RACING The new F1 game from Codies

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Not really comparable. GP4 was trying to be a sim, whereas this isn't even trying to be. What I will say about this game is it really does capture the atmosphere of F1 brilliantly. I don't think any game has really made you feel part of it quite like this game does.

It isn't 'GriD with F1 Cars' though, is it? So the cars don't feel anything like GP4 then?

Sureshot

Executive member
I reckon week after next, it's in final testing now based on Steve Hood's (I think he's T4RG4 or whatever it is!!)Twitter feed.

Patch is out on PS3 for the UK.

Sureshot

Executive member
Yes and yes. Been out for about a week and it's made a lot of difference. Still some issues that need correcting, but the main ones are fixed imo. The AI in the Wet is still inconsistent, but the game is far more playable. Punctures are now at a reasonable rate, the AI for pit stuff is great, etc.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
I'm very tempted to get that. Even though it won't work on this laptop I'm expecting to get a proper desktop soon and I might splash out on a joystick a bit further down the line.

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I've just bought it, should be ready in 2 hours - then there's the patch to install as well of course. :)

harrisb

International Coach
It's much better with the patch, shame that the bugs that were in the original release weren't noticed beforehand though.

Anyway, it definitely makes the game much more enjoyable.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
It's a very good game, but one thing that really stands against it (on PC at least) is the fact that it seems you can't fine tune an Xbox 360's pad sensitivity - as I suspected due to the things I was reading about it. The handling isn't bad, but it could certainly do with a bit of tweaking. Why just give advanced settings to wheels? Every other racer I've ever played has allowed the tweaking of gamepad sensitivity as well as wheels.

I wish they actually had trackside marshals waving the flags, instead of the sign appearing at the top of the screen. The game is so realistic - the exit sequence from the garage is brilliant (apart from the fact you can't control the car yourself in the pit lane - why? I would've thought part of the experience of 'living the life' is having to manually drive in and out of pit lanes?)

Also, the engineer keeps telling me to copy my team mate's setup - how the heck do I do that?

It isn't 'GriD with F1 Cars' though, is it? So the cars don't feel anything like GP4 then?

Going back to my own quote, it's definitely not GRiD with F1 cars and I think the cars don't feel that different to GP4's - handling's a bit easier, and it feels a bit 'loose' (but that's down to the pad's sensitivity needing tweaking). It is certainly a very solid base to build a really good F1 franchise on.

One other thing - where's 'The Chain'? It's an official F1 game, yet it hasn't got the official BBC theme tune - has anyone modded that in yet? That theme tune is F1 to me!

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member
I think you can copy car set-up if you go to team-mate section when in-garage, though I may be mistaken.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I'm pretty sure that line is a bug - the patch changelog says that it's fixed an issue where you're told to copy your team mate's setup.

Great game this, a real solid foundation for a great franchise. :)

Are there any mods you'd recommend?

harrisb

International Coach
I've seen a couple of overlay mods on the forums being shown, but i don't know where you'd go to get them.

Sureshot

Executive member
I'm pretty sure that line is a bug - the patch changelog says that it's fixed an issue where you're told to copy your team mate's setup.

Great game this, a real solid foundation for a great franchise. :)

Are there any mods you'd recommend?

I'm on PS3, so no mods here.

11th at Shanghai in the Lotus earlier (Maximum difficulty, all aids off, etc). Good race, but realistically miles away from 10th (30 seconds over 50% race distance).

Users who are viewing this thread