BBCFootball.png

Last Updated: June 28th 2008

email.gif
E-mail this to a friend
print.gif
Printable version

BENITEZ RESIGNS AS LIVERPOOL MANAGER

_40280217_benitez_203.jpg

Liverpool Manager Rafael Benitez has walked out of Anfield after over 4 years in charge. There are suggestions that Rafael Benitez's relationship with the Liverpool board had hit crisis levels, leaving the former Valencia manager with no choice other than resigning.

This decision followed after two days of talks between Benitez and club owners Tom Hicks and George Gillet. Talks began just two weeks after the end of the season, in which an annual meeting led to Benitez walking out of Anfield, and shortly after Benitez's departure was announced on Liverpool's official club website.

Reportedly, Rafael Benitez had many angered talks with the two owners regarding the transfer budget. The owners had given him huge budget to cope the gap between themselves and Manchester United and Chelsea. Rafa used the money to buy players like Fernando Torres, Voronin, Benayoun and Babel. But the results didnt come and Liverpool ended in the fourth position. Rafa demanded more money from the owners for the coming season but the owners refused to give him any more and asked him to sell his own squad players to increase the transfer-kitty. Benitez disagreed with the owners and decided to resign as manager of Liverpool.

Rafael Benitez was unavailable for comments, however an official statement from Tom Gillet admitted that himself and Rafael Benitez were on two different levels.

"Liverpool Football Club can confirm the departure of Rafael Benitez, in which Rafael asked for his contract to be terminated. After two days of talks, discussions led to a break-down of Rafael Benitez's discontent with Liverpool, and he decided that it'd be best for himself, the club and the fans if he was to step down from his managerial position."

"The rest of the board and myself would like to thank Rafael for his contribution over the last 4 years, in which he guided us to Champions League and FA Cup glory and a top four finish in three of the four season. However, the club and Rafa were on two different levels in which myself, the board and Rafa had different aims and wishes. We want to be a big club that has European as well as League ambitions, yet we couldn't support Rafa any further this season in terms of a lot of money until he got the players he bought from last season fit and ready to play."

"We are now fully concentrating on bringing in a new manager to Anfield, and there will be no further comment until that appointment is made."

It isn't known whether or not some of Benitez's backroom staff have left, however it seems that Assistant Manager Sammy Lee will, or has already left the club.

Rafael Benitez's time at Anfield has always been a time of ups and downs. Taking over Liverpool in June 2004, where Liverpool were a major force in England. However, mixed results left Liverpool in trouble. Benitez has always been criticized for his poor squad selections and his poor rotation policy.

audio_text.gif
Former Liverpool player Steve McManaman

"It's something which many saw coming, and many didn't. Benitez -- forgetting the fact with his discontent with the board -- had a tough time at Anfield. The challenge he has had was immense, and in my view, he did a fine job here, and whatever way you look it at it, he guided us to both Champions League and FA Cup victory."

"Still, the fans didn't enjoy the football we played, and the board were obviously not happy that a lot of their money had gone into players who hardly produced results.

It is now thought Rafael Benitez will take managerial job of FC Barcelona or the Spain National Side after the departures of Frank Rijkaard and Luis Aragones.

Ironically, Kenny Dalglish, another former player, has become the favorite to land the job. Dalglish who quit football managing in 2000 after managing Celtic has decided to returm to football. Dalglish was also present at Anfield two months ago to watch Liverpool entertain Merseyside Rivals Everton.​

note I am continuing my Formula One story also.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
elemtc.jpg

WHO"S NEXT FOR LIVERPOOL

2afbbd5.jpg

commentOnThisArticleButton.gif

After 4 years in charge, Rafael Benitez has walked out of Liverpool. Benitez guided Liverpool to Champions League and FA Cup victories and also in the top four in the premier league, but after board unrest and disagreements, Rafa decided he had enough. Fan support for Benitez always seemed to be divided, with many fans supporting Benitez on guiding to two Champions League finals and winning one of them and also winning the FA Cup once, and others not being happy with Benitez's rotation policy and signings.

So who's next for Liverpool?

Kenny Dalglish is the bookies favourite. The former Liverpool player and manager quit managering in 2000, but could return this year to become the new Liverpool manager.

Frank Rijkaard has left FC Barcelona after a poor season finishing 3rd in the La Liga and being knocked out of both Copa Del Rey and Champions League. Rijkaard admitted he would love to become a manager of a premier league club.

Roberto Mancini
is a firm outsider for the job. After recently leaving Inter Milan, he also admitted his love for the English game. Could we see Mancini swap Milan for Merseyside?

Steve McLaren the former England boss could make a surprise return to club managemant after a very poor performance with England which saw England not qualifying for EURO 2008.

