump twice with those off-spinners tho'. My point - it bloody hurts.

Good luck again. I hope this comes to fruition.

legend_master

Well, little update here...

i) my website will be up very soon, hopefully by the end of the week...will probably not look that great to begin with, but i'll be putting lots of content on there i.e. video captures etc.

ii) I have perfected the ultimate physics for batting...i cannot believe how well this turned out (trying to remain humble) OMG! I can now make the bold claim that any particular shot can possibly end up in over 1,000,000 different locations i.e. what this means is essentially unlimited variety of shot placement. So singles and 2's and 3's will all be way more likely than 4's and 6's..

iii) thanks heaps to JK16_4 for his help with bat textures - looking excellent!

finally, thanks to everyone for the excellent feedback...it really helps to have encouragement like this when faced with such a daunting task as I have undertaken. I believe the support of the community will make sure this project does get completed.

cheers,

LM

FreddieFan

International Coach
legend_master said:

i) my website will be up very soon, hopefully by the end of the week...will probably not look that great to begin with, but i'll be putting lots of content on there i.e. video captures etc.

ii) I have perfected the ultimate physics for batting...i cannot believe how well this turned out (trying to remain humble) OMG! I can now make the bold claim that any particular shot can possibly end up in over 1,000,000 different locations i.e. what this means is essentially unlimited variety of shot placement. So singles and 2's and 3's will all be way more likely than 4's and 6's..

finally, thanks to everyone for the excellent feedback...it really helps to have encouragement like this when faced with such a daunting task as I have undertaken. I believe the support of the community will make sure this project does get completed.

cheers,

LM

Can't wait, sounds brilliant. Keep up the good work.

langerrox

International Coach
legend_master said:

cheers,

LM
Fantasic, is it possible to make advance down the wicket turn into a chip shot, and for the power shot to legside make it a huge hack like KP

Users who are viewing this thread