Boxing Thread

Master Khan

National Board President
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I am kind of becoming uninterested in boxing after fights like Manny Pacquiao vs Jeff Horn, GGG vs Saul Alvarez etc...it's too much corruption now.

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
Yeah George Groves might test out how good Chris Eubank JR is because I don't see him as a great boxer.

Top 10 ound pound list will be hard to do lol
But I would have GGG above Saul Alvaraz.
I pretty much agree with Boxrec Lb for Lb but jeff Horn shouldn't be there and GGG as no 1.
:lol Idk what Jeff Horn is doing there. Guess a strong case for GGG #1 can be made since Andre Ward has retired, wish he stuck around for a bit longer though.
Winner of Loma v Rigo will definitely be up there.

I am kind of becoming uninterested in boxing after fights like Manny Pacquiao vs Jeff Horn, GGG vs Saul Alvarez etc...it's too much corruption now.
See this is what's peeing me off. A great sport but it's the corruption that's driving people away!

Master Khan

National Board President
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan
:lol Idk what Jeff Horn is doing there. Guess a strong case for GGG #1 can be made since Andre Ward has retired, wish he stuck around for a bit longer though.
Winner of Loma v Rigo will definitely be up there.

See this is what's peeing me off. A great sport but it's the corruption that's driving people away!
He is there because he beat Pacquiao:facepalm.
Don't why why Andre Ward retire...probably just can't be bother no one more.

El Loco

ENG....
He is there because he beat Pacquiao:facepalm.
Don't why why Andre Ward retire...probably just can't be bother no one more.
Yeah I saw it was an entertaining to watch but Horn kept going in with his head and opening up cuts on Pac's face. He had good aggressive intent but his style was very crude and it was almost as if they gave him the fight just because he didn't get KOd.

Master Khan

National Board President
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Yeah I saw it was an entertaining to watch but Horn kept going in with his head and opening up cuts on Pac's face. He had good aggressive intent but his style was very crude and it was almost as if they gave him the fight just because he didn't get KOd.
and also it was Australia his Home country.

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Hey boys been keeping a sneaky eye on this thread for a bit, I love boxing but unfortunately don't really watch as many fights as I'd like to due to having no pay tv, I mainly keep an eye on YouTube and word of mouth to keep tabs on current fighters, atm I could probably name a handful of fighters I've heard of... Mayweather, pac man, jeff horn, Anthony Joshua, Tyson fury, Klitschko, golovkin and vasyl lovachenko (spell check).

Would have to say from the fighters of today that I've seen and can remember lovachenko would be the one that stands out to me the most as he is an absolute beast and throws some of the most outrageously long and accurate combinations I've ever seen lol he's surely going to be the next big thing, surely!

I reckon Muhammad Ali is the greatest boxer of all time, cliched maybe, but if people seen what Foreman done to Frazier after Frazier beat an undefeated Ali in the "fight of the century" to become the undisputed undefeated heavyweight then most people would have a greater appreciation of Ali's rope a dope strategy against Foreman. Such a bloody shame Parkinson's affected his life so much after boxing, would have been some very interesting observations of boxers and boxing in general through the generations up until now if he was well enough, oh well r.i.p to the greatest of all time you gave us plenty enough in your time as it was.

El Loco

ENG....
Would have to say from the fighters of today that I've seen and can remember lovachenko would be the one that stands out to me the most as he is an absolute beast and throws some of the most outrageously long and accurate combinations I've ever seen lol he's surely going to be the next big thing, surely.
Yeah he's got blistering handspeed, and his defensive technique with the constant head and feet movement is very impressive. The way he made Nicholas Walters quit because he couldn't land anything was very Duran-esque. Love seeing fighters get made to miss.

Although he's shown the skills I don't think he quite has the resume to back it up yet though, it's just HBO hyping him up because he's signed to their network, he's still got quite a way to go before he justifies that No.1 P4P spot. Granted, he does have a superb amateur pedigree but he still hasn't fully proved himself in the professional ranks yet.
For some reason he doesn't seem keen on avenging that loss to Salido. His next fight against Rigondeaux will be his biggest test yet but I'm rooting for Rigo lol so interested to see how that'll turn out. One of the most intriguing match-ups of recent times.

Yup Ali really was in a league of his own. I'd rate his performance against Cleveland Williams as his best as that was when he was at the peak of his abilities, his lateral movement, the way he just moved in out of the pocket offloading dazzling combinations with ease, he showcased everything he had in his locker that day.
Can't imagine how frustrating it must've been for the opponent when they had Ali in the corner but he was just bobbing and weaving out the way of every punch like it was nothing.

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Yeah he's got blistering handspeed, and his defensive technique with the constant head and feet movement is very impressive. The way he made Nicholas Walters quit because he couldn't land anything was very Duran-esque. Love seeing fighters get made to miss.

