22nd Match, Group E: England v New Zealand at Gros Islet

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Well Australia have pretty much just been handed a final spot. Pakistan are the worst fielding side in the whole competition and Australia will just out class them. I think England will have to be favourites no matter who we face in the semis, most likely Sri Lanka I guess. Will be a good game though.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I was a critical & worried going inot this tournament that by batting Bresnan @ # 7 that in a pressure game like today, that they will struggle to finish games/set-up games. Since their hitting ability of the lower-order is questionable.

But i guess its all working out fairly well for the time being. Long may it continue, England can definately win this.

Don't agree with that, the hitting ability of the lower order is their strong suit. Morgan, Wright, Bresnan, Yardy and Swann are all capable of clearing the boundary. The problem would be the consistency of that lower order, not the hitting ability surely?

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
England will face Oz in Semis? Oh that would be goood!!

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
England will face Oz in Semis? Oh that would be goood!!

Nah, I think it's much more likely that we'll be taking on Sri Lanka. Hopefully the 2 best sides throughout the tournament will meet in the final. England and Australia have been the best sides in the competition, and hopefully they'll meet in the final. Would be such an awesome game.

rocky_pratik

Club Cricketer
^^^ Noways..I am happy that one Asian team has qualified for Semi's

Does not matter whether its India or Pakistan

But Pakistan facing OZ's in Semis.

Pakistan has to be their best to beat Australia in Semi's

:laugh

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
I dont want Sri Lanka in there. I specially dont want Indians in there. Freaking Paks got through. Hopefully Sri Lankans are all fired up after Oz trashing.

Oz +WI and Eng + and I wish it was SA..

Params7

International Cricketer
Because all the Indian fans were cheering for New Zealand.:D
IPL = Fail

lol seriously, all you care about is IPL and the Indian team and the Indian fans right? Hard to believe but financially, IPL is like 5x the tournament this is, and I doubt India's exit will hamper it much.

War

Chairman of Selectors
500 runs in the T20 cup last season, the first man in the history of the tournament to manage that feat; though I'm sure you'll instantly dismiss that on the basis of our 'awful' domestic standard. Trott is a class T20 player, just hasn't been given enough opportunities at International level. Collingwood's a poor T20i player, with a record barely better than Luke Wright. Average of 19 strike rate of 135; there's no way he's in the side on batting merit. Just lucky he's 'happy' to captain, is exceptional in the field and can bowl.

Spare me the sarcasm. Once you are clear the our domestic T20 standard is poor, we are going somewhere.

I know what Trott did opening last season. I certainly would have had him in this current world cup squad ahead of Bopara for eg. But no way should he be challenging Collingwood for a spot since their roles in a T20 team is totally different. Trott scored those runs last season opening. But his game is similar to Jayawardene & Kallis, only thing he aint as good as them. Why esle do you think Lumb was preferred by Flower & co to open?

Collingwood clearly is one of our best T20 bats & is in the team on merit. Its crazy to suggest otherwise. Yea his international T20 record is not flash, but lets not forget for the first 2 years of his T20I career, the game was played in exhibition mode - its only in the last year or so the world has taken T20s super serious. Plus given he is a England regular the few times he has turned out for Durham domestically - it has just been slog & get out. No real focus.

Come on man this is same Collingwood that was keeping De Villiers out of Delhi Darevils in the IPL this year. Where whee you this winter when Colly played this innings vs South Africa??. Collingwood place is as safe as houses & our T20 team would be worse off without him.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Because all the Indian fans were cheering for New Zealand.:D
IPL = Fail

Did you see my posts? I was cheering for Pakistan. Other Indian fans didnt care much.

And instead of rejoicing Pak's entry, you are teasing Indian fans? You have made it through the backdoor, so keep that in mind

SaiSrini added 0 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

^^^ Noways..I am happy that one Asian team has qualified for Semi's

Does not matter whether its India or Pakistan

But Pakistan facing OZ's in Semis.

Pakistan has to be their best to beat Australia in Semi's

:laugh

Absolutely. Pakistan being in there is good only

War

Chairman of Selectors
Don't agree with that, the hitting ability of the lower order is their strong suit. Morgan, Wright, Bresnan, Yardy and Swann are all capable of clearing the boundary. The problem would be the consistency of that lower order, not the hitting ability surely?

Byt lower order i'm talking about from # 7-10. Our top 6 is fine.

Swann can definately hit it. But he comes across to be as a type of batsman based on watching him play some of his shot guns innings in tests, who needs time to get it before hitting. Thus theirfore given he will usually have to come in a T20 game from ball one & have to smash it (unless England has a extrordinary collapse & he is batting within the first 10 overs). I still worry he may struggle a bit to smoke it & may end up htting one to the fielder.

I didn't think Bresnan could do what he did today & i was worried after he struggled in similar situation vs Ireland in Guyana. But he has sort of eased my fears for now.

Yardy is definately not a hitter. The fact that Bresnan & Swann keep coming in ahead of him is worrying.

Plus with Broad he can bat. But not good enough to hit the boundaries regualry.

My ultime worry scenario is if England where to collapse in the semi's like how Australia did vs Bangladesh & Sri Lanka for 60 odd for 6. We dont have the batting depth do make a similar recovery. The selectors have obviously sacrificed batting for a strong all-rond bowling attack in this tourmament, which i fear will come back to haunt us.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Yeah. The last year Collingwood's really improved:

2009: 7 innings, 134 runs at 19.14 with 1 half century and a strike rate of 136.
2010: 7 innings, 59 runs at 8.33 with 0 half centuries (HS of 16) and a strike rate of 102.

Collingwood's been abysmal in the last 2 years of T20i cricket. The only year he's ever maintained a remotely impressive level of performance was in 2007, and he only averaged 24 that year, with a strike rate of 139. If he's one of our best T20 bats at International level, don't you think he should start proving it, and start making some runs of actual note. One innings, in South Africa on a flat pitch is not enough to prove that he's one of our best T20 batsmen. His performances this year have been pathetic, and performing decently in the IPL on flat pitches against generally poor bowling attacks is not enough to prove he's a flash International T20 batsman.

Maybe Trott isn't the right option, though I'd consider dropping Kieswetter down to 5 and having Trott open with Lumb; but I don't think Collingwood is either. He isn't a particularly proficient captain, isn't making runs and the captaincy does appear to affect his fielding. If he's good enough in this form of the game, at International level then he needs to step up and start proving it. I'm struggling to see how he could possibly be deemed one of our best T20 batsmen at the minute tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread