You'll Never Walk Alone-***Monthly Awards***

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Good win for Liverpool. It was always in Control with the aggregate lead.

lol btw bad photo Lucas and Arbs are in it :p ;)

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Good two wins, but both expected. Seems Gerrard has got off to a brilliant start, scoring goals in each match. Keegan will have to bring in some more players if Liverpool want to be up there with Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal, though.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
BBCFootball.png

email.gif
E-mail this to a friend
print.gif
Printable version

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2008 DRAW

Manchester_United_and_Chelsea_fans_dont_need_visas_for_Champions_League_final_large.jpg

Liverpool will face German Champions FC Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champions League and Thierry Henry can look forward to a return to Arsenal with Barcelona following the draw in Monaco. Last season winners have been pitted against German side Werder Bremen, PSV Eindhoven and Ukranian Dynamo Kiev.

Thierry Henry will come up against his old side Arsenal after Barcelona were paired with the English side, Bordeaux and Spartak Moscow in Group A. Chelsea will be confident of progressing after being drawn against AEK Athens, Legia and Chievo Verona in Group F.

Kevin Keegan's Liverpool will face German Champions Bayern Munich who are also under new manager Jurgen Klinsmann along with Scottish side Hearts and Belgium Champions Anderlecht. Elsewhere, Group C looks the competetive one to call with Jose Mourinho's club Inter Milan, French Champions Lyon, Dutch Champions Ajax Amsterdam and Turkish side Galatasaray making up the group.

AC Milan have been handed a favourable draw in Group C, as they face Scottish Champions Celtic, Benfica and Macc. Haifa. Rome's Stadio Olimpico will stage the final on 27th May 2009. The first set of matches are due to be played on 12/13. September.

Group A

Barcelona
Arsenal
Bordeaux
Spartak Moscow

Group B

Man Utd
Werder Bremen
PSV
Dynamo kiew

Group C

Inter
Lyon
Ajax
Galatasary

Group D

Real Madrid
AS Roma
Sporting Lisbon
Slovan Liberec

Group E

Liverpool
Byern Munich
Anderlecht
Hearts

Group F

Legia
Chelsea
AEK
Chievo

Group G

Valencia
FC Porto
Olympiakos
Austria Vienna

Group H

AC Milan
Celtic
Benfica
Macc. Haifa

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Group G looks tough, and Real Madrid always get an Italian team in their group!

Liverpool should go through without too many troubles.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
There are a lot of tough groups there. A, B, C, D, G and H are all tight. Liverpool should make it through, but it's whether they finish 1st or 2nd that is uncertain. Bayern Munich are a tough side to beat, so they may have to settle for 2nd place.

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Group A

Barcelona
Arsenal
Spartak Moscow
Bordeaux

Barca will have more quality than Arsenal I feel, I mean Arsenal only beat West Brom 1-0. Spartak Moscow may get third ahead of Bordeaux but the French side may triumph.

Group B

Man Utd
PSV
Werder Bremen
Dynamo kiev

I think United will win most of their games in this group but there could be a few shocks. I couldn't decided who would get second but I think PSV will just snatch it with a draw away at Bremen and a win at home to them being the important fixtures.

Group C

Inter
Lyon
Ajax
Galatasaary

French Champions and Dutch Champions will battle out for 2nd whilst Inter go on to win the group. Galatasaraay don't have the quality to come in the top two but they are very good at home so they could get 3rd.

Group D

Real Madrid
AS Roma
Sporting Lisbon
Slovan Liberec

Madrid to top the group with Roma coming second. Not many things to say about this group, although I can see Madrid and Roma battling it out. I think Lisbon will go on and do well in the UEFA Cup.

Group E

Liverpool
Byern Munich
Anderlecht
Hearts

A tough group for Liverpool I feel. Hearts should be easy home and away but it's going away to Anderlect and Bayern. I think Anderlect will get some good results at home so I can see them picking up the UEFA Cup spot but I feel Liverpool will just about have enough to come top.

Group F

Chelsea
AEK
Chievo
Legia

Chelsea will easily go through top of their group, winning nearly all their games, if not all. AEK should have enough about them to get second but I wouldn't put it past Chievo or Legia to get second. Rest of the group could have any result.

Group G

Valencia
FC Porto
Olympiakos
Austria Vienna

Valencia will top the group with Porto coming second. Olympiakos will be better than Vienna and should pick up the UEFA spot. Can't really see many shocks in this group.

Group H

AC Milan
Celtic
Benfica
Macc. Haifa

Little bit of faith with Celtic coming second. I think Benfica will probably snatch second spot but I want Celtic to get it. AC Milan to easily win the group in my opinion.

Good update Shan. :)

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
BBCFootball.png

email.gif
E-mail this to a friend
print.gif
Printable version

SUNDERLAND 0-2 LIVERPOOL

_44954020_sg_afp416.jpg

Skipper Steven Gerrard celebrated his brilliant start to the new season by scoring two late goals to give Liverpool victory in a frantic game. Gerrard ran on to Xabi Alonso's through-ball and slid the ball past Craig Gordon for the opener. And he tapped home the second in injury-time to seal the win.