Although he's shown the skills I don't think he quite has the resume to back it up yet though, it's just HBO hyping him up because he's signed to their network, he's still got quite a way to go before he justifies that No.1 P4P spot. Granted, he does have a superb amateur pedigree but he still hasn't fully proved himself in the professional ranks yet.
For some reason he doesn't seem keen on avenging that loss to Salido. His next fight against Rigondeaux will be his biggest test yet but I'm rooting for Rigo lol so interested to see how that'll turn out. One of the most intriguing match-ups of recent times.

Yup Ali really was in a league of his own. I'd rate his performance against Cleveland Williams as his best as that was when he was at the peak of his abilities, his lateral movement, the way he just moved in out of the pocket offloading dazzling combinations with ease, he showcased everything he had in his locker that day.
Can't imagine how frustrating it must've been for the opponent when they had Ali in the corner but he was just bobbing and weaving out the way of every punch like it was nothing.
Haha he was brilliant wasn't he! I just re-watched that fight, it was amazing! The way he picked up the tempo and the way he kept Cleveland right in his distance for the whole fight sometimes with out even throwing punches just like you say using his lateral movement and bobbing and weaving.

Yeah I haven't really watched a lot of fights recently, and struggle to keep up with all the names, but would be interested to know who and what to look out for so please keep me in the loop if you can @El Loco !

Been watching watching a few old fights, I generally pick a boxer or an era and do my own little case study through you tube lol, have you seen the tony hearns vs sugar ray 1 and 2, hearns vs hagler fights? There were some seriously good fights there!

What's one of your favourite fights of this era or era's past?

El Loco

ENG....
Haha he was brilliant wasn't he! I just re-watched that fight, it was amazing! The way he picked up the tempo and the way he kept Cleveland right in his distance for the whole fight sometimes with out even throwing punches just like you say using his lateral movement and bobbing and weaving.

Yeah I haven't really watched a lot of fights recently, and struggle to keep up with all the names, but would be interested to know who and what to look out for so please keep me in the loop if you can @El Loco !

Been watching watching a few old fights, I generally pick a boxer or an era and do my own little case study through you tube lol, have you seen the tony hearns vs sugar ray 1 and 2, hearns vs hagler fights? There were some seriously good fights there!

What's one of your favourite fights of this era or era's past?
I've lost count of how many times I've watched Hagler Hearns! I will check out the Hearns fights, I haven't actually seen them properly. The other performances I've seen of Sugar Ray are the one's against Duran and Marvin Hagler, also his attempted comeback against Camacho.

What other fights would I also put up there? Off the top of my head...
De La Hoya v Moseley 1 (especially towards the end), Riddick Bowe v Evander Holyfield 1, Prince Naseem v Kelly.
From recent memory I'd choose Guillermo Rigondeaux v Nonito Donaire, Tim Bradley v Ruslan Provodnikov and also the most recent Pac v Marquez fight.
Surprisingly I haven't watched past highlight reel of any of the Ward-Gatti fights! Plan to do that at some point too.

While sifting through my memory for an answer to your question, I have to say, this has been a rather lacklustre era for heavyweights thus far. AJs most recent encounter against Klitschko was a good watch though. Was hoping for a rematch but Klit decided to retire before it could be made. Had so much hope riding on Tyson Fury but now he's spent so much time out it's coming to the point where I don't really have any expectations for him anymore. I remember watching him toy with Klitschko for 12 rounds, what a performance it was, a lot of people complained that it wasn't entertaining, but you could tell he knew exactly what he was doing and set about doing it in a methodical fashion.

As far as upcoming fights go, Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux you'll definitely want to watch if you have the time. Haven't been this excited since Ward v Kovalev earlier in the year.
Also a domestic clash, Haye v Bellew 2, a lot of bad blood between them both, was a good first fight. I think Haye came out with the wrong strategy last time out and also tore his Achilles tendon before his corner threw in the towel so I think he should get the win this time round by stoppage. He doesn't look as blown up as he did last time out too, more like the cruiserweight Haye of old.

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Onto it pal- I'll look them up, thanks man :thumbs

El Loco

ENG....
This was supposed to be the best match-up of the night but it only lasted until 20 seconds before the end of the first round!

Last edited:

El Loco

ENG....
Can't wait for groves v eubank jnr, going to be a great fight.
Eubank's first proper test since that great fight he had with Billie Joe Saunders three years ago.
His career has been managed quite bizarrely up till this point especially the decision he made to go for the British title when he was in a mandatory position to fight for the WBA world championship. Also Eddie Hearn gave him a great opportunity to fight Golovkin which he passed up and it went to Kell Brook instead lol.

Now he's got himself a paper belt at Super Middleweight, as they say a title is only as good as the opponents you beat to win it so it doesn't mean much at this point but this'll be a great challenge for him, I'd say Groves is the favourite going into this one.

Users who are viewing this thread