West Indies in Australia

angryangy

ICC Chairman
They're already in the country, so the thread may as well be started.

The West Indies bring a full strength squad, save perhaps the left arm swinger, Pedro Collins, who had success in the 04-05 VB series.

There's a keen top order, featuring the dashing Chris Gayle, "two eyed monster" Shiv Chanderpaul, the legendary Brian Lara and the lone right hander in the top order, the ever improving Ramnaresh Sarwan.

There's also a host of bowlers, expected to be by the now vindicated firebrand Jermaine Lawson and Corey Collymore, their lieutenants to be selected from fellow young guns Edwards, Best and Powell. Dwaynes Bravo and Smith can put in some medium pace, while Chris Gayle and Marlon Samuels will provide the only spin options.

"Potential" seems to be the buzz word of this Windies side and true to form, they bring with them 20 year old Denesh Ramdin, who some say may be one of the best keepers in world cricket.

So, can this "potentially" great side present any troubles for the established brilliance of the Australians?

West Indies squad Shiv Chanderpaul (capt), Tino Best, Dwayne Bravo, Corey Collymore, Fidel Edwards,Chris Gayle, Wavell Hinds, Brian Lara, Jermaine Lawson, Daren Powell, Denesh Ramdin, Marlon Samuels, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Devon Smith, Dwayne Smith
Schedule

Oct 2005
Thu 27 - Sun 30
Queensland v West Indians, The Gabba, Brisbane
Nov 2005
Thu 3 - Mon 7
Australia v West Indies, The Gabba, Brisbane
Fri 11 - Mon 14 Victoria v West Indians, The Junction Oval, Melbourne
Thu 17 - Mon 21
Australia v West Indies, Bellerive Oval, Hobart
Fri 25 - Tue 29 Australia v West Indies, The Adelaide Oval
Dec 2005
Fri 2 Prime Minister's XI v West Indians, Manuka Oval, Canberra

irottev

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I hope West Indies do well. They are a very good side but havn't been winning lately.

Sureshot

Executive member
very good side? We talking about the same west indies?

They'll lose every match. Va Aus anyway.

MWaugh

International Coach
australia will probably clean sweep this 3-0. i only hope that brian lara makes some runs on his last tour to this country as he has been a treat to watch and is the best batsman to have ever played the game.

the batting lineup looks strong but the west indian bowling options have been pretty much pathetic for quite some time. they need to look at developing a quality spinner. the days of ambrose, walsh and the benjamin brothers have gone.

all the top countries have a really good quality spinner (in most cases 2). thats one place where the windes are really found wanting

squiz

International Coach
Thread Stickied!

Hoping for a good show from the Windies, a not tests ending in 3-4 days (ie. That pathetic World XI team)

brad352

Executive member
MWaugh said:
all the top countries have a really good quality spinner (in most cases 2).
England?

3-0 for me, can't see them putting up too much resistance even though we've got some problems in the bowling department and also our middle order. Bring back Marto!

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Australia and New Zealand have elite spinners. England, South Africa, West Indies and the rest don't (well, RSA kinda do, but they don't use him).

Last I checked, Pakistan, India and Australia were the only countries with multiple spinners of that quality.

The West Indies' current crop of pacemen are all in their early-mid 20s. If two of them prove to be of an elite level, then the team can build around that.

jdbais

International Cricketer
The West Indies are unpredictable which should make this an interesting series. I think WI will lose but I don't think it will be the thrashing that everyone is predicting.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Pakistan have an "elite" spinner?? Who??

anyways, im rooting for the Underdogs, West Indies! CMON LARA! :happy

Sureshot

Executive member
brad352 said:
England?

3-0 for me, can't see them putting up too much resistance even though we've got some problems in the bowling department and also our middle order. Bring back Marto!

When Giles retires we will, most likely Loudon imo, has alot of potential.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
The bowler to watch for of the West Indian side is Collymore. He really troubled Pakistan in West Indies. Every ball of him felt like a contest. For example: it felt like Warne's balls against England in the fourth Test, where each ball of him was a serious threat to the batsman.

Edwards got injured during the test against Pakistan, so I hope he can now show his early talent he showed during the Test.

I hope Lara resurrect again, because West Indies really need him. But still I am predicting a whitewash from Australia.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I wonder what the Aus attack will look like. From the reports it seems like it will be the same attack as the one that beat the World 11.

Users who are viewing this thread