ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 - India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Anyone know when ticket sales will be available? Me and my dad are looking to go. The official website was up by this time for the 07 event, these guys need to get on it

aditya123

National Board President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I've said this before and I'll say it again since people are bringing up the 1996 World Cup. That tournament was nothing short of a joke and not just cause of the format. That was just one aspect of it. You also had an opening ceremony that was nothing short of an expensive amateur hour, with an MC who didn't have a bloody clue.

Also the stupidity and arrogance of the organisers who refused to move games from Sri Lanka knowing full well suicide bombers were blowing themselves up in Columbo.

PILCOM couldn't organise a game of Two Up on ANZAC Day.

Hence why I always stated that until 2007 that the 1996 was the worst ever World Cup.

I don`t actually agree.
You`ve got to keep in mind that the World Cup became an ICC property only since the 1999 WC, in the sense that it was just the host body which organized it themselves with the ICC having very little influence on it. I`m sure the subcontinent will put up a great show next year and we`ll have a great opening ceremony for the event.
Things got more professional since 1999 and even then we had an organizational disaster in the 2007 WC.

1996 had many really good games and some superlative individual performances. You had full houses at Mohali (WI v AUS) and Lahore (finals) for the semis and the finals with neither India or Pakistan were part of those games. In fact most neutral games had good crowds. The WI-SA, India-Pak, Aus-NZ quarterfinals were all great games. The India-Australia league game was also a cracker.

The crowd behaviour at the Eden was a shame at the end of it but I still have fond memories of the event.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
It's annoying, because I was planning to go to India for this, but now I can't because of school :p

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Anyone know when ticket sales will be available? Me and my dad are looking to go. The official website was up by this time for the 07 event, these guys need to get on it

When the BCCI doesn't even have its own website, how on earth do you expect a site to be there for the World Cup to be held in the Indian sub-continent ?

I've said this before and I'll say it again since people are bringing up the 1996 World Cup. That tournament was nothing short of a joke and not just cause of the format. That was just one aspect of it. You also had an opening ceremony that was nothing short of an expensive amateur hour, with an MC who didn't have a bloody clue.

Also the stupidity and arrogance of the organisers who refused to move games from Sri Lanka knowing full well suicide bombers were blowing themselves up in Columbo.

PILCOM couldn't organise a game of Two Up on ANZAC Day.

Hence why I always stated that until 2007 that the 1996 was the worst ever World Cup.

I'll agree and so will you people when you watch this video

World Cup 1996 Presentation Ceremony

aditya123

National Board President
When the BCCI doesn't even have its own website, how on earth do you expect a site to be there for the World Cup to be held in the Indian sub-continent ?

I'll agree and so will you people when you watch this video

World Cup 1996 Presentation Ceremony

BCCI does have its own website. And I don`t think the website for the World Cup will be BCCI`s lookout. Official event sites for the recent ICC events have all been done by Yahoo! as they are the official website partners of ICC events.

The ticket sales and stuff related to the ICC events are usually put up on the ICC website. International Cricket Council

aditya123 added 14 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

This is where info on the tickets will bne put up. Watch the space International Cricket Council - Cricket World Cup 2011 - Tickets / Venues .

War

Chairman of Selectors
Australia's 2011 World Cup Squad (Possible)

Once all are fit, this should be the squad IMO:

1. Watson
2. Haddin
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. White
6. Hussey
7. Hopes
8. Johnson
9. Lee/Tait
10. Haurtiz
11. Bollinger

12. Ferguson
13. Paine
14. Harris/Nannes
15. Smith - Hopefully his bowling keeps improving since his leg-spin could be very useful in the sub-continent.

NOTE:

- If Lee comes back strong later this year & is still bowling fast. Both him & Tait should be the final squad. Thus neither Harris/Nannes should make the final 15.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Don't think they will worry about the reserve keeper. McKay will probably be there given how hes gone. And if Harris performs in India this year, he'll be there too. Don't think Nannes is anywhere near selection and Tait would have to be picked on T20 form as his FRC is pretty average this season.

