BBCFootball.png

Last Updated: 1st July 2008

email.gif
E-mail this to a friend
print.gif
Printable version

KEEGAN UNVEILED AS LIVERPOOL BOSS

_44522733_keegan_prespoirs512.jpg

Kevin Keegan claims it was an easy decision to leave Newcastle for Liverpool after being unveiled as the new Reds boss on Tuesday morning. The former Newcastle United and Fulham manager was confirmed as Rafael Benitez's successor on Monday after signing a 3-year with the Reds. The 57-year-old is a Liverpool legend after spending 7 successful years as a player at Anfield was delighted with his reception by Liverpool fans.

"I am absolutely delighted to be here," he told today's press conference. "I have already had some great support from the fans and I'm pleased with the positive reaction to the appointment. They will know from my experiences as a manager that my teams work extremely hard and are committed, but I am an advocate of attacking football. The players that have played for me week-in, week-out in the past are technical players that play the type of football that I want to be played. Hopefully the fans will see that very quickly in the teams that I will produce. It was made plain to me very, very quickly that there was a huge project here that I wanted to be part of," Keegan added. "It was a very easy decision for me. I am at a club that matches my ambitions."

When asked if players such as Gareth Barry and Roque Santa Cruz will be joining him, he laughed and said that he will not discuss any transfers or board room changes until they happen, like any respective manager in football.

Further talking about Rick Parry, Keegan admitted that he is the person that support you, not hinder you: " The way I see it though is they are there for support, and not people that will hinder my time here. Rick Parry is involved with some fantastic players -- Javier Mascherano and Fernando Torres are two examples, who have brilliantly performed for us -- and if Rick Parry can offer me players like that -- again, I won't be complaining. Remember, I don't have to sign the players they offer me, they are just there for me to look at"

BBC Sport also asked Keegan about his experience of and his time at Newcastle: "Without being the manager of Newcastle, I wouldn't be here today. I appreciate every moment and every minute I was in charge of Newcastle, and in only three-and-half years, I had some of the best highlights of my life. Newcastle are a fantastic side, that I still don't think are appreciated enough. Newcastle United have some great players like Michael Owen, Steven Taylor who are deserved players playing for a much better team . Whoever takes over Newcastle is a lucky man, but I'm here at Liverpool now, and I just hope that I have built the Newcastle United up well for a very good future."

Finally, he was asked if former Liverpool player Kenny Dalglish would come back in alongside him: "[laughs] Kenny was a wonderful player, and his passion for the game, and Liverpool in particular is immense. I was surprised when he rejected the offer of the job."

"(laughs) Would the Dalglish/Keegan combination work? Who knows? Like I mentioned, I don't want to discuss the future of any staff or players, so until I appoint my assistant manager and coaches, you'll have to speculate until then".​

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
So, Keegan is the new boss. May be a tough start, getting to know the players and such, but if they can really pull together then they may have a chance of silverware this season. I don't think it will come via the Premiership, but if they get a good run in the Champions League, FA Cup or League Cup then 'King Kev' may have a succesful first season.

Will be interesting to see who he brings in this summer...

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
BBCFootball.png

Last Updated: 1st July 2008

email.gif
E-mail this to a friend
print.gif
Printable version

McMAHON APPOINTED AS ASSISTANT MANAGER

_797832_mcmahon300.jpg

Former Liverpool player Steve McMahon has become the first man to join Kevin Keegan's new regime at Anfield, as he has become King Kev's new assistant manager.

Steve McMahon has signed a three year deal at the club, which will keep him under contract until 2011. McMahon, who rejected the offer of being the new manager of the club and stated it was overwhelming being chose as Assistant Manager by Kevin Keegan in itself.

"I'm honored and overwhelmed about being chose to become Kevin's assistant. I was contacted by the club in June, and after quick contract negotiations, I was able to sign myself a three year contract. I didn't wanted the managerial position, as I wasn't the right man for the job in the eyes of Liverpool. However, to become Assistant at Anfield, and to learn my trade going into management is wonderful. I'm here for three years, and whether I'll be here for longer is not known, as I do want to become a manager myself in the future."

"I just cannot wait now, until that first game of the season, where I can walk out alongside Kevin and be in the Anfield dug-out once again -- it'll be sensational"

Kevin Keegan spoke about the move as well: "For me, Steve was an easy choice. He is young, but his passion for the game and the club, and his ability to speak and motivate players is amazing, and I wanted him here immensely. He lacks experience, that's a given, however I'm looking at other people to come in to add the experience to my back-room staff that we need. After only being here for two days officially -- for my good friend Steve to come is wonderful, and I know together we can take the club where it wants and needs to be."

Talking on transfers, as the Transfer Window is now open: "We've established who we want to purchase, how much money I have to spend and so on. Myself, Rick Parry and the board are confident on bring fresh faces into Anfield, but again, no names will be mentioned at this period of time."

