• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I think England would be happy to be around 270ish for the loss of 5 wickets at close of play. If they remain at 4, I see them reaching close to 290 which would be a terrific effort.

England are here to win, not compete mate. I watched the first session and it was really hooting around. I watched the first half of the second session and it had quickened up a lot but it stopped hooting around. I haven't been able to watch the cricket after, but commentary seems to suggest that the batting has gotten easier combined with those three quicks tiring. England must go into the second day 4 down. I say this because their bowling isn't the greatest and the first session will see the ball move around and the bowlers fresh. I think logic says England will lose at least two that session if not 3. The target must be 500 and 425 as a minimum to put Australia under pressure. For that, these two need to not only see out the day but also score 40-50 runs.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
England are here to win, not compete mate. I watched the first session and it was really hooting around. I watched the first half of the second session and it had quickened up a lot but it stopped hooting around. I haven't been able to watch the cricket after, but commentary seems to suggest that the batting has gotten easier combined with those three quicks tiring. England must go into the second day 4 down. I say this because their bowling isn't the greatest and the first session will see the ball move around and the bowlers fresh. I think logic says England will lose at least two that session if not 3. The target must be 500 and 425 as a minimum to put Australia under pressure. For that, these two need to not only see out the day but also score 40-50 runs.
True. When I said "happy" I meant being content after being 4 down for not much. It would be sort of a recovery.

I don't think England will cross 400 though, so they will really have to bowl their heart out if they are to have even a slight chance to win the Test. It's not gloomy yet but not bright either for England as things stand. That's why today's last session and the first session tomorrow might well decide the course of the match.

B

Bigby Wolf

The biggest positive came out today for England is how they played Nathan lyon so far. Traditionally there isn't much for the spinners at the WACA but England have really done well not allowing Lyon to settle and scoring runs at more than 3 rpo against him.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
massive partnership this. Malan looking impressive.

agree with kushal i love yjb and glad he's moved up but would see him higher happily.

anyone see the Vince dismissal? Note it was another caught behind but was it a typical Vince wicket?

It was as Vince-esque as Vince could.

Haven’t watched a lot of Malan, hows he playing? Suited to international cricket?

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Malan and Bairstow must think 200 and 150 here from personal POV!

Malan has made his 100 and proved his worth. BUT, he must make a 100 more for England! 400 is not enough. The target must be 500+.[DOUBLEPOST=1513244916][/DOUBLEPOST]Bairstow has to bat 4. He's just way too good to be batting anywhere beyond 5 and I think 5 also isn't justice to his talent. He rather come in 130/2 than 130/4!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Malan and Bairstow must think 200 and 150 here from personal POV!

Malan has made his 100 and proved his worth. BUT, he must make a 100 more for England! 400 is not enough. The target must be 500+.[DOUBLEPOST=1513244916][/DOUBLEPOST]Bairstow has to bat 4. He's just way too good to be batting anywhere beyond 5 and I think 5 also isn't justice to his talent. He rather come in 130/2 than 130/4!

yeah with the pace in the outfield, we need way over 400. as someone said on TMS coverage - the 300 at Brisbane was worth 400 at WACA... and as we saw that was nowhere near enough.

these 2 are good enough to each get those kind of big scores, and need to show it. hopefully YJB will be inspired by seeing Malan get the 100 and go big himself.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
yeah with the pace in the outfield, we need way over 400. as someone said on TMS coverage - the 300 at Brisbane was worth 400 at WACA... and as we saw that was nowhere near enough.

these 2 are good enough to each get those kind of big scores, and need to show it. hopefully YJB will be inspired by seeing Malan get the 100 and go big himself.

Why do you call him YJB?

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
it's his nickname - Yorkshire's Johnny Bairstow... (or for lancastrians, Young Johnny Bairstow...)

I'm not from yorkshire, but YJB is quicker to type.

Sweet! I'm a bit of a fan of his. Really want to see the gloves taken off him. I like the make of Ben Foakes as well. Can you enlighten me on Overton? I found him below average in the first test. He definitely isn't quick.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Sweet! I'm a bit of a fan of his. Really want to see the gloves taken off him. I like the make of Ben Foakes as well. Can you enlighten me on Overton? I found him below average in the first test. He definitely isn't quick.

i don't know much of overton to be honest. what i've seen and heard of him, he used to be a bit quicker (i believe his twin was even quicker) and the english coaches got that out of him, leaving him neither quick nor accurate enough.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
i don't know much of overton to be honest. what i've seen and heard of him, he used to be a bit quicker (i believe his twin was even quicker) and the english coaches got that out of him, leaving him neither quick nor accurate enough.

LOL

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
How on earth can we close on such a high? TGTBT. Malan and YJB are both definitely getting skittled out in the first sesh tomorrow.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Having watched the Stoneman dismissal, i think it is one of the most incompetent or corrupt pieces of officiating I have ever seen.

usually think Aleem Dar is a good umpire but that was disgraceful.

Bottom line is, you don't overturn a decision without conclusive evidence that the on-field decision was wrong. there was no conclusive evidence, AND he made the decision before he had seen all the angles.

It probably did flick the glove that was on the bat, (though there was a longer delay than usual between passing the glove and the snicko spike) but absolutely no way there was enough evidence to overturn.

Users who are viewing this thread