Sunderland were on top for much of the game but keeper Pepe Reina made several fine saves and Kieron Richardson blasted a penalty over the bar. Black Cats, who had not won an home game since May, looked set to claim the victory they probably deserved when Jamie Carragher was penalised for bringing down Djibril Cisse in the box with 16 minutes to go. Referee Howard Webb's decision looked harsh but the away fans need not have worried as Richardson blazed the spot-kick wildly over the bar. And Black Cats, who had edged a dour first half short on both chances and excitement, were made to pay.

Michael Chopra, a last-minute replacement for Diouf who was injured in the warm-up, showed flashes of quality and was involved in the best two chances of the opening period but on both occasions Roy Keane's side were denied by the imposing figure of Reina. The first save saw Spanish react superbly to block Richardson's fiercely struck shot after an Chopra free-kick hit the defensive wall. And Reina got his angles spot on to save from Chorpa after a fine Sunderland breakaway saw Steed Malbranque send the Englishman through one-on-one.

Kevin Keegan's side settled after a nervy opening half-hour and the pacy but erratic front pairing of Fernando Torres and Robbie Keane began to ask questions of the hot's defence. But a fine 50-yard run and a blocked shot aside, Torres rarely got near enough to the Sunderland goal to threaten. Sunderland were more composed on the ball and Anton Ferdinand also scooped a shot wide from an early corner and Cisse shot straight at Reina after a nifty turn in the box.

And the Black Cats continued to create the better of the few chances on offer in a tense match after the break. Chopra again drew a fine save from Reina, this time forcing the keeper to scramble across his goal and push the striker's deflected effort wide. At the other end Sunderland keeper Craig Gordon almost gifted Torres a goal when he dropped the ball, but the Spanish striker's shot was cleared off the line by Pascal Chimbonda. Richardson then missed from the spot and the Reds took full advantage.

Within 10 minutes, Gerrard, the Liverpool skipper came alive to fire the visitors ahead following a superb pass from Xabi Alonso. He looked very sharp as usual and with the host storming forward Gerrard sealed Liverpool's first away win of the season in time added on when he tapped home after unselfish play from Javier Mascherano.

----------------------------

* Sunderland Manager Roy keane

"I am happy today. We played well today and dominated the match completely. But this will happen when you dont take the chances. We had a great chance going ahead with the penalty but it happens sometimes. But we had many shots on target and made their keeper to work very hard to deny us."

*Liverpool Manager Kevin Keegan

"This was a well fought victory for us. We didnt play well and got dominated by Sunderland. Reina was good at goal today and saved many of their shots. But it written for Gerrard to rescue us and take all three points. He has been in incredible form this season and has scored in each match."

----------------------------

Sunderland: Gordon ; Chimbonda, Ferdinand, Nosworthy, McCartney(Murphy 69) ; Malbranque, Whitehead(c)(Reid 68), Tainio (Leadbitter 45), Richardson ; Cisse , Chopra
unused Subs: Fulop, Bardsley.

Booked: Richardson

Liverpool: Reina ; Seitaridis, Carragher, Agger(Skrtel 78'), Fabio Aurellio ; Barry, Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, Gerrard(c) ; Torres, Keane(Kuyt 80')
Unused Subs: Sirigu, Babel, Anderosn

Booked: Agger

Goals: Gerrard 81'& 90'

Att: 38,882

Ref: Howard Webb

BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match: Pepe Reina​

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
BBCFootball.png

Results

English Premier League Matchday One

Blackburn Rovers 0-1 Newcastle United
................................O Martins 66

Sunderland 0-2 Liverpool
.......................S Gerrard 81
.......................S Gerrard 90

Fulham 2-0 Stoke City
D Murphy 8
E Nevland 77

West Brom 0-3 Wigan Athletic
.......................H Camara 43
.......................H Camara 49
.......................E Heskey 69

Tottenham 0-1 Portsmouth
......................J Defoe 6

Hull City 2-1 Bolton Wanderers
D Cousin 35...C Sutton 26
C Fagan 66

West Ham United 2-1 Middlesbrough
M Etherington 16.........Mido 23
M Etherington 68

Aston Villa 1-1 Arsenal
J Carew 9.........E Adebayor 76

Chelsea FC 1-2 Everton
N Anelka 70.......A van der Meyde 23
N Anelka 70.......Yakubu 25

Manchester United 4-0 Manchester City
R Ferdinand 29
D Berbatov 49
D Berbatov 75
Anderson 89

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
28th August 2008​
gossipcolumnvb9.jpg

MONDAY'S GOSSIP​

10gcxna.png

Real Madrid are set to sign Chelsea and Portuguese midfielder Deco for a huge fee of 25m. (Various)

Liverpool are set to complete the signings of two players Manuel Junglas from Alemmania and David Silva from Valencia for a total fee of 17m. (Daily Mail)