Other back-room changes have been announced. Sammy Lee, Angel Vales, and Gerard Nus have all left the club by mutual consent, whilst the club are also looking at bringing in other coaches, fitness coaches and physios, to help Kevib develop the team even further.​

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
2nd July 2008​
gossipcolumnvb9.jpg

WEDNESDAY'S GOSSIP​

10gcxna.png

Cristiano Ronaldo will make his wish to join the Spainish Champions public in the next 48 hours. (Various)

Kevin keegan has made Gareth Barry his number one transfer target this season. (Various)

Whilst English starlets Danny Rose and John Kissock will come to Anfield, after the two have been highly recommended by Steve McMahon. (Various)

Money isn't just going out though, as names such as Yossi Benayoun, Alvaro Arbeloa, Albert Riera and Andrea Dossena are definitely on the way out, with a host of other names. (The Mirror)

Andrei Arshavin is attracting many big clubs, where Barcelona seem to be his main potential suitors. (The Independent)

New Chelsea Manager Luiz Felipe Scolari will look at bringing in Kaka and Adriano before the transfer window closes. (Daily Star)

Thierry Henry, and Eric Abidal are going to leave Nou Camp as they are officially transfer listed while Eto'o has committed his future to the club by signing a new two year deal.(Spanish Gazette)

Geovanni Dos Santos and Roman Pavlychenko are closely followed by Juande Ramos. (The Sun)

Whilst Khalid Boulahrouz of Chelsea, who spent last season on loan, will leave the club despite an impressive EURO 2008 tournament, with Stuttgart or Werder Bremen his destination. (Daily Mail)

Alex Ferguson is set to table a huge 15million pounds offer to land Werder Bremen midfielder Torsten Frings. (The Sun)

Real Madrid are set to offer a world record transfer fee to land Cristiano Ronaldo as soon as he makes hie wish public. (Spanish Gazette)

Paul Ince will create history of be the first ever black manager in the Premier League as he is set to be appointed as new Blackburn coach in the next 72 hours. (Daily Mirror)

Australian and former Liverpool player Harry Kewell is set to sign for turkish side Galatasaray SK in the next 24 hours. (The Sun)

2j5j8si.png

Big Phil Scolari admits that the press in England isn't as bad as he earlier feared when he was offered the England role, but still is thankful he didn't become England manager after not wanting to be a "Wally under a brolly". (The Sun)

Mark Hughes has said that if Manchester City don't finish in the top 6, then he fears he could be sacked. (The Mirror)

Juande Ramos has became the bookies favourite to be out of the door first, with bookies telling that if Juande Ramos doesn't bring some good results, he will be gone. (Daily Mail)

22kvp.png

Wayne Rooney has finally returned from honeymoon in Las Vegas and will attend the pre-season training from first July. (The Sun)

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Ronaldo to Real Madrid is obviously the big story, although Spurs might be the ones who make two smart signings in Dos Santos and Pavlyuchenko. (Not saying that signing Ronaldo is not smart)

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
BBCFootball.png

Last Updated: 5th July 2008

email.gif
E-mail this to a friend
print.gif
Printable version

CLAEROUT AT ANFIELD

_44146576_yossi_getty.jpg

Six players namely Alvaro Arbeloa, Philip Degen, Andrea Dossena, Albert Riera, Yossi Benayoun and David N'Gog have all left the club. Arbeloa, Deggen and Dossena have been released by the new manager Kevin Keegan while the other three have been sold.

Yossi benayoun the Israel skipper has been transfered to Scottish Giants Rangers for a transfer fee of £4.1m. Benyaoun who joined Liverpool last season from West Ham United for a fee around £5m. Made over fourt-two appearances for the club and has scored eleven times including a hatrick against Besiktas in the Champions League. Benayoun made his international debut against portugal in 1998 and since has won sixty-six caps and scored sixteen times.

Other player to leave was Albert Riera. Riera who joined Liverpool in pre-season before Kevin Keegan arrived has yet to make a appearance for the club. Riera has joined the freanch club Marseille for £3.2m. Riera has been impressive for Espanyol in his seventy-two appearances and scored eight times. Along with Riera, David N'Gog was also sold by Liverpool to Bolton Wanderers for a fee of £2.1m. N'Gog is yet to play for Liverpool. N'Gog made eighteen appearances for Paris St Germain and scored just once.

"I wish all these players a good luck with their future. They are really good players but not the kind of players that can win us the Premier League. Benayoun has been impressive but he wont be getting a regular starting eleven place. So its better for him that he goes somewhere he would get a regular place." Keegan said.​

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Riera, Degen and N'gog had only just joined the club, so Keegan must really hate them to sell them off straight away, and that too for cheap.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah I know, interesting to see him left them go. Ngog was a bad one. Arbeloa was a bad release as well, we should have kept him.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
BBCFootball.png

Last Updated: 26 Juy 2008

email.gif
E-mail this to a friend
print.gif
Printable version

BARRY SIGNS FOR LIVERPOOL

_44562917_barry_pa.jpg

Gareth Barry has joined Liverpool, signing a four year contract for a fee of 12 million pounds from Aston Villa, after speculation surrounded his future since the arrival of Kevin keegan at Liverpool.

Gareth Barry, who made his debut for Aston Villa in May 1998 after a 2.4 million pounds move, has been one of the players that have impressed the most in David O'Leary and Martin O'Neil's period at Villa Park, but also one of Keegan's major transfer target this season. Ever since the beginning of the new season, Barry was linked with the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal. However, it seems that ever since Keegan became Liverpool manager, the English playermaker became his top target, and after 18 days of the transfer window, Gareth Barry has made the switch to the Anfield.

The English international, who has made over twenty-three appearances for his national team, tipped Keegan to receive a top job with the top four of the premier league. With speculation surrounding his Aston Villa future and Keegan becoming Liverpool manager, ever since Liverpool contacted Aston Villa about the play maker, Barry admitted that he was adamant that he had to leave the club, and asked Martin O'Neil privately to let him have talks with Liverpool, as he had to leave.

"For me, this is a fantastic move. I've always tipped Keegan for a top job in the game, and once he become manager of a top, ambitious club, and made contact with Aston Villa regarding me, I told Martin I had to leave. Villa is such great club, that have reached many heights, however, I think that I have gone as far as I can with Villa, and Liverpool is a club where I think can get to where I want to be." said Gareth Barry.

"Kevin is one of the best managers in football, and to be able to join up with him at Liverpool, who are such a fabulous team is brilliant, and I just cannot wait to play under Keegan."

Kevin Keegan, speaking to liverpoolfc.tv, said that Barry is one of the best talented players in English football, and the European game at the moment: "Barry for me is an absolute gem of a player. He was one of the first players I asked to sign. Villa didn't want to let him go, but as Barry wanted to leave, they let him have talks. He didn't even worry about the money he'd be earning, he just wanted to sign for me as quickly as possible, and for me, I feel very proud that a player would like to join my club that much, and for a player who I think is one of the best player in premier league at the moment, is very exciting indeed."

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill, in a statement confirming the deal on Aston Villa's official website, was deeply upset Gareth Barry wanted to leave the club so much: "Everyone knows what a talented player Gareth is, and I don't need to go into that. In saying that, to have him want to leave the club is very disappointing indeed. After eight successful seasons, I felt that Gareth would of seen this as a good chance to achieve something more. However, he was very close to Kevin at Liverpool, and told me he had to go, and I couldn't stand in his way -- it is deeply upsetting -- but we must move on."

Gareth Barry doesn't seem to be the only heading to Anfield, as Liverpool have confirmed the signing of Italy U-21 keeper Salvatore Sirigu from Palermo. The twenty-one year old made nineteen appearances on loan from Palermo at Cremonese. Kevin Keegan signed him from Palermo for a transfer fee of 4.9 million pounds.​

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
skylogo_default.gif

Last Updated: 8th August 2008

FC Kobenhavn 1-2 Liverpool FC
............Allback 30'...........Jacobsen(og) 24'
..........................Gerrard 60'

LIVERPOOL PREVAIL IN KOBENHAVN

_42263378_liverpool_416.jpg

Liverpool FC took a precious UEFA Champions League third qualifying round lead back from FC Kobenhavn as Gerrard's strike on the hour gave the Greek visitors the edge.

Lars Jacobsen's own goal gave Liverpool a 24th-minute advantage and although Marcus Allback swiftly equalized, Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard ensured his side the lead in the tie ahead of the Merseyside return in a fortnight. It was Liverpool's first win in the Denmark.

Last season's Dannish runners-up had not conceded a goal in four games this term but that run ended when Xabi Alonso crossed from the right and FC Kobenhavn goalkeeper Jesper Christiansen was beaten by a header from team-mate Lars Jacobsen. That was a blow to FC Kobenhavn's ambitions of ending a two-year exile from the UEFA Champions League group stage although within six minutes they were level when Jesper Gronkjaer eluded the visiting defence on the right and his cross was volleyed in by Marcus Allback.

A surprise selection, the experienced Marcus Allback came close to putting FC Kobenhavn in front just past the interval but missed the target. FC Kobenhavn were carving out few chances and fell behind ahead in the 60th minute as one of the visitors' swift counterattacks earned a corner and Steven Gerrard turned the ball in. There was no response from FC Kobenhavn this time and they now face a difficult task to turn the tie in Liverpool.​

saladguy

PCPL Season 2: Outstanding Performer (Division 2)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Great win for the Reds considering they have 2 away goals! :D

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
skylogo_default.gif

LATEST TRANSFERS

25jh9c1.jpg

Arsenal
IN:
Wayne Bridge - 8.5m (Chelsea)
Marcell Jansen - 4.7m (Bayern Munich)

OUT:

Aston Villa
IN:

OUT:
Gareth Barry - 12m (Liverpool)

Blackburn
IN:

OUT:

Bolton
IN:
Chris Sutton - free
David N'Gog - 2.1m (Liverpool)
Chris Burke - 1.5m (Rangers)
Vladislav Viktorovich - 350k (Dynamo Kiev)

OUT:

Chelsea
IN:
Pavel Nedved - 2.6m (Juventus)
Gaisak Mendiata - free

OUT:
Wayne Bridge - 8.5m (Arsenal)
Paulo Ferreira - 10.5 (Real Madrid)

Everton
IN:
Tal Ben Haim - 5.2m (Man City)
Reto Ziegler - 1.9m (Wigan)