Review Why this game is so close yet so so far...

• Thread starter Deleted member 11215
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11215

Right had the game for a few weeks now so feel I can come to a fair conclusion.

The Good:

- 20/20 games are fantastic and play really realistically with me having some of my best moments ever on a console winning a 20/20 with a ball to go with my no.11.

- Stadiums look beautiful

- Can produce great games

The Bad:

- Tests

- Stats are messed up to the extent i question the mental wellbeing of whoever was incharge of assigning them.

- Probably not worth trying to bowl with spinners

- Cannot edit England or Australia

The Ugly:

- Stupid runouts

- Bowling speeds are just wrong

- Bowling lengths are just wrong

- Edges are great! (the whole 10cm they carry)

- The AI makes me play backfoot shots when i select front foot when i play a shot to cow corner getting me out often.

What I most hate about this game is how close it is to being a genuinely brilliant game yet it seems to be fundamentally flawed. Yes im sure the next edition will be great if Codies stick with transmission but i dont really want to pay ?80 to get a good game in another 2 years when a game that wasnt forced out so quickly could have easily been that outstanding base to build upon.

Any comments? Agree? Disagree?

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden28

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Absolutely, totally agree.

The biggest upside of this game is also it's biggest downside; potential.

It's so nearly is brilliant but it isn't. It so nearly could be one of the best but it isn't. And that makes it annoying and frustrating.

It's the video game equivalent of Stan Collymore.

All the talent and potential is there, it just can't be bothered.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
haven't played it yet,
But to be honest Game maker wouldnt put there 100% into Cricket due to the people who buys this game is less, until other Sport and other games there Company makes.
we just lucky they are making Cricket game, dont mine they are not 100%. at least we are getting to play Cricket :) .

But the 2007 of Codies was de worst, i will have to play this one to see how it is.

Sureshot

Executive member
Absolutely, totally agree.

The biggest upside of this game is also it's biggest downside; potential.

It's so nearly is brilliant but it isn't. It so nearly could be one of the best but it isn't. And that makes it annoying and frustrating.

All the talent and potential is there, it just can't be bothered.

A bit less likely to shag Ulrikka Jonsson though!

ammar

Club Cricketer
Totally agree you with mate.
I would say that I got the game mainly to play test matches as it's main aim should be Tests. Tests are a complete joke.
I was playing Ashes First Test as England and in the 2nd innings, after 5 overs, Australia were 82-3 on the second day about 4PM. This is the first full test match I am playing. I got them for two hundred odd all out by the start of Day 3. Need to complete my batting to chase out one hundred odd now.

PhilD123

International Coach
Remind me never to take it on a car journey with me then. :D

That's a pretty spot on review there, it really does feel like there is a quality game in there and it is still good, but things which really should have been found through testing really stop it from fulfilling it's potential. Most annoying is probably that back foot shot to cow corner one when you've pressed for a front foot shot.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
- The AI makes me play backfoot shots when i select front foot when i play a shot to cow corner getting me out often.

Thought I was the only one, good to see I'm not :)

And agree this game has been made for T20, probably would have been better off getting the T20 licenses.

D

Deleted member 11215

I'm still just not sure with this game. Im yet to play an ODI because as wierd as it sounds im almost scared to play one because i know its probably too long for the AI to act sensibly. If that didnt make sense what i mean is that in a 20/20 I can groom the AI to get a good score for me to chase but in an ODI i fear they'd give their wickets away or just go mental and get something like 500. The game feels like a newborn child you feel you need to be over protective with and not take any risks.

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
Right had the game for a few weeks now so feel I can come to a fair conclusion.

The Good:

- 20/20 games are fantastic and play really realistically with me having some of my best moments ever on a console winning a 20/20 with a ball to go with my no.11.

- Stadiums look beautiful

- Can produce great games

The Bad:

- Tests

- Stats are messed up to the extent i question the mental wellbeing of whoever was incharge of assigning them.

- Probably not worth trying to bowl with spinners

- Cannot edit England or Australia

The Ugly:

- Stupid runouts

- Bowling speeds are just wrong

- Bowling lengths are just wrong

- Edges are great! (the whole 10cm they carry)

What I most hate about this game is how close it is to being a genuinely brilliant game yet it seems to be fundamentally flawed. Yes im sure the next edition will be great if Codies stick with transmission but i dont really want to pay ?80 to get a good game in another 2 years when a game that wasnt forced out so quickly could have easily been that outstanding base to build upon.

Any comments? Agree? Disagree?

I'm so glad I didn't buy this junk of a game.

It just seems to me that Codemasters/Transmission are not all that professional and have employees who are just not very good at their job. It really shows in this 'cricket' game.

The silence from them since release has been deafening - again, in keeping with that lack of professionalism.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Yes, it has it's flaws but the fact that with a 360 controller you can play pretty much anywhere is a big point for me. Lots of the other cricket games flaws included stroke play and the AI. The AI chase down runs fast, and the stroke play is awesome which makes it the best cricket game by far in my eyes. There are other flaws but I'm not really worried with them even though they effect the game - they aren't involved in a match as much as playing shots and when stroke play was a problem it made the game really annoying to play.

Bowling is fun too. Really hard which compensates well for the easier batting.

Users who are viewing this thread