Kevin Keegan
is the current Newcastle United manager could make a return to his former club Liverpool where he played 230 games and scored 68 times. Surely many of the fans would love him back.

So, who off that list do you want to see become Liverpool manager? Should Liverpool stick with former Liverpool men? Do Liverpool need to find a foreign coach to take them further as a club?

comment by Liverpoolrox!!!

The wise decision would to be go for someone which we know can do a job and can get success. Frank Rijkaard would be perfect, but would he come here? Kevin Keegan would be a fantastic choice in my view. We know he can get success. With his strong connection with Liverpool, I'm sure he would jump at the chance of coming back. Steve McLaren please not him or we would be relegated. Kenny Dalglish would surely be a great choice also.

comment by Sappy Sam

If we can get Frank Rijkaard, then get him. Imagine what Rijkaard could attract here. With money from the board, I'm sure he could quickly turn us into Premier League as well as European Contenders, and I'd love some Dutch flair at Anfield.

comment by mr_Red

Its real shame Rafa has left. He won us Champions League and FA Cup tites. Yeah he has made many wrong decision tactically but he has also produced many big wins especially the final against AC Milan in Istanbul. Well I still feel Rafa could have done lot for the club. But King Kev would be the best one to replace him.

comment by Merseyside Blues!!

Haha McLaren would be the best choice for Liverpool. He is a class manager and would love to see Liverpool with him.​

Mad Snake

International Coach
nice start mate, a nice line up of new possible managers there, liverpool are in safe hands :)

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Nice work mate, but not so sure about that comment from "Merseyside Blues" Sounds like an Everton supporter to me I dont know why he would want to see a class manager at Liverpool ;)

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
That's the whole point lads. He's saying that he would love to see McLaren at Liverpool because he's rubbish ;)

saladguy

PCPL Season 2: Outstanding Performer (Division 2)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Keegan for Liverpool! He would be awesome at Anfield!!!!!!!

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
BBCFootball.png

Last Updated: 29th June 2008

email.gif
E-mail this to a friend
print.gif
Printable version

DALGLISH RULES HIMSELF OUT

_40968485_dag.jpg

Kenny Dalglish last night pulled out of the running to be the next manager of Liverpool. He admitted he had received a telephone call from Liverpool owner George Gillet to ask if he would be interested in the job but said he had declined the opportunity.

The former Liverpool player, a heroic striker in Liverpool's 1978 Premier League and Champions League win, claimed he had too many other commitments on the go.

His surprise decision leaves Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan as the clear favourite to succeed Rafael Benitez, who decided to quit after 4 years in charge, three weeks after ending the premier League on the fourth position.

Dalglish, 57, made his declaration from the MOTD pundits' sofa at half-time during last Euro 2008 quarter final match between Italy and Spain. 'The situation was, and is, that I was very flattered to have got a call off George Gillet at Liverpool,' said Dalglish.

'He asked me if I would like to be included on a shortlist for the manager's job, which I politely declined because of a lot of commitments, one of them this one.

Asked by MOTD host Gary Lineker if the time was still not right for him to launch a comeback in management, Dalglish replied: 'No.'

The decision hands the initiative to Keegan, who flew back to England this week after a family holiday in Australia.

Like his former Liverpool colleague Dalglish, Keegan said he was 'flattered' to be linked with the vacant Barclays Premier League job after not so impressive spell with Newcastle, who finished at the twelve position last season .

But the 57-year-old former Liverpool, Hamburg, Southampton and Newcastle United striker insisted there had still been no approach from Anfield.

"I've not spoken to Liverpool,' Keegan told BBC Radio's 5 Live. There's nothing concrete. It's flattering to be linked with any job, especially with one of the Premier League top four, so it goes to show that I have done Ok in my management career. I am not sure about the situation at the moment and I would come o know about it in the coming two or three days. But still then I am enjoying my time with my family ."

Newcastle United already knew they face a battle to hold on to their highly-rated boss who has said he wants to resign. Manchester City are also interested, with City chairman Thaksin Shinawatra making his admiration public, but Keegan has refused to be drawn on a move to the City of Manchester Stadium , fully aware of Liverpool's developments.​

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Dalglish would have been a fantastic choice as manager, so it's a shame to see him decline. Seems Keegan is the front runner, and he wouldn't be a bad choice. Although if we wanted someone who would definitely deliver I would go for Roberto Mancini. Will be interesting to see who lands the job.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
skylogo_default.gif

LIVERPOOL APPROACH KEEGAN
30th June 2008

keegan_looks_300x400.jpg

Liverpool have made an official approach to talk to Newcastleu United boss Kevin Keegan about their managerial vacancy.

