West Indies in England

Rangeela

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ian Bell and Simon Jones have been called up for the fourth Test against the West Indies, which starts at the Oval on Thursday (August 19). Bell will replace Graham Thorpe, who suffered a hairline fracture in the little finger of his right hand while batting during the current Test, in the squad.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
I know Thorpe played a good innings, but I think Freddie should have been Man of the Match. Maybe because he was named Man of the Match at Edgbaston (where I thought Giles should have been named Man of the Match, but he too might have missed out here as he was named Man of the Match in the 1st Test at Lords), he missed out this time. But Thorpe's 114 was also very very crucial.

Also great to Steve Harmison pick up four wickets in the 2nd innings, and hence end up with 5 wickets in the match. Should push him back to no.2 in the PWC Bowlers Ratings.

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
I don't know, Key has been in stunning form (both domestic and international) so Butcher will probably have to work hard for a spot in the English starting 11.

jonah

International Coach
The man of the match was a tricky one. I agree vaughanie that Freddie was very much in for the award, as indeed was Bravo for his 6 for, but I felt in the context of the match Thorpe's innings was magnificent, especially given the fact that he broke his finger yet initially refused to let his pain be shown. He still batted on bravely after that, knowing the situation we were in at the time. He really is irreplaceable, as you say; a true master with the bat. (Also being a Surrey player 'bigs him up' for me!;) ).
Good to see Key and Freddie giving some back to Edwards and Bravo just before the tea interval; fiesty stuff!
As for Butcher, although he is one of my favourite players I can't see him getting back in for Key once he's fit again. He'll have to wait his turn, for someone to get injured or lose form. It's a nice situation though to have for England; competition for places does no harm at all, especially now the likes of Bell are coming through too.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
key hold the key, to england future! butcher is class, but key deserves at least a few more matches in test side

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
England dint play all that well today, but still managed to reach 313-5 at the end of the days play. England were 64-3 at one stage, before Vaughan(66) and Bell(70) were involved in a crucial 4th wicket partnership. Freddie has also scored his half century, and is unbeaten along with Geraint Jones.

rocklara

International Coach
Well I will prophesy here, congrats to the english boys, and again to all english supporters on planetcricket, as u guys have comprehensively established the first whitewash of a pathetic team in 80 odd years. 4-0 was always on the cards, it was great to see a test match finish in 2 and 1/2 days here, but really i feel sorry for the fans cuz some may have paid for 5 days
and will only get to see 2/1/2:(

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
well its not over until its over....remember ind v australia...laxman and dravid?

but take nothing away from england. what a performance. ian bell, what a debut!, steve harmison, what a bowler.robert key, what a catch!, michael vaughan, what a captain!

england....WHAT A TEAM!!!

rocklara

International Coach
It was great to see that man in my avatar play probably his last test innings in england, it has been great. It wasn't one of his best series, but still will remembered as one of the greatest, if not the best batsman ever to play the game. I dont think it is retirement, but it was a great site to see.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
BC Lara is the best batsman in the world currently....there is absolutely no doubt about it. He has just been made to do the most difficult job in International Cricket. I am not sure how well this same Windies side would have fared under the likes of Ponting, Ganguly and Fleming. So it is really harsh to blame Lara all the time.

But take nothing away from England.....the best team in the world. GO ENGLAND!!!!

Australia who???

Users who are viewing this thread