Real Madrid have given up on signing Cristiano Ronaldo and are set to sign Chelsea midfielder Deco. Chelsea may offer a huge amount to Manchester United to sign Cristiano Ronaldo. (The Sun)

Joe Cole is closely monitored by Newcastle United and looks like they are gonna offer a fee around 15m to sign the in-form English winger. (Daily Mirror)

Arsenal and West Brom are interested in the services of Aston Villa's midfielder James Milner. Looks like the Gunners gonna make an offer for him very soon.(The Sun)

Andrei Arshavin's move to the premier league looks likely as Barcelona have decided to withdraw their interest from the Russian Star. (Marca)

Pompey's want-away midfielder Ivica Mornar is closely monitored by many championship clubs like Leeds, Reading and Sheffield United(The Sun)

Manchester United are gonna spend huge amount of cash to bring Wigan's Luis Valencia and Atletico's Kun Aguero. (Daily Mirror)

Atletico Madrid have made and 8m offer for Real Madrid's out of favour striker Javier Saviola who is likely to join the arch rivals. (Marca)

Sevilla are set to unveil their new signing later today. Its Carlo Cudicini Chelsea keeper who has joined the UEFA Cup holders for a fee of 2.4m (The Independent)

Chelsea are trying to sign German u-17 skipper Toni Kroos who has been high-rated to become legends of German football. (The Sun)

Manchester City are looking to sign many superstars like David Villa, Mario Gomez and Kaka before the transfer window closes. (The Sun)

2j5j8si.png

Mark Hughes has asked for more money from Manchester City owners so he can strengthen his team by buying many superstars. (The Sun)

Luis Felipe Scolari has said loss against Everton at home shows that Premier League is very competitive this season and any one can go one to win it. (Daily Mirror)

22kvp.png

Dimitar Berbatov took his Manchester United team-mates for a drink as he had scored his first goal for the club in the local derby against man City. (The Mail)

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Nice result for Liverpol we did it tough but we got the 3 points which counts. Everton beating Chelsea at stamford is a huge surprise.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
BBCFootball.png

Last Updated: 29th August 2008

email.gif
E-mail this to a friend
print.gif
Printable version

DAVID SILVA SIGNS FOR LIVERPOOL

0,,10268~3170812,00.jpg

Spanish midfielder David Silva has joined Liverpool on a four year contract for an undisclosed fee, however it is believed to be around 12 million pounds.

The Spanish midfielder, who has scored 3 goals in 20 appearances for Spain, and was a pivotal part in Spain's EURO 2008 winning campaign, scored one of the most important goals that knocked Guus Hiddink's Russia out of Euro 2008 in the semi-finals, as he scored the goal that gave Spain the lead , and then Spain went onto win the match. David Silva, who overall had a brilliant tournament, had attracted many big clubs in Europe, including Manchester United and Juventus, and hinted throughout the tournament that he would be leaving Valencia.

However, it'd be Kevin Keegan to sign the twenty-two year old, who had seen Silva throughout the competition and in the Semi-final, and King Kev revealed he felt Silva was one of the best players in the Euro 2008 tournament, and had to take advantage of his daunting situation at Valencia.

"David is a fantastic signing for the club. In the midfield, we are lacking a top class attacking midfielder, with in mind at the moment two attacking midfielder which fit the bill. David had a wonderful Euro 2008 campaign, scoring once and playing a major part in other goals, performing extremely well in each game and obviously someone I was able to see very closely. The club have decided not to reveal the transfer fee, however, for the money which we purchased him for, it will be one of the biggest bargains this Summer".

David Silva was held in high regard by manager Unai Emery, however, after having a troubled time at Valencia, David Silva always wanted a move. Silva, talking to liverpoolfc.tv, said that he had to leave Valencia, and to join Liverpool was one of the best moments of his career thus far.

"It's an honour to be part of a big club like Liverpool, and along with winning the EURO 2008 with Spain, this is one of the best moments in my career. Throughout the tournament, my agent was telling me of interest from various clubs, however when Kevin took over Liverpool, and my agent told me of their interest, they were the club I wanted to sign for. Kevin Keegan is great man, and a great manager already, and he and Liverpool have high ambition, and I want to be a part of that. Other offers were on the table, but I wanted to join Liverpool, and now I hope I can get my club career back on track whilst still scoring well for my homeland."

"My time at Valencia was full of mixed feelings. However, I want to thank everyone involved within the club, including the backroom staff and board, but more importantly the fans. Yet, this was a move I had to make to further my career, and I have chosen the right time to leave."

David Silva was not the last signing Liverpool did. Liverpool have also signed the 19 years old Manuel Junglas from Alemannia Aachen for a transfer fee of 5 million pounds. Junglas made his debut this season against Wolfsburg and scored on his debut. he is highly rated to become on of the hottest property in football in coming future.

saladguy

PCPL Season 2: Outstanding Performer (Division 2)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Silva's awesome! For me he should of been worth at least £25 million! :D Great buy!

Users who are viewing this thread