January 12th - 1st T20i England vs Australia @ Adelaide

ferg512

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've been wondering that question about Luke Wright for the past 3 years now, they can carry him though because they are winning.

I thought Lee actually did alright, couple of bad ones but he had good pace and I would give him a good go in the one dayers before judging him. Tait was pretty awful though, just bowl short and wide. I can't see how he is going to play a 50 over game, he looks dead after 2 overs in a twenty20.

Sureshot

Executive member
Lee was blowing pretty hard too. I don't think Lee is what he once was. Harris injury could really hurt Australia. Though things could've been very different.

Bit slacky from England, should've been more clinical in the batting, but it's T20, it happens, so not too fussed.

Woakes was impressive, as was Shahzad with the ball.

Owzat

International Coach
I've been wondering that question about Luke Wright for the past 3 years now, they can carry him though because they are winning..

The stupid thing is that if he's not going to bowl, and sometimes doesn't even bat that high in the order, they may as well play someone in his place who they (the captain) will bowl or will bat higher in the order.

His inclusion in ODIs could prove detrimental to a bid to win the World Cup, we need bowlers who can take wickets and bowl more than 3-5 overs, and batsmen who can score more than a 50 every blue moon. All he is is a passenger who bats down at seven because his batting is non-effective most of the time, and only bowls 3-5 overs so the captain can fiddle his bowling.

Maybe if I slate him enough he'll win the world cup for us! (pah, unlikely)

P

pcfan123

lol one meaningless Twenty20 and people already calling for Lee to be removed from the ODI format. what a joke, he is still miles above any other Aussie seamer.

Who cares how anyone went in a Twenty20, it's not even cricket. Not sure how people are coming to conclusions about ODI form based on 40 overs of masturbation cricket.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Awesome match. Great fun. Gotta feel for Watto, losing side after that performance.

Australia looked like a more energised and aggressive outfit with Smith, Lee, Warner, Dussey, Cam White and Paine out there in the field. Good to see.

Interesting that Smith didn't bowl.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Why is Wright in the side? Didn't bowl, out for a duck, what is his role?!?!? Bits n pieces, I thought England worked out in the (late) 90s that bits n pieces is a poor approach. Left a rather long tail exposed.

Yea been saying it for a while. Peter Trego would be a better player in his role.

----------

I've been wondering that question about Luke Wright for the past 3 years now, they can carry him though because they are winning.

I thought Lee actually did alright, couple of bad ones but he had good pace and I would give him a good go in the one dayers before judging him. Tait was pretty awful though, just bowl short and wide. I can't see how he is going to play a 50 over game, he looks dead after 2 overs in a twenty20.

Ok so after having an excellent 2010 in both T20 & ODIs, you are writing off Tait based on his first international game back from injury?. Not wise sir..

----------

lol one meaningless Twenty20 and people already calling for Lee to be removed from the ODI format. what a joke, he is still miles above any other Aussie seamer.

Who cares how anyone went in a Twenty20, it's not even cricket. Not sure how people are coming to conclusions about ODI form based on 40 overs of masturbation cricket.

Well said..:thumbs

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Yea been saying it for a while. Peter Trego would be a better player in his role.

Excellent, take out one player and bring in another who is exactly the same type.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Excellent, take out one player and bring in another who is exactly the same type.

Not at all. Peter Trego is far better batsman than Wright, while their bowling is just about the same.

Simply put Trego - is better bits & pieces allrounder

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Peter Trego is far better batsman than Wright, while their bowling is just about the same.

No idea where you have got this idea from considering their stats are virtually identical apart from List A bowling averages.

Peter Trego | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Luke Wright | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

The fact is though, we're complaining about having a bits and pieces player at that position and your answer is to bring another one in?

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Both of those have poorer averages due to throwing their wickets away, especially in the early part of their careers. Trego has been great with the bat the last few years, a major part of why Somerset have gone from poor County side to one of the better ones. Also looked great for the England Lions last year. Probably deserves a shot, but he hasn't even been picked for the Lions tour this year, so he has no chance, which is a shame really.

The bowling is probably down to them both bowling at the death and in powerplay overs too, in terms of economy. I think they're both underrated personally.

War

Chairman of Selectors
No idea where you have got this idea from considering their stats are virtually identical apart from List A bowling averages.

Peter Trego | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Luke Wright | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

The fact is though, we're complaining about having a bits and pieces player at that position and your answer is to bring another one in?

Well fact is with Flintoff gone now ENG are not going to have a quality ODI quick/medium pace all-rounder for the near futute obviously.

Yardy is bits & pieces player as well. But ENG have found a way to get the best out of his limited ability. Thats what Trego IMO will give ENG better than Wright. Which is a better batsman technically able to give ENG more consistent runs coming in @ # 7, his bowling however wont be much of an improvement from Wright.

Trego stats also dont reflect the improvement he has made last season in list A & domestic T20. Before last season i never rated him much, but he caught my eye & the ENG selectors eye as well, since he got his first call-ups for various ENG Lions squads throughout 2010.

----------

Both of those have poorer averages due to throwing their wickets away, especially in the early part of their careers. Trego has been great with the bat the last few years, a major part of why Somerset have gone from poor County side to one of the better ones. Also looked great for the England Lions last year. Probably deserves a shot, but he hasn't even been picked for the Lions tour this year, so he has no chance, which is a shame really.

The bowling is probably down to them both bowling at the death and in powerplay overs too, in terms of economy. I think they're both underrated personally.

They are playing FC amtches though. So Trego not being in that squad to the caribbean is understandable.

Last edited:

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Well fact is with Flintoff gone now ENG are not going to have a quality ODI quick/medium pace all-rounder for the near futute obviously.

Stuart Broad.

Yardy is bits & pieces player as well. But ENG have found a way to get the best out of his limited ability.

No way is Yardy a bits and pieces player. I consider him a front line spinner for the England side, he even got the ball before Swann in the recent T20 and has done in a fair few games. Swann and Yardy are very much the same player, spinners who bat. Granted Swann is a better spinner than Yardy overall, but in OD cricket they compliment each other fantastically.

Trego stats also dont reflect the improvement he has made last season in list A & domestic T20

According to sources at Sussex, Wright has made vast improvements in his game as well & being 4 years younger than Trego would say a great deal about where he is at as a player then.

As I said before, we (being England fans) have all complained about Wright being in the side as a bits and pieces player and you want to bring in exactly the same sort of player. You either go one way or the other if you try to replace Wright.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Stuart Broad.

No. Broad is highly unlikely to ever reach the levels Master fred ever reached as an-allrounder. The best we can expect from Broad is for him to emulate Wasim Akram/Mitchell Johnson, & be the type of player who will just contribute with the bat @ a 20-25 average in test for eg.

No way is Yardy a bits and pieces player. I consider him a front line spinner for the England side, he even got the ball before Swann in the recent T20 and has done in a fair few games. Swann and Yardy are very much the same player, spinners who bat. Granted Swann is a better spinner than Yardy overall, but in OD cricket they compliment each other fantastically.

Yea his bowling has been going ok since the T20 WC. But lets not forget in domestic cricket he is pretty much a top-order batsmen that bowls a bit.

In international cricket since his recall his batting odly is very hit & miss while his bowling is what is proving to be effective. So technically he is not fully replicating his list A & T20 style on the international stage. But given his bowling has stepped up, ENG have found a way to accommodate him in the side consistently.

According to sources at Sussex, Wright has made vast improvements in his game as well & being 4 years younger than Trego would say a great deal about where he is at as a player then.

Well Wright clearly hasn't shown any of the improvement on the international stage. So its time we get rid of him & banish him to county cricket forever.

As I said before, we (being England fans) have all complained about Wright being in the side as a bits and pieces player and you want to bring in exactly the same sort of player. You either go one way or the other if you try to replace Wright.

Wright has had enough chances & he is nothing more than the usual crap/average bits & pieces all-rounder like Matt Fleming, Dougie Brown, Hollioake bros, Irani, Alleyne, Blackwell (although his bowling was useful) that have played for ENG over the years.

Outside Flintoff who was the only WC ODI all-rounder we have had. Guys like Eaham, White, Mascarenhas where the best all-rounders below his level who where up to international standards in set roles. So although Trego is no FLintoff reborn etc, IMO he should be given a chance to see if he can bring more consistency to role Wright has completely failed in.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
No. Broad is highly unlikely to ever reach the levels Master fred ever reached as an-allrounder. The best we can expect from Broad is for him to emulate Wasim Akram/Mitchell Johnson, & be the type of player who will just contribute with the bat @ a 20-25 average in test for eg.

Broad is only 24. You can't expect a great player to follow another. It's the England keeper dilemma, the Australian Spinner dilemma. You had an icon, a legend, a true great playing and then when they retire you expect the next person to live right up into those expectations and even surpass them. England had it after Stewart stepped down and went round keepers like Tiger Woods cheated on his wife. Warne retired and they had McGill (sp?) for a while (possibly the one of the most unlucky players ever) and now they are doing the same thing, they expect great things from their new spinners and it simply won't happen as they just don't have the aura or the talent. These guys are once in a generation cricketers, you can't expect everyone who slots into those positions to achieve the same feats.

Yea his bowling has been going ok since the T20 WC. But lets not forget in domestic cricket he is pretty much a top-order batsmen that bowls a bit.

In international cricket since his recall his batting odly is very hit & miss while his bowling is what is proving to be effective. So technically he is not fully replicating his list A & T20 style on the international stage. But given his bowling has stepped up, ENG have found a way to accommodate him in the side consistently.

Isn't he capitano of Sussex and thus puts him up there himself?

Lest not forget either, Swann opens the batting for Notts in OD cricket a lot of the time, he wasn't picked to open the batting for England was he? England have picked him for his ability with the ball not the bat or he wouldn't be batting at 7/8.

Well Wright clearly hasn't shown any of the improvement on the international stage. So its time we get rid of him & banish him to county cricket forever.

I agree, I don't rate him either but what I'm trying to show is that you're taking out a bits and pieces player, only to fill the gap with another one when that's what you were complaining about in the first place?

Wright has had enough chances & he is nothing more than the usual crap/average bits & pieces all-rounder like Matt Fleming, Dougie Brown, Hollioake bros, Irani, Alleyne, Blackwell (although his bowling was useful) that have played for ENG over the years.

Outside Flintoff who was the only WC ODI all-rounder we have had. Guys like Eaham, White, Mascarenhas where the best all-rounders below his level who where up to international standards in set roles. So although Trego is no FLintoff reborn etc, IMO he should be given a chance to see if he can bring more consistency to role Wright has completely failed in.

Putting 'Hollioake bros' in is a bit harsh considering Ben never really got to showcase his talent for England after his horrible accident. (RIP).

In all honesty, I don't think Wright would be in the side if Broad wasn't injured and England were at full strength.

ferg512

International Coach
Ok so after having an excellent 2010 in both T20 & ODIs, you are writing off Tait based on his first international game back from injury?. Not wise sir..

Well I was talking more about his fitness, he did only play 3 ODIs last year, and sure hes done great in twenty20s but I can't see how he is going to get through all these 50 over games against England and then the world cup without injury.

Users who are viewing this thread