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley revealed to Sky Sports News that he has been approached by Liverpool counterpart Tom Hicks with regards his promising manager.

Keegan has been linked with several positions higher up the football pyramid since first impressing with Newcastle United and he had some successful seasons as Fulham manager .

Ashley insists he has not spoken with Keegan since Liverpool's approach, as he is currently not contactable as he is away on a family holiday.

He did, though, confirm that he has in the past received several approaches for keegan - all of which were rejected by the sought-after tactician.

A Magpies statement, released later on Sunday evening read: "The club can confirm that Liverpool have made an official approach to speak to Kevin Keegan about the vacant managerial position at Anfield.

"As has been well-documented, this is not the first time we have had to deal with interest in Kevin's services - and given his achievements as a manager, it comes as no surprise that we find ourselves at this juncture again.

"Kevin is currently away on a family holiday, and we will address the situation with him upon his return tomorrow."​

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
So Keegan is the likely Liverpool manager. Would be a good choice I think but I feel that Dalglish would of been a better choice, had they got him. Still, Keegan will become so much better at Liverpool and with his player management skills he can take them far.

Good updates, Shan.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
First of all, Keegan is a good man to look at to take charge of the most successful football in England. And I think its good on Ashley's part to come out and reveal everything officially. Although he is going to have to try his best to keep Keegan at the club to keep the fans happy.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
BBCFootball.png

Last Updated: 31st July 2008

email.gif
E-mail this to a friend
print.gif
Printable version

LIVERPOOL NAME KEEGAN AS MANAGER

_44361404_k_game300.jpg

Liverpool have named Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan as their new manager, who will succeed Rafael Benitez, who left his post only three days ago.

"We are delighted to announce Kevin Keegan as Liverpool manager. After the departure of Rafael Benitez, we looked straight into the market for a new coach, and Kevin was always our first choice. Kevin is one of the best managers in European football, and after enjoying a wonderful time here at Anfield just over 25 years ago, we are extremely glad to have him back." a club statement read.

Kevin Keegan only recently was offered a new two year extension at Newcastle United, yet it seems that the departure of Rafael Benitez, the offering of the job was too good for Keegan to turn down. Keegan, who enjoys a gowning reputation in football, after taking having some successfull years with Newcastle United and Fulham and playing attractive free flowing football, was also linked with the Manchester City role now taken by Mark Hughes.

The Magpies boss, who made 240 appearances for Liverpool in a spell that lasted just over eight years, has always signaled his intent of joining one of the top four in the Premier League, and has always mentioned his love for Liverpool as a club, labeling it in past interviews as "the best football he has played".

The Newcastle manager quickly became the favourite for the job yesterday, when Newcastle United Football Club told Skysports that Liverpool had approached them for talks with Kevin Keegan to become their new manager. Rumours quickly surfaced that Keegan would reject the proposed move, yet today the first official statement announced that Keegan had became Liverpool manager.

As well as Keegan, former Scotland and Liverpool player Kenny Dalglish, former Inter Milan boss Roberto Mancini and former Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard were all linked with the vacant position, and it seemed that Dalglish was the front runner before admitting he was not ready to make a comeback as a manager, but Kevin Keegan's name was always being mentioned with the vacant position.

Speaking before the appointment only yesterday, Newcastle United and former Liverpool striker Michael Owen said: "To lose our manager Kevin Keegan will be a big, big loss. He's a fantastic manager, that has done already a wonderful job here. He is destined for big things, and I suppose that the attraction of a big club like Liverpool, one of the Premier League football top four and possible big transfer money could mean he leaves. He's always said how he loves Liverpool and his country, therefore to leave after a great job at Newcastle and take over Liverpool is a definite possibility, and if he does, he'll do very well."

BBC Radio 5 Live football correspondent Jonathan Legard said that Kevin Keegan will do a good job at Liverpool, but admitted he would of loved to of seen Kenny Dalglish back at Liverpool.

"Kevin Keegan has done a terrific job at Newcastle and Fulham. With his passion for football, and his passion for Liverpool, plus money I'm sure he'll receive, I have no doubts that he can do a great job at Liverpool, and it was always written in the stars that the club he'd return to would be Liverpool."

"Still, the one man I would of liked to have seen is Kenny Dalglish. The press are missing Mourinho, well, Dalglish could of been even better. However, the sensible choice has been made, and for Liverpool, they have done a fantastic job of getting Keegan on board."

Keegan is enjoying a family holiday in Sydney in Australia and so Keegan has made no official statement. He would be unveiled as Liverpool manager on the 1st of July when he returns from his later today. The Premier League fixture for the new season would be revealed on the 2nd of July 2008.​

Users who are viewing this thread