Rest I would agree with, maybe Ferguson in for Hopes if his batting after a collapse doesn't improve.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
1. Watson
2. Marsh
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. White
6. Hussey
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Lee
10. Haurtiz
11. Bollinger

12. Ferguson
13. Paine/Wade :p
14. Tait
15. Smith

Almost the same as War's. But as Syl said, a lot will hang on our tour if India in October.

I wonder why Jon Holland has completely disappeared? :confused:

Owzat

International Coach
FORMAT:
After a moderately successful CWC 2007 in the Caribbean, the ICC has decided to do away with the elaborate format stretching about 2 months, comprising of 51 games between 16 teams split into 4 groups. The CWC 2011 boasts of 49 matches between 14 teams, to be held during the months of February and March 2011.

Still way too many matches for what it is, a massive reduction of TWO matches aside. Why not scrap the supershitstages and just have simple groups and knockout a la football? 16 sides in four groups, play each other twice and then play QFs, SFs and Final = 4x6 + 4 + 2 + 1 = 31 matches.

The problem is they don't want to turf out the minnows a la 1992, they don't want to have too many minnows vs Test nation (mis)matches and they want as many of the top sides to play each other because it is now a televisual event more than for spectators and the cricket itself. Where they went BADLY wrong in 2007 was trying to have an all-play-all extravaganza in the 'super eights' with the intention that the top eight Test nations would play each other at some stage. It went titsup when India and Pakistan went home early :laugh and the marketability of Ireland and Bangladesh wasn't quite the same.

Smaller groups is the way to go, perhaps even go 24 teams in groups of three with only the winner going through to the knockouts or a two group round robin if they insist. Bottom line is TV wants the four yearly event to have as many "big matches" as possible and it ruins the structure. Thank feck the football isn't that crazy and doesn't cry if Brazil don't play all of Argentina, Germany, England, Holland, Spain, Portugal, France and Italy in the same tournament (the equivalent)

aditya123

National Board President
Still way too many matches for what it is, a massive reduction of TWO matches aside. Why not scrap the supershitstages and just have simple groups and knockout a la football? 16 sides in four groups, play each other twice and then play QFs, SFs and Final = 4x6 + 4 + 2 + 1 = 31 matches.

The problem is they don't want to turf out the minnows a la 1992, they don't want to have too many minnows vs Test nation (mis)matches and they want as many of the top sides to play each other because it is now a televisual event more than for spectators and the cricket itself. Where they went BADLY wrong in 2007 was trying to have an all-play-all extravaganza in the 'super eights' with the intention that the top eight Test nations would play each other at some stage. It went titsup when India and Pakistan went home early :laugh and the marketability of Ireland and Bangladesh wasn't quite the same.

Smaller groups is the way to go, perhaps even go 24 teams in groups of three with only the winner going through to the knockouts or a two group round robin if they insist. Bottom line is TV wants the four yearly event to have as many "big matches" as possible and it ruins the structure. Thank feck the football isn't that crazy and doesn't cry if Brazil don't play all of Argentina, Germany, England, Holland, Spain, Portugal, France and Italy in the same tournament (the equivalent)

I hope we`ll have a 24 team Cricket World Cup one day. Then we could seriously have 8 groups of three teams with one team reaching the knockouts.

Personally I feel we could easily increase the number of teams in the T20 WC looking at the way the Associates are managing to compete in that format.

Last edited:

angryangy

ICC Chairman
24 teams in an ODI tournament is ridiculous. Even if it could happen, knocking out 16 of them after 2 games would be a ridiculous way of judging the best.

P

pcfan123

Lol I said I want to see it, like I want to have sex with Kiera Knightly, its not going to happen, but I still want it to :)

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
As far as England are concerned, if everyone's fit I'd like to see us go in with an XI of:

1. Andrew Strauss *
2. Craig Kieswetter +
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Jonathan Trott
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Eoin Morgan
7. Andrew Flintoff
8. Graham Napier/Adil Rashid
9. Graeme Swann
10. Stuart Broad
11. James Anderson

Then I'm really not sure about the extra 4, but it'd be something like:

12. Adil Rashid/Graham Napier
13. Graham Onions/Tim Bresnan
14. Ian Bell/Ravi Bopara/any other top class performer in OD cricket, James Taylor?
15. Steven Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread