Boxing Thread

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Just thought I'd start a boxing thread for the site. My first post will be my all time top 10 list of the greatest ever boxers:

1. Muhammad Ali: The most sublime and complete fighter I have ever seen. Decent power, the heart of a lion, a titanium chin and speed the likes of which will never be seen again in the heavyweight division. He also managed to shine in an era often regarded as the divisions golden age, with victories over Sonny Liston, Floyd Paterson, Joe Frazier, George Foreman and Ken Norton.

2. Sugar Ray Robinson: A multi-weight world champion when those belts actually meant something. terrific speed and knock out power in both hands, he beat more Hall of Fame bound boxers in his career than any other fighter in history. Sadly, any video that remains is footage of a past his prime SRR, keeping me from putting him on the top of the list.

3. Henry Armstrong: At one time, he held three world championships, in three different weight divisions, at a time when there was only one championship belt per division and only 8 weight divisions in total. It could have been 4 championships if it was not for the fact that many say he was robbed in his middle-weight title bout.

4. Roberto Duran: The greatest lightweight ever, a power puncher with solid boxing skill and a very dangerous warrior who was willing to put it all on the line. The fights against much bigger men such as Tommy Hearns and Marvin Hagler are a testament to his bravery and never say never spirit. Not to mention he won titles at lightweight, welterweight, light-middleweight and middleweight.

5. Willie Pep: A small man with a great boxing pedigree. He could beat guys with a KO or on points and he did so in a career which included 229 fights and an almost insignificant 11 losses. Possibly the greatest Featherweight of them all.

6. Joe Louis: One of the greatest heavyweights of all time he defended his championship more times than anyone else in the divisions history. Louis is often noted for his concussive power but he beat many of his opponents with slick footwork and genuine boxing ability. His jab was as good as anyones in the business and his left hook could be a devastating finisher.

7. Julio Cesar Chavez: 88-0 the longest unbeaten streak in boxing history. A three weight world champion, Chavez combined power punches with smooth boxing skills and an almost unbelievable taste for punishment, to become, P4P the best boxer of his generation. Victories over Pernell Whitaker, Hector Camacho and Meldrick Taylor are a stamp on his greatness.

8. Carlos Monzon: A middleweight champion for 7 years with 14 title defences only tells half the story. To watch Monzon fight was like watching a ticking time bomb. He could explode at anytime, unleashing a controlled flurry of power puches which knocked many fighters senseless. May be the greatest middleweight of all time.

9. Lennox Lewis: Often underrated, many times by myself, but there is no doubt that Lewis was the greatest heavyweight of his generation and the greatest since Ali. He had a solid jab and a devastating right hand. His style was considered boring by some but he went on to beat Evander Holyfield, Donovan Ruddock, Oliver McCall and ofcourse Mike Tyson. That is a list of the best heavyweights of his generation.

10. Sugar Ray Leonard: There is no one since the great Ray Robinson who has carried the sugar moniker has well as Ray Leonard did for almost a decade. From the late seventies to the late eighties, Leonard was the most accomplished fighter on the planet. Victories over Duran, Hagler and Hearns proved that.

The Rock

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I dont know any boxer from that top 10 list, other than Muhammad Ali.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
i just dont think tyson is top 10. only 2 other great heavyweights in his era and he lost to both.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Who's ordering 'This is It'? Did you see the press conferences - they looked as though they were ready to go right there - both sets of fighters! And DeGale issued a challenge to his opponent that if he beat him, he'd take his purse - which the opponent accepted - they shook on it. I don't know if they're allowed to do that, but it made for great viewing in any case!

----------

I dont know any boxer from that top 10 list, other than Muhammad Ali.

You don't know Sugar Ray Leonard? Sugar Ray Robinson? Lennox Lewis? Then you don't know boxing, my friend. ;)

Edit: @OP - What about Mayweather? Pac Man?

Last edited:

The Rock

County Cricketer
You don't know Sugar Ray Leonard? Sugar Ray Robinson? Lennox Lewis? Then you don't know boxing, my friend. ;)

Yes, I dunno boxing! I just knew Muhammad Ali because he was there in Wrestlemania I! :p

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
So: Haye vs Klitschko - do we think this one will go for a long time? Where is it - the UK or the US? I always find the event in the US offer much better value for your ?15 - the UK ones are over in a few hours, whereas the ones in the US start off with action from the UK, then you get an all nighter in the US!

Lee1981

International Coach
So: Haye vs Klitschko - do we think this one will go for a long time? Where is it - the UK or the US? I always find the event in the US offer much better value for your ?15 - the UK ones are over in a few hours, whereas the ones in the US start off with action from the UK, then you get an all nighter in the US!

May be wrong but i think its in Germany.

Reckon Haye will win on points.

harrisb

International Coach
The way around the pay-per-view thing is going down to the pub, ok, maybe not for the fights in Vegas, but for the UK and Europe fights, it's quite a good atmosphere, and even after a few drinks, it's probably better than watching it at home.

I'm quite young, but I've got a decent understanding of the sport and some of the leading fighters at the moment.

What do you guys think of Nathan Cleverley, looked quite good in the fight he had against that Polish guy on the night of 'This is it'

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Anyone watch the Thriller in Manila documentary? Truly compelling stuff. I'm so conflicted on how to feel about everything!

----------

Also, RIP Joe Fraizer.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Apparently the World Wrestling authorities may be prepared to give Haye and Chisora a fight. ;)
Maybe Haye will actually throw a punch inside the ring as well.

Users who are viewing this thread